2bigears

Re: Super Mini build
« Reply #20 on: 9 Aug 2019, 03:41 pm »
 :D looks great,, X-over work is very neatly done.  Nice project.    :D

nrenter

« Reply #21 on: 9 Aug 2019, 09:27 pm »
Jay / Danny,

Not intending to crap on this thread, but...given the challenges of a DIY'er to apply paint worthy of this speaker, have you thought about going all "Vandersteen" on this design, i.e. putting a couple of dowels in the rear corners, CNC'ing some nice hardwood caps for the tops and bottoms, and wrapping the speaker in fabric? I could see offering just enough fabric to staple the ends to the dowels, allowing for a twist or 2 to cover the staples and pull taught (the back would remain open for access to the drivers and crossovers). The caps would have holes for the dowels, grooves to seat the wings, and a narrow groove for the edge of the fabric to fit into. Depending on the hardwood used, a simple tung oil finish may be all that is necessary.

Just some Friday afternoon thoughts.

Captainhemo

« Reply #22 on: 10 Aug 2019, 03:30 am »
Ben
go  easy  on  yourself man.    doing  a  great  job.    Always  remember, lot's of  light  coats    using  a  spary bomb is  always   gong to  result in better finish.  Block sanding  between coats    is the  way  to go... over  and over..   Will eventually  result
 in    a  gorgeous  finish.

jay

rockdrummer

« Reply #23 on: 24 Aug 2019, 03:13 am »
Hi there. I'm back, and here is the embarrassing story I have.
I got the replacement driver from Danny, got it wired up and it worked great. Soldered in the bypass caps and hooked up my stereomour from bottlehead and it sounded great. Not lots of headroom (3.5 watts).

So I tried the bottlehead battery powered quickie preamp into the Folsom 7297 chip amp. Sounded great, but before the song was over, popping, crackling and lots of intermittent fuzz started. I tried swapping everything I could and it was still there. No idea how I was going to fix the gear. Turns out it was the directv box on the shelf below it. Took too many days to figure that out.

Love the sound, even in my untreated room.
I was going to put grill cloth over the drivers but behind the baffle, just didn't fit.

Now I am looking for best treatments to make and install to improve my imaging.

Thanks for looking and when I get a better handle on the sound to give a little review, I will.
Ben

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 24 Aug 2019, 03:21 am »
They look really good!

I find the wall behind them is really good with diffusion panels.  Has worked really well in two different rooms.

mkane

« Reply #25 on: 24 Aug 2019, 09:19 pm »
^^^^^^^^without a doubt that made a huge difference in our room.

rockdrummer

« Reply #26 on: 27 Aug 2019, 05:43 pm »
Hi everyone, I have a spike question.

Has anyone used parts express spikes for under servo h frame subs?  I have been testing placement for quite a while, and there's lots of vibration reaching up to the top of my super mini's.  I knew I would be needing spikes on this carpet, but i couldn't find weight ratings for the spikes on parts express.  There are Dayton Audio outriggers which I would certainly entertain, but wasn't sure the look was what I wanted.  I did want to keep cost down, but if the heavy subs with a topper on them needs a substantial spike, I don't know what it is.

I was hoping to stay under $100 for 8 spikes.

Thanks for any info you all have.
Ben

Nick77

« Reply #27 on: 27 Aug 2019, 05:57 pm »
Hi everyone, I have a spike question.

Has anyone used parts express spikes for under servo h frame subs?  I have been testing placement for quite a while, and there's lots of vibration reaching up to the top of my super mini's.  I knew I would be needing spikes on this carpet, but i couldn't find weight ratings for the spikes on parts express.  There are Dayton Audio outriggers which I would certainly entertain, but wasn't sure the look was what I wanted.  I did want to keep cost down, but if the heavy subs with a topper on them needs a substantial spike, I don't know what it is.

I was hoping to stay under $100 for 8 spikes.

Thanks for any info you all have.
Ben

I noticed Hal was using isolation under the Mini to isolate from base. Maybe he will chime in.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 27 Aug 2019, 05:58 pm »
Here is an alternative from Danny:

http://gr-research.com/floorspikes-chromesetof4.aspx

I use HVAC vibration blocks between the planar baffle and subs. 

rockdrummer

« Reply #29 on: 27 Aug 2019, 06:04 pm »
I had those spikes from Danny on my super v kit.  I was hoping to stay shorter. 

Thanks for the quick responses!
Ben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 27 Aug 2019, 06:52 pm »
I don’t have spikes under the H-frames but I have Herbie’s Fat Dots between the monitor and H-Frame

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #31 on: 27 Aug 2019, 07:10 pm »
Might wanna give a couple sheets of  Sorbathane a try too (betwen  Super Mini's and  Sub tops)
I've used it between  the  Encores and subs,  Otica MtM's  & subs and now a nice thick layer between my crossovers and sub tops on the  Super7's.

It also  will  totally stick your speakers in place
jay

pankon

« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2020, 05:42 pm »
I had those spikes from Danny on my super v kit.  I was hoping to stay shorter. 

Thanks for the quick responses!
Ben

Hey rockdrummer,

So, what's the verdict? How do the Super Minis integrate with the OB subs? Do you feel that they may be a bit thin in the mid-bass?

I am very curious about your experience, because I am thinking of a similar setup for myself.

Thanks
Panos

rockdrummer

« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2020, 05:58 pm »
Hey, I wish i had the ears and expertise/experience to answer that.  i would have to say I'm loving them.  They have around 60-80 hours on them.  I've not had as much listening as I'd like, and i don't run them for long periods to burn them in.

I love the openness and the spacial soundstage.  The clarity of the particular instruments and vocal details is breathtaking. 

The comparison between models with and without that mid-bass heftiness is not something I can speak to.  I wish i could.  If some of you sat in my listening room, and i really wish it could happen!!!, I bet there could be some really good insight on my room/system.  I don't have a good ear for what my rig is missing.  Just what i hear now compared to before. 

The subs sound good with the super minis. I LOVE the servo subs.  For example, they reveal the type of pedal, and even tuning of the bass drum...Which I had not heard in other subs I have used.  Top notch integration, I'm just doing the basics of levels.  I feel I have some to learn about sub integration.  I will be eventually building stands for the minis.  The sub sounds travel up the baffle of the tops.  The subs are spiked and they don't wiggle, but I can easily feel them through the tops when they play.

I think it would be fun to hear them with the servo stands that are being planned, but I don't see that happening for me due to funding.

An upgrade for me would have to be quite a big deal, because I love this set up, room treatments to come.

Sorry I can't be more help about specific details about the presence of sound quality.
Ben