BDP1 Connection Issue

canuck5

BDP1 Connection Issue
« on: 15 Nov 2021, 07:36 pm »
Having problems getting BDP1 to connect to my network.
The modem will assign the unit the IP address, I can also see it on the modem (when logged into it), then after about 2 minutes or so, the unit loses connection and IP address disappears from the BDP's face plate and from the modem itself.
Had no problems in the past with connection issues.  Just before all this started, I updated the firmware (2.44-2021-10-05).  I did unplug the BDP and reconnect, rebooted the modem.  Contacted my internet company (Cogeco), they did a reboot from there side and said everything was OK from their end and said it was probably an issue with the unit, I'm very skeptical of Cogeco's tech expert.

Thanks

Rocket

Re: BDP1 Connection Issue
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2021, 01:32 pm »
Hi,

I don't know if it will help but I had a connect problem with my modem and bryston using it as a Roon endpoint.  It turned out to be a faulty ethernet cable. Changed the ethernet cable and it works great now.

Cheers Rod

canuck5

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2021, 02:39 pm »
Thanks Rocket, I tried another ethernet cable, no change.
Talked to cable provider going to send me a new modem, hopefully that maybe the issue.

Wim J

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2021, 02:37 pm »
Having problems getting BDP1 to connect to my network.
The modem will assign the unit the IP address, I can also see it on the modem (when logged into it), then after about 2 minutes or so, the unit loses connection and IP address disappears from the BDP's face plate and from the modem itself.
Had no problems in the past with connection issues.  Just before all this started, I updated the firmware (2.44-2021-10-05).  I did unplug the BDP and reconnect, rebooted the modem.  Contacted my internet company (Cogeco), they did a reboot from there side and said everything was OK from their end and said it was probably an issue with the unit, I'm very skeptical of Cogeco's tech expert.

Thanks

I experience the same behaviour since I updated to V2.44  2021 10 05

Can bryston please look into this

canuck5

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2021, 03:55 pm »
 Was directed to "Have you tried reset the network interface (not be confused with restarting the network interface) using the menu on the front of the unit?"  I did that and was able to connect, however every time I power up the unit I have to reset the network in order to connect to my network.  I passed that information to Bryston but have not yet received a response, I was just asked what version of firmware I was using prior to updating but could not recall the exact version.

Wim J

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2021, 08:20 pm »
I have exactly the same behaviour. But even after resetting via frontpanel it is not always stable. I have difficulties reaching the web interface, I need multiple retries, and somtimes it disconnect just like that, ...

canuck5

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2021, 08:49 pm »
Had mine powered up for a few days (was working yesterday), BUT just now after I read your post, went to my unit showed and error code 5 and was not connected, would not restart, unplug the unit, powered up the unit, connected and then lost connection, reset the interface and unit connected to my network and appears to be working so far.  Ill keep it going for awhile and see what happens.  Ill keep you updated.  What I just typed, will copy and send to Bryston, will also copy what you just mentioned and send that too if you would like.  Funny that it's happening after updating to new firm ware, wonder if others experiencing this same issue.

b5pt9

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2021, 09:00 pm »
I've recently upgraded my BDP-1 to the current 2.44 firmware.  It seems stable so far using wired ethernet and my router assigning the IP address via DHCP table.  I'm not having any luck getting either of my 3rd party USB WIFI dongles working though.

There's a "Reset Global Settings" option under System menu you can try? 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2021, 09:21 pm »
I'm not sure about the wired network issues being discussed, the only thing that comes to mind is ifplugd, but that was implemented around the time of the release of BDA-3.14 (for the BDA-3.14).  If you can get into the web ui long enough to turn it off and reboot the BDP it might help, otherwise I'm not as networking has remained much over the years. 

As for 3rd party usb wifi dongles, some "drivers" exist in the firmware, but there won't be any support for anything newer then 802.11n WiFi.  Performing a factory reset or reset global settings (same thing, different name) will force the BDP to create a new hardware profile and look for USB wifi adaptors.

Hope this helps,
Chris

b5pt9

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2021, 11:01 pm »
I'm not sure about the wired network issues being discussed, the only thing that comes to mind is ifplugd, but that was implemented around the time of the release of BDA-3.14 (for the BDA-3.14).  If you can get into the web ui long enough to turn it off and reboot the BDP it might help, otherwise I'm not as networking has remained much over the years. 

As for 3rd party usb wifi dongles, some "drivers" exist in the firmware, but there won't be any support for anything newer then 802.11n WiFi.  Performing a factory reset or reset global settings (same thing, different name) will force the BDP to create a new hardware profile and look for USB wifi adaptors.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Thanks for the comment on the USB dongles.  I may be using incompatible devices, my mistake.

Wim J

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2021, 12:12 pm »

Hope this helps,
Chris

Chris,

Is there a way to go back to the previous version. V2.44 2021 10 05 essentially bricked my BDP1. It was running fine before the update

canuck5

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2021, 04:06 pm »

Chris:

So, I tried the Global Reset on the front of the unit (as someone on the forum suggested), it did connect however I had to reload my Shares from my NAS, update button didn't do anything.
However when I powered down the unit last night and start up the unit today, again I lost the connection and had to do the network reset.  I should not have to be doing this everytime I power up the unit, obvious there is a problem and appears to be after I installed the firmware, appears other people having similiar problems as seen on this forum.

As Wim J mentioned is there a way to go back to the previous mode??  Can we connect to "service mode"  so you can diagnose it, or ship the unit to Bryston correct this issue. As Wim J, unit is somewhat broke.

Are there any selections that have to be selected or deselected to ensure unit does not lose its connection, your manual is somewhat limited on information as to what to do or troubleshoot.

thanks
Glenn

Wim J

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2021, 09:17 pm »
Chris:

So, I tried the Global Reset on the front of the unit (as someone on the forum suggested), it did connect however I had to reload my Shares from my NAS, update button didn't do anything.
However when I powered down the unit last night and start up the unit today, again I lost the connection and had to do the network reset.  I should not have to be doing this everytime I power up the unit, obvious there is a problem and appears to be after I installed the firmware, appears other people having similiar problems as seen on this forum.

As Wim J mentioned is there a way to go back to the previous mode??  Can we connect to "service mode"  so you can diagnose it, or ship the unit to Bryston correct this issue. As Wim J, unit is somewhat broke.

Are there any selections that have to be selected or deselected to ensure unit does not lose its connection, your manual is somewhat limited on information as to what to do or troubleshoot.

thanks
Glenn

Canuck5,

After countless reboots,tries and resetting the network on the front panel I was finally able to uncheck the "ifplugd" field in the service tab of the web interface. On a number of occassions it didn't respond to my input, or lost connection again. But finally I arrived at unchecking the "ifplugd" option in the service tab on the webinterface.  You have to scroll to the bottom of the services field to find "ifplugd".
Since this option was unchecked or disabled all seems to work fine again. I  made several succesful reboots, and the BDP came online every time and needed no manual corrections. Of course the bdp stays very slow in it's startup sequence, but that has been the case since the beginning.

canuck5

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2021, 01:53 am »
Wim J

Thanks for your input, I did uncheck the "ifplugd"  didn't know it existed, thought it was a spelling error when Chris mentioned it, nor do I know what it does.  I did 4 shutdowns and restarts and no issues.  My unit boots up slow also.  Very grateful for your advice, wouldn't of known where to find it if it wasn't for you.  Good we have forums like these to find solutions to our audio problems

In the future, don't think I will do anymore firmware updates unless really have too, don't want to spend 4 weeks being frustrated and ticked off at the unit, wanting to get rid of it and so forth because of something simple and not aware of!

Thanks again

Wim J

« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2021, 10:21 am »

Hope this helps,
Chris

Indeed Chris,

The "ifplugd" setting is the cause of the problem. Unchecking the ifplugd option solves the issue on the short term.

Except,.... When the BDP1 is powered down for a longer period of time, it automatically checks the "ifplugd" option again.

Please investigate this problem thoroughly, it litterally takes an hour to get the thing running again.  All because of a software update,....  unacceptable. Give at least the option to revert to an older software release

canuck5

« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2021, 02:36 pm »

Indeed Chris,

The "ifplugd" setting is the cause of the problem. Unchecking the ifplugd option solves the issue on the short term.

Except,.... When the BDP1 is powered down for a longer period of time, it automatically checks the "ifplugd" option again.

Please investigate this problem thoroughly, it litterally takes an hour to get the thing running again.  All because of a software update,....  unacceptable. Give at least the option to revert to an older software release

I Agree with Win J, should have a resolution.

dpatters

« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2021, 02:51 pm »
This thread illustrates exactly why I dumped my music server and went back to CDs and vinyl.

Don P.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2021, 05:54 am »
Indeed Chris,

ifplugd existed in the previous update, its existed for several years in the firmware.  If placing the BDP into service mode using the menu on the front of the unit works then your issue is not a network issue.  Reimaging the CF card with an available online image is really the only option for reverting firmware.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf
http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Sources%20R3.pdf

Chris

Wim J

« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2021, 07:05 am »
ifplugd existed in the previous update, its existed for several years in the firmware.  If placing the BDP into service mode using the menu on the front of the unit works then your issue is not a network issue.  Reimaging the CF card with an available online image is really the only option for reverting firmware.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf
http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Sources%20R3.pdf

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for you reply.

Maybe ifplugd existe in previous firmware, but now it activate itself over night. And this makes the unit hang itself. Something changed in the last version of v2.44.  When it hangs it is impossible to find it on the netwerk. Restarting the netwerk interface most of the times solves this. But it also happens the unit is unresponsive to the front panel.
Why does the ifplugd setting change overnight? When I chose off it should stay off.
Not much use putting the device in service when the netwerk doesn't see it. It is not found, and also unresponsive to pings.
I'm not 100% sure which datecode my previous software v2 44 had. But it definitely was v2.44  and it did not activate ifplugd by itself. It worked just fine . Hopefully this issue is corrected soon in a new software release.