WTB: Thick 1" VPI tonearm board for HW-19

orthobiz

WTB: Thick 1" VPI tonearm board for HW-19
« on: 10 Mar 2011, 12:31 am »
Got a thick platter and my Audioquest is straining too high!

Paul

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Re: WTB: Thick 1" VPI tonearm board for HW-19
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2011, 12:42 am »
Do you have the tools to make one Paul ??
How are you.............Bill

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2011, 01:58 am »
No tools to make it. Some places on the web will tool it for you, fairly reasonable. I'm fine. Been doing surgery on my HW-19, pics to come in a few weeks!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2011, 10:43 am »
Somebody has one just sitting around. I can take either a Linn or Rega drilling (211 or 222 spindle to pivot distance). There's one on eBay right now, seller doesn't even know what he has, it's drilled for an SME, though...

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2011, 02:30 pm »
Anyone?

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2011, 03:03 pm »
The problem is finding stock wood that is 1" thick. I've got a drill press that could handle almost any reasonable size hole, and I also have a cut off saw, but, right now, the 1" thick stuff is the problem. Can you live with the existing board and use a spacer to lift the tone arm height?

Wayner

bacobits1

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2011, 04:08 pm »
That Arm Board is 1" black Acrylic normally. Go to a Plexi place they should have some cut, maybe a waste piece? I replaced mine when I had the VPI, through VPI, it was expensive over $80 but drilled correctly for the arm.
Corian waste piece maybe? Dampened with cork on the bottom?

D

orthobiz

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2011, 04:23 pm »
Thanks Wayner and Baco!

I know I can do a workaround, I'll stop bumping this thread soon. Currently I have custom tonearm spacers from VPI that raise my AQ PT-9. I have a whole box of VPI parts and figure someone may have something out there...VPI no longer supports the thick tonearm board. It has to be specially beveled to miss the platter. Someone sold one on eBay recently, cut for an SME arm.

Paul

pboser

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:51 am »
I have an extra one that I got with my MKIV.  It has a few small holes drilled in it - not sure for what arm.  It certainly has the potential to be drilled for a conventional arm like the AQ.  If you're interested let me know.
Pete
pboser at yahoo dot com