VR 35 Mk II

walterslw

Re: VR 35 Mk II
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jul 2014, 02:45 pm »
Thanks gammajo - my rear ambiance is also set to 3.  I may move them further apart - I haven't tried that yet, can likely go another foot or so without running out of speaker wire ;-)   My stage is actually amazing - very nice.  My problem is the lack of any side walls in my basement they are way too far away - so perhaps moving the speakers further apart may be a good thing.   I think the base is nicely locking into the room now, but still extremely tight as not being fully broken in ;-).  Base sounds a little chesty - just a bit - but this is (in my experience) what un-spiked or coned speakers sound like in my basement.   I cranked them last night for a bit, and my gosh, I had a smile so massive!  Love it!   Overall though, I wont be doing any critical listening until I hit 300 - 400 hours.  We will be heading out of town in a couple of weeks, so I can keep em running with some loud rock.

walterslw

« Reply #41 on: 27 Jul 2014, 07:48 pm »
I may be ready to spike these babies....  I'm loving what I hear now.  43 inches from the back wall to the front baffle.  About a 1.5 degree toe in.  10 feet tweet to tweet.  Base is tight, fast and goes deep, nice!  No boom either.   Stage is very wide and deep considering 43 inches from the wall.  I think I'm gonna spike 'em!

walterslw

« Reply #42 on: 27 Jul 2014, 07:49 pm »
Oh and I'm sitting about 8 feet in front of them with a few feet behind me to the stairwell.  Great stuff!

gammajo

« Reply #43 on: 27 Jul 2014, 08:27 pm »
Sounds like to are getting there - congrats! I have five days home alone, so putting on the hours on the amps quickly and having a lot of fun. Thye were good out of the box, then thinned out and got a bit brittle, now becoming more liquid,  the weight is back and becoming more relaxed. .

walterslw

« Reply #44 on: 29 Jul 2014, 11:46 am »
Gammajo I meant to ask you what preamp you are using with the ref 20's?

gammajo

« Reply #45 on: 29 Jul 2014, 01:26 pm »
I use an Ayon CD5's which has a transport, DAC and tubed preamp, all in one, which creates a very direct signal path which requires two less power cords and two less sets of interconnects. This allowed me to spring for the one set of balanced interconnects that I need with the VSA Ultra cable.  This simplicity results in a very clear, clean, quiet and responsive circuit

VSA_Production

« Reply #46 on: 31 Jul 2014, 06:32 pm »
Walter,

We here at VSA are so excited to read your post and are very happy that you chose VSA's VR-5 Anni's as your final speaker.  It has been our pleasure to build these for you and wish you happy listening for many years to come.  We love it when our VSA family sends us photo's of their listening rooms.  We are adding a gallery to our website of VSA owners listening rooms.

VSA