Going phono with the Alabaster. Do you think it will catch on?

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
Right upto date with this newfangled technology thing and in the wake of CES 2015 of course we have put a phono stage in the Alabaster. Yes indeed. We hope to blaze a trail for all to follow.

Full news piece on our site: http://sonneteer.co.uk/blog/ and if you don't know what a phono stage is, here's a link to our high tech news page on the subject: http://sonneteer.co.uk/home/magazine/2012/05/24/exactly-phono-stage/

A Happy New year and CES to everyone.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

artk

Awesome. Just keep making it for another 2 yrs so that I can save money and buy one. This would make a perfect partner to my Harbeth speakers and Rega deck.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
I'm sure they will be about. :-) Alabaster been going for quite a while now.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

artk

Where is Sonneteer available in the US? Who distributes Sonneteer here? I would like to start a dialogue with the dealer or distributor. I can start saving for the Alabaster and maintain a working relationship with the seller.

I dropped you a PM at PFM with the serial number of my Campion. You were going to check on its age.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Hi Art

yes http://hifiservices.com/Sonneteer.aspx

Please contact them. Paul Manos is the main man. Please keep us upto date on how you get on.

With regards your Campion. Yes indeed. Sorry I always get your messages when I am out of the office and forget when I get there to check. I cannot access these records online unfortunately.

I will do my best to remember tomorrow morning.

Haider

Else keep pestering me please.

artk

...still waiting.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Oh yes,

Mid 2002. Sorry I did look it up yesterday and made a note. Our records were a bit sketchy then(written down mainly) and so not everything absolutely clear. It was part of a shipment to May Audio. So it is certainly of some Vintage.

Phew. i got there.

:-)

Haider

artk

Thank you, Haider. That is a lot older than I was lead to believe. Hmm.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Hi Art,

It is possible that the distributor at the time held it in stock for a while so was probably as new much later. They did buy quite a few of them. Considering it is a Campion it will not have differed much at all. we seldom change things unless absolutely needed or we really do make a leap in performance. In the Campion's case this happened years after that and most of the changes were due to component obsolescence.

I personally have a Mark 1 Campion and Mark 2 Byron(and a pair of Penaudio Rogue 6) in my office at home and I listen mostly through that one. The kids have the newer stuff. The Vintage combination I have is actually sweeter than many a 10k+ system I have heard. So I wouldn't be too concerned. To the wiser collector the older Sonneteers fetch a fair bit second hand. But few part with them.

Haider

artk

Hi Art,

It is possible that the distributor at the time held it in stock for a while so was probably as new much later. They did buy quite a few of them. Considering it is a Campion it will not have differed much at all. we seldom change things unless absolutely needed or we really do make a leap in performance. In the Campion's case this happened years after that and most of the changes were due to component obsolescence.

I personally have a Mark 1 Campion and Mark 2 Byron(and a pair of Penaudio Rogue 6) in my office at home and I listen mostly through that one. The kids have the newer stuff. The Vintage combination I have is actually sweeter than many a 10k+ system I have heard. So I wouldn't be too concerned. To the wiser collector the older Sonneteers fetch a fair bit second hand. But few part with them.

Haider

Thank you for the insight, Haider.

artk

Re: Going phono with the Alabaster. Do you think it will catch on?
« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2015, 12:58 pm »
Emailed the distributor 10 days ago and still no response.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2015, 01:51 pm »
Hi Art,

Hmm.. sorry about that. Ping them again. I will do too.

Just in case. I think their email server is a bit heavy handed and it used to dump me into spam (understandable some might say). May I pass on your email?

Haider

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2015, 05:24 pm »
Emailed the distributor 10 days ago and still no response.

Hi Again Art,

I just had an email from them and they (Paul Manos) said that they emailed you back on the 16th. So it simply may not have got to your inbox. He will get in touch again, but worth you following up anyway, perhaps by phone in case email is an issue.

Keep us posted.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

artk

« Reply #13 on: 26 Feb 2015, 12:32 pm »
Email is not an issue. He emailed me yesterday. Pretty sure they accidentally skipped by the original email. Seems like a good guy and I'm looking forward to developing that working relationship. Thanks again, Haider.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2015, 12:48 pm »
Great Stuff Art,

All the best with it.

Haider