Netflix: What to watch?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #40 on: 4 May 2013, 04:37 am »
Hulu Plus is the best service for catching up on current TV shows. 

WireNut

« Reply #41 on: 4 May 2013, 04:44 am »
Hulu Plus is the best service for catching up on current TV shows.

Thanks Tyson,

I'm not familiar with Hulu Plus. That has nothing to do with  Vudu, Right  :?:
Tell me more. Should my sister buy a PS3 or DVD player that's Hulu plus compatible ?:
Does Hulu Plus stream current TV show's and current movies  :?:
« Last Edit: 4 May 2013, 06:22 am by WireNut »

TrungT

« Reply #42 on: 29 Jul 2013, 05:10 am »
The Warrior's Way

JCarney

« Reply #43 on: 29 Jul 2013, 12:51 pm »
I just finished watching "Outrageous Fortune". A show made in New Zealand, about a crime family of sorts. Very well written and acted imo.

JCarney

persisting1

« Reply #44 on: 12 Aug 2013, 04:38 am »
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover is a pretty good film.

ajzepp

« Reply #45 on: 12 Aug 2013, 06:47 am »
Arbitrage...solid cast, solid acting, solid plot.

Bemopti123

« Reply #46 on: 12 Aug 2013, 01:22 pm »
Although most Netflix miniseries offerings seem like stuffing, I found Continuum to be an excellent series.  Extremely well written and very contemporary in the themes it presents. 

WC

« Reply #47 on: 12 Aug 2013, 02:01 pm »
Orange is the New Black is a new Netflix Original series that is worth watching.

wushuliu

« Reply #48 on: 12 Aug 2013, 04:36 pm »
Orange is the New Black is a new Netflix Original series that is worth watching.

My gf liked it a lot.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #49 on: 26 Aug 2013, 07:26 pm »
Hatfields & McCoys is excellent. Costner and Paxton both bring their A game. Paxton especially is heartbreaking. Not often you get to see him play someone broken and humorless. Tom Berenger is awesome as always, that guy is such a great actor. And what's a quality 'western' without Powers Boothe?

And yes it's pointless to criticize Netflix for not having newer films and tv when the studios specifically put their newer content w/ streamers that charge a premium per title. It's like complaining premium cable isn't as good as Pay per view/On Demand. Totally different structures. And now that Disney has thrown in their hat w/ Netflix, that means not only Disney films but Pixar and Marvel. Netflix is changing the landscape.

Yes I am a Netflix fanboy, since 2002. I remember when everyone said they wouldn't last back then as well...

Just finished the first two of three of H&M trilogy.  Pretty decent - KC is not even so wooden as usual.  So far it seems to be weighted a bit more towards the H's vs the M's......but I don't have a dog in that feud.  Whoever plays the Jim Vance character is great - the best "bad guy" in the series so far.......

kenreau

« Reply #50 on: 26 Aug 2013, 08:01 pm »
Two thumbs up for Hatfields & McCoys  :thumb:  :thumb: 

Just started watching it last night and could not turn it off until I made it through the first of the trilogies. 

Kenreau

soundbitten1

« Reply #51 on: 3 Jan 2014, 06:06 pm »
Just finished the 7 episode Top Of The Lake which was excellent with great acting. It is a drama set in New Zealand with awe inspiring scenery. My only complaint was the finale seemed rushed (they had to tie up a few loose ends) and some of the dialog from certain characters was hard to understand. All in all though it was very worthwhile viewing.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #52 on: 3 Jan 2014, 07:29 pm »
My wife is the Netflix queen of the house. She does such a great job with choosing the movies, that I don't interfere or play a part in the process of setting up the que.

That being said....
Recently, she and I watched a couple movies with very similar plot lines. The basis of the movies were odd enough that given a choice of watching them after I was told the plot, I'd have said they were stupid, boring and wouldn't have given them a chance.
Lucky for me, I rarely even read the description of the movie that comes in the mail, that I just stick it in the DVD player.
Good thing, because these two movies are pretty cool and I give them a strong recommendation.

"Brake" and "Buried".

I'll let you look up the description and see why I wouldn't have given them a chance.
But if you trust me, don't even read the description and just give them a shot. 

Thank me later.  :wink:
Bob

ss397

« Reply #53 on: 6 Jan 2014, 02:08 pm »
We recently watched and enjoyed Lillyhammer. It is an original series and very well done. Some network TV shows we discovered and enjoyed on Netflix are Revolution and Once Upon a Time.

acresm22

« Reply #54 on: 6 Jan 2014, 04:55 pm »
Whoever plays the Jim Vance character is great - the best "bad guy" in the series so far.......

Hard as it is to believe, Tom Berenger plays Jim Vance...the same Tom Berenger who starred in "Platoon" and "Someone to Watch Over Me" in the 1980s.

DavidS

« Reply #55 on: 6 Jan 2014, 05:33 pm »
in Canada we have less selection than other places - although the selection is growing.  Two I don't see listed that I enjoyed on netflix in the past year are:

Justified (a southern US police series with great characters)
Jericho - a post atomic attack series set in US midwest (I think) with interesting story, some weak plot lines but had me hooked for 2 seasons worth.  Have read they will make more now after 6-7 years off.

mcgsxr

« Reply #56 on: 6 Jan 2014, 06:01 pm »
You can use an unblocking/IP masking service and view Netflix US or other feeds from Canada.  My brother does it.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #57 on: 6 Jan 2014, 08:57 pm »
Really like Foyle's War. Great history lessons incorporated into almost every episode and BBC attention to detail (for instance, the show starts early in WW2 and the Spitfires used in the show are all early war examples) plus great actors and plots.

Late Quartet is a really well done movie with lots of great music.

JoshK

« Reply #58 on: 6 Jan 2014, 09:03 pm »

Agreed!   I was very pleased with this find.  Very interesting. 

I am a big fan of the series rather than just a movie because it allows for more character and plot development if done well, like a good book.

Justified is pretty awesome
The Killing  -- This one spoke to me on so many levels.  Not perfect but pretty mind bending.

ajzepp

« Reply #59 on: 7 Jan 2014, 03:02 am »
We recently watched and enjoyed Lillyhammer. It is an original series and very well done. Some network TV shows we discovered and enjoyed on Netflix are Revolution and Once Upon a Time.

The only thing I don't love about Lilyhammer is that the seasons are too darn short. Other than that, what an interesting mix of elements!