LDR300x.V3 Preamp Tour

MttBsh

Re: LDR300x.V3 Preamp Tour
« Reply #100 on: 10 Feb 2021, 12:00 am »
I run my Tortuga passive through a DAC King Stereo Maraschino (STM) Amplifier. I leave the STM volume knob turned all the way up and adjust the volume on the Tortuga using its Apple remote. 20-25 is normal listening volume, 35 is loud and 50 shakes the windows. Having the STM on full volume sounds best to me as opposed to lowering it and running the Tortuga at higher volume.

krustykat

« Reply #101 on: 10 Feb 2021, 12:37 am »
Thanks for the reply Morten.  I'd say that I probably would never push the volume past 100 as it is configured now, but it does feel odd to turn it so high as I'm probably used to having a preamp with gain.  I know my amp can handle more but probably only the electronics or my ears would be damaged at those levels anyway.  Its good to know that it can be changed if necessary.   I'll be testing in passive shortly, which I suspect will confirm your assessment of the dynamics. 

goofytwoshoes

« Reply #102 on: 10 Feb 2021, 01:49 am »

I'll be testing it in passive mode and also comparing directly against my LDR3.v25.   Stay Tuned.
  :popcorn:

My LDR3.v25 is in pieces at the moment as I prepare to switch to the ePot.V3 and OLED display.  I'm really looking forward to your thoughts. 

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #103 on: 15 Feb 2021, 08:29 pm »
If Mollydog sees this post or anyone knows how to reach Mollydog, please email me Mollydog's email address to morten@tortugaaudio.com.

Mollydog has signed up for the preamp tour but I don't have his contact info and he can't be reached via PM.

Thanks,
Morten

krustykat

« Reply #104 on: 15 Feb 2021, 08:41 pm »
So my week with the LDR300x.v3 has come to an end.  I was able to test it with both the Resistor and LDR volume controls and also tried it in Active and Passive modes.  Additionally I was able to compare it to my LDR3.V25 w/ OLED Display, which was updated from the older V20 version.

Testing the LDR300x.V3 in Active vs. Passive mode showed obvious differences.  In active mode, the soundstage was widest and also had more depth.  Decays lasted longer, adding to the perception of realism.  Dynamics were the most obvious change, much more powerful and quicker than in the passive mode.  Initially, I was quite unimpressed by the passive mode, but then I remembered that I had not run the impedance calibration against my system.    After calibration in passive mode I felt that the sound was greatly improved, but strong vocals or loud orchestral passages seemed to be a bit more compressed and veiled compared to active.   

Truthfully I could not discern too much difference in sound quality between my LDR3.V25 and the LDR300x.V3 in passive mode.  That makes me happy, as I'm going to need to use the LDR3.v25 in my main system while my main preamp is out of the system for repair.   The height of the LDR300x.v3  is about 2/3 of the LDR3.v25, otherwise they are very similar in size.  I/O for the two preamps is very similar, with the LDR3.v25 having an additional 12v trigger.  The USB port for updates is a micro USB vs. the relatively obscure USB A to USB A cable the LDR3.v25 uses.  The LDR300x.v3 uses pin connectors to tie the boards together, compared to the silver wiring between boards in the LDR3.v25.  I prefer the pin connectors on the LDR300x.v3 as it makes it easier to work on the unit if necessary.   And if I recall correctly, the LDR300x.v3 is also less expensive than the LDR3.v20 was.

Testing the LDR300x.v3 with the resistor based volume control was interesting.  It definitely did not have the frequency extension of the LDR.  Listening to Alison Krauss' and Robert Plant's "Polly Come Home" didn't let the very lowest bass frequencies (the ones you can feel) come through.  Likewise the highest frequencies were slightly damped, but as a plus, the very slight glare that I experienced with the LDRs did not exist.  Some people may like this sound more, I would definitely recommend trying both if you purchase this preamp. 

I did not try the amp in passive/resistor mode and can't comment on that configuration.

I do truly feel that the Tortuga LDR 300x.v3 delivers well above it's price point and would probably suit many audiophile systems.   Thanks Morten for letting your new child loose on the community.  Its nice to see how you continually work to upgrade and make your products more affordable!

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #105 on: 22 Feb 2021, 09:21 pm »
Hi All,

The tour is almost over with one more participant to go. Someone named Mollydog had also asked to participate but I don't think I received their contact info and their PM is blocked. So it goes.

1) uncola - HI
2) MttBsh - WA
3) Delta77 - CA
4) Emiel - AZ
5) LarryD56 - ID
6) Bob2 - MI
7) sruffle - NJ (up next)
8') krustykat - NC
9) GentleBender - FL

10) Audiosaurusrex - MA

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #106 on: 3 Mar 2021, 02:43 pm »
Gentle sent out the preamp yesterday and I should receive it on Friday keep you all posted!
More manufacturers should be this courteous and willing to share their products.
Thanks Morten!

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #107 on: 3 Mar 2021, 02:55 pm »
Gentle sent out the preamp yesterday and I should receive it on Friday keep you all posted!
More manufacturers should be this courteous and willing to share their products.
Thanks Morten!

Thanks for the update.
The reason most do not do this is the risk of a tour participant deciding to make it their life's purpose to tear down a particular product, technology and/or manufacturer. Basically the worst aspects of online social media and trollish behavior.
Offering tours involve a leap of faith and the possibility of being attacked.
I take some comfort from the fact that AudioCircle is one of the more civilized audio forums.
Enjoy the preamp. Let me know if you run into any problems. These tour units get a good workout and multiple shippings can shake things apart.

Cheers,
Morten

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #108 on: 4 Mar 2021, 09:01 pm »
The Turtle has landed  :D

Starting out with Royal Scam on my Modwright Pioneer LX500 this is going to be good!!

uncola

« Reply #109 on: 4 Mar 2021, 09:03 pm »
Nice looking spatials!  they match your rack perfectly.. almost as if intentionally lol

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #110 on: 4 Mar 2021, 11:31 pm »
Nice looking spatials!  they match your rack perfectly.. almost as if intentionally lol
Thanks Uncola, it’s great when it works out like that. Three great American Companies, Tortuga, Spatial and Timbernation!