WTB: USB to spdif converter

hatrack71

• beyond help..
WTB: USB to spdif converter
« on: 1 Jun 2019, 07:07 am »
Looking for a decent usb to spdif coax/ toslink converter. Something to replace the Firestone Bravo that gave up on me.

firedog

Re: WTB: USB to spdif converter
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2019, 10:09 am »
What's the budget?

I have a iFi nano iOne, which does USB to Coax conversion and also adds in a DAC and a Bluetooth receiver, if you wan't to use those features. Powered from USB, so no WW necessary. Supposedly does "cleaning, reclocking, etc" of the signal.
I find it more than suitable.
It lists for $199 but can often be found at a substantial discount. I got one for $130.

Wyred4sound makes a well regarded one for $299 list.

There are dozens on the market from under a $hundred to about $2000.

hatrack71

• beyond help..
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2019, 10:47 am »
I just want the converter, not an all in one DAC. More digital outputs is better. Looking for something from Firestone, Stello, Wyred For Sound, Bel Canto, Matrix, M2Tech (not the dongles), Wavelength Audio, Channel Islands... others of the same pedigree. Budget is up to $300 used.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2019, 04:26 pm »
Both of these are excellent USB to SPDiF converters manufacturers.

Slightly over your budget:

https://www.ciunas.biz/product-page/iso-spdif-no-hub-isolated-usb-to-spdif-converter

There's no price listed, but I suspect it's in the ballpark of your budget:

https://ar-t.co/VELOCE.html

There's a Schiit Eitr and a DAC USB converter. Both sell for less than $300. I haven't tried the Eitr. [I read somewhere that it will be discontinued.] I recently tried the Digital Amplifier converter and sent it back. Perhaps it will sound better in your system than it did in mine??

Michael