NX STUDIO BUILD

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

Re: NX STUDIO BUILD
« Reply #60 on: 7 Dec 2021, 10:15 pm »

The grill frame standoff height distance, (referring from top of butyl rubber surround, on speaker driver, to top of grill is 3/8" spacing difference). Which give plenty of room for excursion for the driver. So the Butyl rubber will not be slapping the grill cloth, with large excursion playback.

« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2023, 05:00 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #61 on: 7 Dec 2021, 10:23 pm »
What are you using for grill cloth?

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #62 on: 7 Dec 2021, 10:33 pm »

This little jig really helped when attaching grill cloth to frame. Here is the sequence I followed below.

1) Stretched the cloth, then set it with "TEE PINS". The pins really allow for fine adjustment of cloth, especially cloth types like mine, that have a pattern. I can't put enough emphasis on having proper tension, while working with grill cloth. This really makes the task have a professional finish following these steps. (The Tee Pins have a advantage over just stapling, it simply allows for easier fine alignment adjustments, versus having to continually pluck off staples, re-adjust grill cloth, then restaple again, which is not convienent.

Here is the link for TEE PINS: https://www.amazon.com/Outus-Pieces-T-Pins-Nickel-Plated/dp/B01M4O1TKD/ref=sr_1_8?hvadid=616931636794&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9007762&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13147039697295769858&hvtargid=kwd-30638570872&hydadcr=26613_11715044&keywords=tee+pins&qid=1683243576&sr=8-8

2) When I was satified with pinning to the jig, looking at the cloth to see everything aligned properly, then I stapled the cloth to the jig board around entire inside perimeter. The reason I did this extra step, was to prevent any chances of the TEE PINS backing out when I'm at the final step, inserting / tucking the rubber chord spline.

3) Next step was tucking in the grill cloth into the CNC grove cutout on grill frame, using the hollow rubber chord spline. Continue around the entire perimeter of grill frame, till you meet up, where you initially started out.  Then trim the excess chord spline.

4) Proceed to trim off the extra grill cloth away from jig. Remove jig and proceed to trim off the rest of the cloth around entire grill frame, to your satisfaction.

Photo below was a trial run, prior to me rubber coating the frame. Eventually I sprayed the grill frame with a rubberized anti-resonant black coating.
REAL IMPORTANT, NOT TO SPRAY ANYTHING INTO THE CNC GROOVES OF YOUR GRILL FRAME! That will change tolerances, therefore grill cloth and chord spline will no longer fit. :nono:

Nlitworld here is the cloth used on my build.
Grill Cloth used is more impressive in person than what photo's display.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TMNW94X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: 9 May 2023, 03:08 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

nlitworld

« Reply #63 on: 7 Dec 2021, 11:17 pm »
Thanks for the tip! Order already placed. The stuff I had previously ordered appears to be more like plastic catch netting than speaker grill cloth. This will be much nicer to work with.  :thumb:

Also, your build seems to be coming along very nicely indeed!

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #64 on: 7 Dec 2021, 11:48 pm »
Partially veneered, still have the top to complete.

« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2023, 11:26 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #65 on: 14 Dec 2021, 05:46 pm »
I believe this may be the first set speaker grills made for NX-STUDIO'S, at the time of my build.

« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2023, 05:06 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #66 on: 17 Dec 2021, 05:58 pm »
Photo example below, is the speaker grill I fabricated. Your looking at the backside of GR RESEARCH tag logo attached to the grill cloth. Since the logo is copper, I had to epoxy the magnet to the backside of copper plate, since copper is not magnetic. Now, I have two magnets on both sides of grill cloth, securing the copper logo tag to the finished speaker grill. I chose this method, to make it removable, in case I should ever need to replace the grill cloth from damage, or simply want to change grill cloth color. This method of attaching the GR RESEARCH logo's makes it easy for removal.

« Last Edit: 4 May 2023, 09:58 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #67 on: 17 Dec 2021, 06:11 pm »
Merry Christmas, I hope next year is much better for you and your family.  The speakers look beautiful.  Are they fully up and running now?  If so, how do you like the sound?

nlitworld

« Reply #68 on: 18 Dec 2021, 01:23 am »
In stressful and trying times, finding the little things to appreciate and that bring happiness is what life is all about. Your speakers are looking absolutely fantastic! Definitely that step above with attention to detail. Very nicely done.  :thumb:  But like Tyson asked, are they up and moving yet?!? The world needs to know!

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #69 on: 18 Dec 2021, 03:00 am »
Hondurous Rosewood veneer applied to cabinet. 

Finished front grill attached below

Rubber anti-resonant coating applied to CNC top grill frame above.

Unfinished cabinet, with alternative top grill I fabricated. However, I liked the appearance of the stock top grill frame better.

« Last Edit: 11 May 2023, 05:15 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

nlitworld

« Reply #70 on: 18 Dec 2021, 05:24 am »
For tape, this is my favorite one. Just don't buy from scamazon, go to a local automotive paint store. It'll save you a couple bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-26334-Performance-Masking-Tape/dp/B00HSCNOUG

AlexH

« Reply #71 on: 18 Dec 2021, 09:27 pm »
I love General Finishes products, especially their stains.

Redheart

« Reply #72 on: 18 Dec 2021, 10:30 pm »
Merry Christmas, and let those magnificent speakers of yours sooth you with delicious melodies!
That is great woodworking and ingenious details all around! Take care!
Here are my modest speakers stands I made using wooden slanted tables legs from AliExpress.
I like the idea of wooden tripods, but reality is I would have loved to get the Tensegrity from Q acoustic.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #73 on: 18 Dec 2021, 11:30 pm »
BXI Panel design I created, to use on the top ramp of the NX Studio's speaker cabinets.

« Last Edit: 11 May 2023, 05:19 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #74 on: 18 Dec 2021, 11:39 pm »

Example of the layout, for of all the BXI panels, that are being applied to the top ramp of the speaker cabinet.

Initially I installed the BXI panels by compression fit, for evaluation. After listening, A/B comparing to the NoRez, I determined I liked the sound better with the BXI panels installed. Eventually, I applied a cool adheasive, to attach the various size BXI panels in their permanant locations.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2023, 05:31 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #75 on: 18 Dec 2021, 11:42 pm »
For those who don't have a compressor and spray gun this a alternative. I used it on my project, thanks to nlitword for the suggestion.

« Last Edit: 11 May 2023, 05:32 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Redheart

« Reply #76 on: 19 Dec 2021, 02:34 am »

:xmas:  Merry Christmas Redheart!
Thanks for the kind words by the way. Your stands are a slick idea too!  Only thing missing, is the decorative Christmas lights and the Angel on top of your Studio's buddy. :icon_lol:  So what system are you running with your studio's?

I am very interested in everybody's associated equipment, their running with the NX STUDIO MONITORS. The feedback over time, will be invaluable, for the members and owners of this nice speaker kit, Danny's selling. So I am welcoming anyone with NX STUDIO  MONITORS, to share your success stories with your gear your using alongside with them. This will really help newcomers hopefully, get a better handle on what works optimally with the monitors.  :xmas:

Hehe thanks for the reminder, i filled my real Christmas tree so no deco left for the NX!😆

I use Topping PA5 amp, it's terrific! So fast and so clean, it's a marvel. Power matching is appropriate for the NX studios too. I listen really loud.
For the DAC i use Topping E50, it's connected via balanced connectors to the amp. It has a remote control for volume control so I don't need a preamp. Paired with PA5 it's ultimately transparency and details galore. I really love it. Doesn't hurt that the cost is a bargain 😃

Prior to that I also used with success the Aiyima A07 power amp, but it need a preamp in front of it . Without it, the frequency response linearity was a bit compromise being too warm, not enough bite up top.
So i tested various preamps i have laying around and landed on Meridian 861 preamp. This preamp/dac is pretty old by now, but it has an authoritive sound, with pace and grandeur. But it lacks a little bit of final detail/sizzle when compared with modern DAC. Also it's so big in size, it's not convenient...
It's a shame though, i love the remote control that can also control the raspberry pi streamer. I use Roon, maybe you do too?😊

nadirmg

« Reply #77 on: 23 Dec 2021, 01:00 am »

I'll be adding additional layer of resonance deadening material, between crossover board and bottom of cabinet

I really like the fastners idea! What kind of fastners are the and where did you get them?

I just got my flatpack last week and the crossover parts all arrived today, so I'm beginning the (daunting) process of figuring out how I'm going to do all this by reading through everyone's NX Studio build and learning as much as I can before I touch the glue or soldering iron.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #78 on: 23 Dec 2021, 03:34 am »

For visual purposes, so you could see the lines of the panels and how they align up, I lightened up the photo substancially. The BXI panels are dark black in reality.

« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2023, 08:43 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

nlitworld

« Reply #79 on: 23 Dec 2021, 04:55 am »
I also used the idea of the speaker grill mounts. I didn't have my no rez yet so I made a template that I can use the same hole locations for the crossover board. The no-rez may throw a curve into it, but it should be pretty easy to work around. If you plan everything out before gluing up everything, it should be super straight forward. Definitely the way to go. Also check out Peter's posts on suggestion of the nutsert for screwing in the speakers. Definitely the way to go on those for super clean assembly.