*** SOLD*** Harman Kardon HK720 for sale - with pics

G E

Original owner of this well-regarded turntable from the early 1980's. Sometimes referred to as the “poor man's Linn”. I got it in 1980.

You may be more familiar with their T20 / T30 / T40 / T60 line. This is the model that preceded all of these and as such has some premium features that were only found in their higher end offerings. Its tonearm is the same ITO Microrace featured on these other models.

This table plays 33 and 45 RPM speeds and features a trim pot to dial in the exact speed. This is easily checked as the rim of the platter has strobe markings that are tracked by the built in strobe light at the corner of the table, which also functions as the off-on indicator for the power supply.

One can also adjust the cartridge loading by way of a selector switch on the front panel.

This is a semiautomatic table that lifts the tonearm and returns it to its rest upon completion of playback. One must manually cue up and start record playback. There is a cue lever to lower and raise the tonearm. Moving the tonearm from rest to the record turns on the deck.

I bought this TT in 1980 and it was used quite a bit until I got a CD player in 1984. It wasn't played much again (was even packed away for several years - always in a conditioned space) until I got back into vinyl in January 2011. Usage typically 6-8 hours a week until I replaced it with a Well Tempered Amadeus Feb 2014 and it was retired.

This record player will support a decent cartridge. For 6 months I used an entry level Grado (included), then switched to the Grado Sonata v1. That was a substantial boost in playback quality. I used this with Hagerman's Bugle phono preamp (original version with the dual rail regulated power supply). And that was the beginning of the end of digital playback in Man Cave #1.

<=====This HK720 has been modified from its original form in several important ways=====>

• 1) The power supply board and transformer have been removed from the plinth and put in a separate housing with a master power switch. The electrolytic capacitor was replaced. The transformer no longer causes hum by either vibration or EMI. This was a procedure recommended by Frank van Alstine for owners of Harman Kardon turntables.

2) The interior of the plinth is treated with plasticene (or equivalent) to eliminate resonances.

3) The tonearm has two thin bands of plasticene (or equivalent) installed by Frank van Alstine when he installed his Grado Longhorn cartridge in 1980.

4) The captive audio out cable and grounding line were removed. RCA jacks were installed as was a grounding stud. Be sure to use shielded cables! None are included.

5) The original rubber mat is replaced by a cork mat of approximately the same thickness.
    The entry level Grado Cartridge mentioned above is included. It is the one that I used for about 6 months before I upgraded to the Sonata. Plenty of life left in it.

I have performed a proper alignment using tools provided by “Wayner” a mechanical engineer and long term colleague of Frank van Alstine. They are NOT included. The original paper alignment tool provided by HK is long gone. Doesn't matter- you need a better one anyway. But alignment for this cartridge is dialed in.

<==Please note that VTA is not adjustable nor is azimuth==>

Also included is a spare belt, a second cork mat without geometric design nor "pepperoni slices", and the owners manual.

Condition:

I'd rate this a 7/10. The dustcover has some scratches but the hinges are intact. The plinth is in good shape for its age. Some marks here and there. The shipping boxes are long gone but I have ample foam and styrofoam sheeting to safely pack this.

A friend of mine used this for a few weeks recently in his second system and he was impressed with it. High praise as he has a Transrotor magnet drive table in his primary system.

$179.00

Shipping/insurance additional, US sales only, PayPal (I pay fees).

Outboard power supply

« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2020, 04:51 pm by G E »

bacobits1

Re: Harman Kardon HK720 for sale
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2020, 11:05 pm »
You must post a price.
Quite lazy directing it to another site listing.

RDavidson

Re: Harman Kardon HK720 for sale
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2020, 11:11 pm »
One of the rules is that your ad cannot simply be a link to another site where you're selling the item.

G E

Re: Harman Kardon HK720 for sale - with pics
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2020, 05:46 pm »
Now ***SOLD***

Plus shipping/insurance. US sales only, PayPal (I pay fees).
« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2020, 04:52 pm by G E »