HBO/ Movies, Shows , and Comedy

stlrman

HBO/ Movies, Shows , and Comedy
« on: 15 Nov 2016, 09:21 pm »
I just got HBO about six months ago. Loving it !!
  I would like to make this a sticky as I'm sure many of us have and enjoy the station.

My wife is going nuts for West World !! (Hopefully Rob will weigh in) she is one of those blog freaks.

I highly recommend the comedy High Maintenance!! :thumb: 

" Critics Consensus: Dreamlike, poignant, and often funny, High Maintenance successfully transitions from the web to the small screen thanks to sharp writing and an excellent cast."

I'm also watching Divorse ,with Sarah Jessica Parker. It's pretty good .

I really like the comedy series called , Insecure . It's brilliant!!
So please, what movies, series, comedies etc do you love on HBO?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: HBO/ Movies, Shows , and Comedy
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2016, 11:58 pm »
Wait till Game of Thrones starts the new season.  Lots to catch up on but it's something you can easily binge watch.  Just one of the best fantasy shows ever.

West World may be as good, it's still new we'll see where it goes.  So far it's pretty darn good.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2016, 07:26 am »
I'm also addicted to Westworld! :thumb:  Awesome show.  The cast is fantastic; many many big stars.  What can you say about Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris?  They're legends!  This one has bumped GoT down my list a bit. 8)

Burson

• Restricted
  • Burson Audio Staff
    • Official website
« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2016, 06:38 pm »
Games of thrones is always on my list  to watch
it is so much of an addiction
waiting for the next to come

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2017, 02:17 am »
I got a free month of HBO Now and blew through GoT season 6 in 2 days, then West World during the 2 days after that.  Working through Season 2 of True Detective now.  I'll probably cancel at the end of the month and wait for another promotion to come around next year.

jk@home

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2017, 02:34 am »
We hung in through all of West World's first season. Enjoyed it, but it is no GOT. And honestly that intro music piece has got to go, it really sets the mood to be bored.

Also, HBO has always seemed to me to have more liberal themed programming (NOT why we subscribe), but here is a show that repeatably glorifies mass gun shootings. Odd.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2017, 04:07 am »
I actually liked it more than GoT.  The music isn't great, though. Westworld maybe didn't end on the kind of high note fitting with the incredible beginning but I'm eager to see where they take it next.  Great cast, even though some of them won't be back...

stlrman

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2017, 11:35 am »
My wife and I really enjoyed Olive Kitteridge!
8.4 on imdb
4 part series

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3012698/

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2017, 05:05 pm »
We hung in through all of West World's first season. Enjoyed it, but it is no GOT. And honestly that intro music piece has got to go, it really sets the mood to be bored.

Also, HBO has always seemed to me to have more liberal themed programming (NOT why we subscribe), but here is a show that repeatably glorifies mass gun shootings. Odd.

Funny, I had the opposite reaction - I thought that the mass shootings were presented in a way that made them seem pretty darn awful.  I actually liked West World a lot.  Not as much as GoT, but still a great first season. 

The thing that kept coming to mind was Blade Runner and how much memory and identity are tied together.  Constant wipes of the hosts prevent them from remembering the horror of getting shot in the face or raped and killed every day, but it also prevents them from advancing.  Are they alive?  Could they be alive if they were allowed to form and retain memories?  At what point do they transcend their programming, if ever?  And if they do, is that then wrong to kill and brutalize them for amusement? 

To me these were amazingly well handled because they were embedded into the action rather than just "talked about".  The integration of theme, plot and character is really first rate in West Word. 

stlrman

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2018, 04:51 pm »
just binged two seasons of Crashing . Loved every episode!!!

"The semi-autobiographical show follows Pete (Pete Holmes) as he tries to become a stand-up comedian after his wife cheats on him and he's left with nothing else. When Pete hits rock bottom, he decides to follow his dreams of becoming a comedian, and tries his best at stand-up shows; however, he's not as talented as he would like to think, and it's only with the help of other famous comedians that he's able to learn the ropes. Among others, Artie Lange and T.J. Miller, playing fictional versions of themselves, teach him how to be spontaneous, irreverent and careless, helping Pete shed his old self and take on a new persona."

stlrman

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2020, 12:17 am »
The wife and I are enjoying The Outsider by Stephen King . The great Ben Mendelsohn stars .

8.7 IMDB !!

MttBsh

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2020, 01:00 am »
The wife and I are enjoying The Outsider by Stephen King . The great Ben Mendelsohn stars .

8.7 IMDB !!

My wife and I thought the first two episodes were riveting - excellent storyline and acting - but by about the 4th it seemed to lose its focus and momentum and my interest along with it. Maybe I need to give it another chance.

stlrman

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2020, 02:47 pm »

Highly entertaining!!! HBO documentaries are usually very well done !
6 part series
86% RT