Poll

Format Pesto: How do you mainly listen to your hifi music?

Vinyl only
7 (6.3%)
CD only
17 (15.2%)
CD and Vinyl
23 (20.5%)
iPod type Dock and DAC
2 (1.8%)
Computer through DAC
30 (26.8%)
Streamer from server/computer stored music.
18 (16.1%)
Streamer from online or cloud based music.
13 (11.6%)
I only listen to the BBC on the wireless
2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

How do you listen to your music these days? And more format pesto.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
Hi all,

As is clear from the blogs, fora and media the number of ways to listen to music have been on an exponential growth curve for the better part of a decade. In the past ways would come then go away only to be taken over completely by something new. Now it seems when a new format comes along it is simply added to the mix. Some formats become small, niche players but rarely do they truly die.

The advent of small children means at home most of our listening is streamed via internet radio or from music stored on a server. My hat is tipped to high end a little still as I am using a Morpheus and a very nice pair of Concert 11s. My  3 year old daughter's play room and my former music recording room has a Byron and a Campion. Wind the bobbin up is more oft played than Hail to a Thief these days. So most of my serious listening is done in the office/workshop as we test and develop.

From Vinyl to DSD, we'd really love to hear how you do it.

Haider

geowak

I like MOG. I have been exposed to so many musicians and genres that I might not hear. Its playable on my IPhone or Menu on my TV thru a Roku box. Sounds great to me....in a mobile world. I can take all my music...with me anywhere I go. For home, add a quality amp/preamp and DAC , throw in great speskers and your in!!

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Thank you,

So how do you have the system set up when you are listening at home? What plugs into the DAC?

Haider

jimdgoulding

Music lovers like moi began collecting a very long time ago.  LP's and CD's continue to capture, er, enrapture me.  I even like the fuss it involves.  I am a romantic, I suppose.  Besides that, I have some music that isn't available otherwise.  For every CD I have, I have 10 or more LP's :dunno:.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Admittedly I have some old LPs and 12" 45s that are rare and not available on CD or otherwise yet as far as I am aware.  The sad thing is I have not heard them for some years as convenience and a toddler filled household has not allowed.

Totally get the romance thing. Every time we test a Sedley, lifting that needle on to the record just seems right. Maybe someone will come up with an app with a virtual tone arm lifting. they may also come up with virtual kissing, eating and breathing then we wont even need to be alive to live.

Jesting aside it seems you have the rhythm of life just right. And you've given me an idea.........

Haider

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
You may want to create a poll which could generate more response from the lazy crowd.

For me it's probably 80% my music collection via my computer. Maybe 15% streaming (internet radio, pandora, etc) and 5% vinyl. Vinyl can create its own unique magic, but the convenience and quality of the remote controllable / sortable music on computer is really hard to beat.

stlrman

I'm all Spotify all the time. From iPhone to amp to
Vapor Breeze speakers. Sounds fantastic !
  I do listen to cd every now and then, but rarely .

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
You may want to create a poll which could generate more response from the lazy crowd.

Poll sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

regards your streamed music, what equipment do you use out of interest?

Haider

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
I'm all Spotify all the time. From iPhone to amp to
Vapor Breeze speakers. Sounds fantastic !
  I do listen to cd every now and then, but rarely .

Thanks for sharing. So how does your iPhone connect to your amp? Do you use a Dock or otherwise?

Haider

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Poll sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

regards your streamed music, what equipment do you use out of interest?

Haider

I use my iPhone or my Mac mini for streaming, either directly to a system or sometimes via AirPlay or Bluetooth for non critical listening.

By "direct" I mean for the iphone also using a pure i20 dock or a portable Logitech speaker. For the Mac mini a bel canto mlink USB to spdif converter to a bel canto 1.5 dac, or for my office Mac mini, an audioquest dragonfly.

geowak

I have two audio systems. I have a Pure audio I20 dock on each one for my Iphone. The signal is sent on to a Bifrost Uber DAC and into my Parasound Halo preamp and amp. I also have an optical switch to chose between the Iphone or Sony Es Cd player with the DAC controlling one or the other.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
For now spinning LPs and the silver disc. No computer yet. Now that high rez DSD is becoming mainstream by Sony it may be time to indulge. Call me old fashioned and color me happy.

charles

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
For now spinning LPs and the silver disc. No computer yet. Now that high rez DSD is becoming mainstream by Sony it may be time to indulge. Call me old fashioned and color me happy.

charles

If we have happiness then we have all. :) Yes the DSD thing finally finding a way to market does sound promising.

Haider

Jeffr1966

at work I listen to ...
« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2013, 03:06 pm »
a Sonneteer Morpheus!  8hrs a day of Internet Radio (mostly the station "Acoustic Alternative").  I keep a list by my desk of artists/songs I like that I hear throughout the day.  USUALLY I end up purchasing a CD of what I hear. 

HIGHLY recommend the Morpheus! (my shameless Sonneteer plug and NO I do not work or shill for the company ... in fact I had no idea they even HAD a circle on her til today)

Jeff

MaxCast

Didn't vote.  You may want to loosen the categories and allow more than one vote.
I listen to vinyl, streamer from computer files, CD and a good ole tuner.  In that order.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
New to this Poll thing. Sure I will loosen it.

I also am interested in the priority order as per your answer. So not sure how to get that out.

Any ideas?

Always open to suggestions.

Haider

artk

CD and vinyl only for me, Haider. CD primarily as I have an extensive library of CD's and no desire to spend even a moment ripping CD's. Too busy for that. In the not too distant future I will be adding some form of DSD player/streamer for the purchase and playback of new music. That is a year or two out but in the forefront of my mind. Meanwhile I continue to enjoy my Sonneteer Campion and through my Spendor A6R loudspeakers. CD will always remain an important part of my listening experience and I hope to one day add a Byron to my system. Cheers!!

HsvHeelFan

I ripped all my CDs to JRiver Media Center and a dedicated music server pc several years ago.

I rip to lossless FLAC files.  Backup to 2 separate Western Digital media drives.

HsvHeelFan

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
CD and vinyl only for me, Haider. CD primarily as I have an extensive library of CD's and no desire to spend even a moment ripping CD's. Too busy for that. In the not too distant future I will be adding some form of DSD player/streamer for the purchase and playback of new music. That is a year or two out but in the forefront of my mind. Meanwhile I continue to enjoy my Sonneteer Campion and through my Spendor A6R loudspeakers. CD will always remain an important part of my listening experience and I hope to one day add a Byron to my system. Cheers!!

Thank you Art.

Your DSD player comment is a very interesting one. This format seems to be bubbling under the high end surface. In principle I love the idea as I always liked the thinking behind it. Shame SACD never really happened.

Any thoughts on this Pure Audio format that is piggy backing on Blue Ray?

Haider

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
I ripped all my CDs to JRiver Media Center and a dedicated music server pc several years ago.

I rip to lossless FLAC files.  Backup to 2 separate Western Digital media drives.

HsvHeelFan

Thank you for sharing.

Did it take you a long while to rip everything? How are you finding FLAC compared to CD? Oh and how do you play them back?

Haider