Blu Ray is Dying

wushuliu

Blu Ray is Dying
« on: 11 May 2014, 03:20 pm »
This comes as no surprise. Streaming has become competitive quickly and is improving all the time. The major cable companies are merging to form monopolies and kill net neutrality, Netflix and Amazon are duking it out over content partnerships, devices, and original programming, Apple is looking to buy Beats, and on and on meanwhile Blu ray sales are plummeting sharply, much faster than Sony anticipated. I think the average consumer hit a threshold of value with blu-ray similar to cd vs. sa-cd. Most people simply don't think blu ray is that much better than dvd and certainly not more convenient than streaming especially as streaming quality is approaching blu ray quality and improving all the time.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248082/Bye_bye_Blu_ray_Video_on_demand_and_streaming_options_are_gaining_on_you_

ctviggen

Re: Blu Ray is Dying
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2014, 03:32 pm »
What kills me about Bluray is that they package everything with DVD, Bluray, and electronic file.  I simply want the Bluray.  Just sell me the Bluray disk for $10 and forget about the other crap.

As for streaming equaling the quality of Bluray, I personally find that hard to believe.  Maybe on a 32 inch set you watch from across the room, but on anything bigger or closer, it's no where close.  See, eg:

http://hdguru.com/blu-ray-vs-hdtv-streaming-services-a-quality-comparison-review/

Also, I like to own things, and streaming doesn't allow me to own it.  On the other hand, I find there are so few movies I'd really like to own, that I tend to buy fewer of them.  Also, DVDs used to cost less than $20 easily and typically more like $10.  Now that they include Bluray/DVD/electronic copy, it's hard to find something for less than $25.  Get it to $10, and I'll buy it.  Keep it at $25, and I'd rather rent it first. 

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2014, 03:57 pm »
As for streaming equaling the quality of Bluray, I personally find that hard to believe.  Maybe on a 32 inch set you watch from across the room, but on anything bigger or closer, it's no where close.  See, eg:

That's why I said approaching, although on my 720p 50 in plasma streaming Netflix it looks excellent. Even better resolution is right around the corner as mentioned in the article:

About to put even more pressure on physical disc formats, Gray said, is the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) video compression standard, which doubles the amount of data that can currently be streamed while keeping the "high-definition" format. HEVC can support 8K Ultra-High Definition content with resolutions up to 8192x4320

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2014, 04:03 pm »
I stream a lot more now than I once did, but streaming just doesn't match Bluray's picture quality IMHO. I seldom buy Bluray because of the exorbitant prices ($25-$30). If the price were under $20 and there were more worthwhile titles available, I would buy more Bluray movies/titles.

I just reflected on something I just typed. I'm willing to spend $25 on a high resolution CD or download because I know I will listen to it many times. However, I tend to not watch the same movie more than once or twice per year--if that even.

I expect increased competition from streaming to force prices of Bluray down. Perhaps it will drop enough to better entice me?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2014, 02:04 pm »
What kills me about Bluray is that they package everything with DVD, Bluray, and electronic file.  I simply want the Bluray.  Just sell me the Bluray disk for $10 and forget about the other crap.
I agree, and have thought the same thing.
Now that I think about it.....There should be a website where you can "partner up" with somebody to split the cost of a BluRay.
One of you gets the disc, the other one gets the download code.

Cool idea, huh?  :eyebrows:
Bob

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2014, 02:54 pm »
Consumers choosing convenience over quality, as Steve Jobs proved with itunes...

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2014, 04:28 pm »
I'm not a videophile, I guess because I just want to watch the shows, so streaming is quite fine for me.  I am not paying $25/disc.  I won't even pay $10/disc unless it is a shows that I absolutely love as I don't typically rewatch anything.   I think I own 5-10 movies total, and would part with many of those.

I rarely see the point in watching something I already watched unless it achieved cult status with me.

Mathew_M

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2014, 07:18 pm »
Actually those of us with kids like having multiple formats included.  Blu-rays for the home player, DVDs for the road trips and streaming for those times when you're waiting at a public place and the kids are acting up and you need something to distract them on your iPhone.

As for Netflix, it's not a cure-all.  Great kids selection.  Good documentary selection.  Decent television series selection.  Terrible movie selection. 

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2014, 07:43 pm »
Actually those of us with kids like having multiple formats included.  Blu-rays for the home player, DVDs for the road trips and streaming for those times when you're waiting at a public place and the kids are acting up and you need something to distract them on your iPhone.

There could be both, solely Bluray for those of us who want it and three formats for others.  For some reason, there isn't.

I have a three year old and a six year old, but try not to use electronic devices for the kids.  For instance, we have no (that is, zero) kid iPad apps.  We have let them watch DVDs on the iPad for very long trips in the car, but it's been rare.  We're the family at the table in the restaurant with a "dinner bag" filled with crayons, legos, books, etc., and we don't let them use electronic devices.  Maybe when they're teens or tweens, but until then, we prefer to engage them in conversation.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2014, 08:01 pm »
There could be both, solely Bluray for those of us who want it and three formats for others.  For some reason, there isn't.

I have a three year old and a six year old, but try not to use electronic devices for the kids.  For instance, we have no (that is, zero) kid iPad apps.  We have let them watch DVDs on the iPad for very long trips in the car, but it's been rare.  We're the family at the table in the restaurant with a "dinner bag" filled with crayons, legos, books, etc., and we don't let them use electronic devices.  Maybe when they're teens or tweens, but until then, we prefer to engage them in conversation.

Hey, what are you trying to do -- raise smart kids with good social skills?? That's poor parenting.  :lol:

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2014, 08:09 pm »
Lately, I haven't been impressed with the quality of blu-ray. I expected the quality of blu-ray to become consistently better than DVD, but many of them are not significantly better than the DVD, and they definitely don't deserve to be priced at $25. The quality of streaming still sucks, as well, so until the streaming technology improves, we're kinda stuck with two formats that don't work well for many consumers. I think it will take several more years before true HD streaming really takes off.       

Mathew_M

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2014, 10:27 pm »

Ah, the perfect parent.  I should have known at least one would comment on my poor parenting skills  :nono:  Let me guess, your kids also eat all of their vegetables and never beg for a Happy Meal.

Mathew_M

« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2014, 10:33 pm »

Yeah, well that's economics.  Stores only have so much shelf space.  Already, there is the DVD only release, the blu-ray combo and then the 3d.  I guess they could eliminate the 3d release but then the videophiles would complain.  Point is nobody is ever happy including the perfect parents.   :duh:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2014, 11:04 pm »
I hate to see the death of Physical Media. I understand that the various Studios and/or Labels want to make money, but I still remember when Blu first started coming out, they talked about the high price at the launch would be lowered as start-up costs were recovered, yet this doesn't seem to have happened. The price for new releases of the big movies is still around $30 for Blu as opposed to less than $20 for DVD (I usually see them at about $19 and change). This $10 per disc difference is ridiculous at this stage. It's also frustrating how some studios are still charging $25+ for older Blu Rays ( :wave: Disney!)

I have greatly reduced my purchases from the level of a year or so ago due to my increasing frustration about this. I'll pay for a good Concert on Blu, simply due to the fact that I usually watch Concerts several times as opposed to movies, which is usually just once or twice.

Ah well. Things change. I'm stuck in the sticks with no low cost High Speed Internet available, and not likely in the near future either. As our illustrious leaders vote to change the way the Internet is delivered to us, more people may be staring at increased costs for data intensive tasks in the not too distant future and it may delay the demise of Physical Media for awhile.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2014, 11:42 pm »
I had VHS tapes. Then I had a lot of Laserdiscs.. Then I bought a LOT LOT of DVDs.. and 'threw away thousands of dollars worth of laserdiscs..
Then along came BluRay. No way.. I HAVE all the movies i ever wanted in DVD. And with an upsampling player that is all I 'have to have'. No way way am I going to rebuy anything on Bluray.
And THAT is the crux of the BluRay problem. Folks DID rebuy everything on DVD. And then Sony 'Assumed' everyone would also rebuy everything on BluRay? Not gonna happen. BluRay is NOT a big enough jump in quality to make that happen.

IMO BluRay was a mistake in the first place. Not a big enough jump in quality to make EVERYONE (like me) say HolyCow I gotta have that!
Now with DVD, the minute I saw a DVD on a HiDef TV and compared it to a laserdisc it was a no brainer, I HAD to have the DVDs.. BluRay. NO. it is hardly any better than upsampled  DVD.

Sony should have just waited.. The HD-DVD would have been fun for a few folks but it would have failed even without the BluRay competition because it too was nothing better in a meaningful way.

They SHOULD have waited for the next generation and 4x 4000 level.. Then they could have cleaned house.

IMO CD, and DVD ruined all the big companies because they made billions on those product introductions. And expected to do it over again, and again. Not gonna happen.

Mathew_M

« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2014, 12:15 am »
I understand those who amassed large DVD collections not investing in Blu. I rarely buy movies for myself anymore. However I do appreciate the combo releases for kids movies for the reasons listed above.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2014, 12:33 am »
Blu Ray is dying because Block Buster died and streaming is taking over.   I have not used my BRP more than once since Block Bluster closed.

Mudslide

« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2014, 04:12 am »
One thing not mentioned here...streaming AUDIO...in my experience is awful and not at all up to even DD disc standards.  The bandwidth just isn't there for quality streaming in anything I've seen. 

I do see that there is a 4K streaming service model in the winds.  Perhaps then the video will wow us...although there are still bandwidth limitations everywhere.  And will signals be compressed...thus compression artifacts in gear?  Netflix is talking 4K and can't even meet 1080p standards.

Dunno, guys.  I'm sticking with BD.  And oh yeah...I think we all lost when BD killed off HD-DVD, which was in every way the equal of bluray.  No competition = higher prices.  (Note BD discs went directly from <~$15 to $30.)

A link ... http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/everything-need-know-streaming-ultra-hd-2014/#!OGUfd

kingdeezie

« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2014, 04:32 am »
One thing not mentioned here...streaming AUDIO...in my experience is awful and not at all up to even DD disc standards.  The bandwidth just isn't there for quality streaming in anything I've seen. 

I do see that there is a 4K streaming service model in the winds.  Perhaps then the video will wow us...although there are still bandwidth limitations everywhere.  And will signals be compressed...thus compression artifacts in gear?  Netflix is talking 4K and can't even meet 1080p standards.

Dunno, guys.  I'm sticking with BD.  And oh yeah...I think we all lost when BD killed off HD-DVD, which was in every way the equal of bluray.  No competition = higher prices.  (Note BD discs went directly from <~$15 to $30.)

A link ... http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/everything-need-know-streaming-ultra-hd-2014/#!OGUfd

I agree with you about the audio, streaming audio in most cases sounds horribly compressed. After watching the first three seasons of Game of Thrones on bluray, watching season 4 on HBOGo has been a true testament to the mediocrity of AQ and PQ of streaming.

However,  HDDVD and Bluray equal in everyway? Come on, HDDVD was a deserved flop.

The format held 20 GBs less then bluray. Equality?  Studios were already cutting corners with HDDVD releases a year after release. Remember Transformers? They had to put a second rate DD+ audio track, instead of lossless because they ran out of space.

Furthermore, they generally used low bit rate VC-1 compression to conserve space, which, IMHO, does not compare to the higher bit rate stuff we see on bluray today.

Do you think HDDVD could have ever fathomed providing us with a 3D or high PQ transfer with lossless audio? Never.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2014, 04:59 am »
Sound quality is also the #1 reason I prefer blu ray. Dolby digital plus for streaming is a nice step up from no multichannel audio for streaming, but still is pretty far behind DTS Master Audio and DD Tru HD on blu ray.  Picture quality does seem to have improved a lot for streaming though.