Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!

TrungT

Re: Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!
« Reply #120 on: 24 May 2013, 03:43 am »
Thanks Bob.  :wink:
The new smoker, it's awesome, it can hold 220 all day and it can crank up 350 when I needed.
I only used 3 medium hickory logs today.  :thumb:

MaxCast

« Reply #121 on: 24 May 2013, 12:12 pm »
Hey guys, is there an ideal temp for smoking ribs?  I am interested to know the temps for the 3-2-1 method.
Also, would you use the same temp for fish or a turkey breast?
Thanks.

TrungT

« Reply #122 on: 24 May 2013, 01:30 pm »
3-2-1 method is best for ribs.
220 -225 is the ideal temp, I added chicken broth to the foil process (about 3-4 table spoons) to help the steam process and add nice flavor to the ribs.
Smoke Turkey breast, the breast must be brine overnight before smoke, temp around 225, 3-4 hrs depend on the size of the breast. (until internal temp 175)
Brine solution:
1 Tbsp. Pepper
1 Tbsp. Onion powder
1 Tbsp. Salt Oregano
2 twigs fresh of Rosemary
3 Bay leafs

I have not try smoke fish yet.
Hope that help.  :wink:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #123 on: 24 May 2013, 01:47 pm »
Hey Rich,
Asking the ideal temp for smoking ribs is like asking an audiophile what the ideal  type of source unit is.  :lol:
To pin it down a bit more though, 225 is what I generally run at. Maybe a wee bit hotter. Then there are guys that take it up to 275 but at that point I start wondering how they're getting away with that without going too far. There are also folks that do ribs at 300, but they aren't doing 3-2-1, they're cutting that darn near in half.

I have come to learn that the temp is darn near irrelevant (within reason). I've not heard of anybody smoking anything below 225 (unless you're cold smoking cheese), and very rarely does anybody go over 300. Everything I've smoked has bee between 225 and 250. THe items I'm smoked are:
- Pork Butt (now called Boston butts)
- Whole turkey
- Chicken breasts
- Ribs
- Chuck roast
- "Fatties" (no, not those kind), ABT's, and various other snacks
- Brisket
- Salmon

So even thought I've never done a turkey breast, I'd have no problem running them between 225 and 250. There's no reason to go lower, you're just stretching the cooking times out to the point of being painful.  You can go hotter, but over 300 and you're getting close to grilling and that's a whole 'nutha thang.

Bob

BobM

« Reply #124 on: 24 May 2013, 02:58 pm »
I have not try smoke fish yet.

My experience with Salmon is to lay it on a piece of foil skin side down (roll up the edges of the foil to keep the juices within). I salt it on both sides with Kosher salt about an hour before smoking, then smoking at 225 or so for about an hour and a half. I find that any kind of rub just overwhelmes the fish and the smoke. I've also found that there is a big difference between store bought (farm raised) salmon and getting a whole fresh caught Atlantic salmon right off the boat - no surprise there though.

MaxCast

« Reply #125 on: 24 May 2013, 03:40 pm »
Thanks guys  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #126 on: 24 May 2013, 03:40 pm »

ptmconsulting

« Reply #127 on: 25 May 2013, 09:59 pm »
Smoked all day today - a pork loin and a whole chicken. Also made a mango-cucumber salad to eat with  the pork tonight. Making an egg-potato salad to go with the chicken for tomorrow. Oh, and the obligatory IPA.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #128 on: 25 May 2013, 11:02 pm »
Yea....  8) You did it right.  :thumb:
That looks awesome!

BobM

« Reply #129 on: 28 May 2013, 02:07 pm »
The pork was awesome, the chicken less so. It tasted rubbery in the smoke ring. I've never been able to get chicken to come out right in the smoker. Anyone have a tried and true method that I can apply?

Generally I apply rub, let it sit overnight, then smoke for about 5-6 hours at 250, mopping it every hour.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #130 on: 28 May 2013, 02:23 pm »
I've only done chicken a couple times. I've always done skin off, bone in breasts. The breast were massive, like a small turkey. I can't recall how long I cooked it, but 5-6 hours at any temp sounds too long.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #131 on: 28 May 2013, 03:42 pm »
I've only done chicken a couple times. I've always done skin off, bone in breasts. The breast were massive, like a small turkey. I can't recall how long I cooked it, but 5-6 hours at any temp sounds too long.

I agree that 5 to 6 hours for chicken is too long at any temperature. I bbq/smoke a lot of chicken (whole chickens split in half) on a cast iron Cook n Kettle and cook it for about 3 hours at 250-275, turning it every 30 minutes. The sauce goes on the last 30 minutes and it comes out moist, tender and tastes great. Here's a pic of the Cook n Kettle.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #132 on: 28 May 2013, 03:52 pm »
That's a handy looking contraption, I've never heard of it. neat!

But when the internal temp of the chicken reaches 165, I'll take it off the heat, regardless of any other factors.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #133 on: 28 May 2013, 04:26 pm »
It's what my father used. He gave one to me, my brother and sister when we got married, partly to make sure we had a good bbq grill for him to use when he visited. He loved to bbq and would time his chickens by the number of scotches or Crown Royales he drank. Here's the website for the Cook n Kettle, http://www.cooknkettle.com/

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #134 on: 28 May 2013, 05:17 pm »
I am new to smoking.  Recently purchased a "Smokin-It" electric smoker.  All stainless steel construction for a little over $350.  It does a really good job.  Just bought a Maverick et-732 dual probe wireless thermometer.

I have tried Hickory, mesquite and apple for wood and really like the apple for turkey/chicken.  So far, I have smoked ribs, turkey, chicken, salmon and shrimp.  I use my brother's dry rub recipe and so far have been using a BBQ sauce recipe found online called bubba-Q sauce.

The pork was awesome, the chicken less so. It tasted rubbery in the smoke ring. I've never been able to get chicken to come out right in the smoker. Anyone have a tried and true method that I can apply?

I have only smoked individual pieces such as Turkey/chicken thighs, legs and breasts (both boneless and with the bone).  I smoke them for 2 hours at 225 degrees and then finish them off on the grill for about 5-10 minutes which is where I apply my BBQ sauce.

Really, only the turkey legs are not quite done from the two hours in the smoker.  Everything else turns out really great.

Regards,

Randy

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #135 on: 28 May 2013, 05:20 pm »
Here's the website for the Cook n Kettle, http://www.cooknkettle.com/
That's a stout looking unit right there. Very cool.

bearman2

« Reply #136 on: 28 May 2013, 05:48 pm »
I am new to smoking.  Recently purchased a "Smokin-It" electric smoker.  All stainless steel construction for a little over $350.  It does a really good job.  Just bought a Maverick et-732 dual probe wireless thermometer.

I have tried Hickory, mesquite and apple for wood and really like the apple for turkey/chicken.  So far, I have smoked ribs, turkey, chicken, salmon and shrimp.  I use my brother's dry rub recipe and so far have been using a BBQ sauce recipe found online called bubba-Q sauce.

Randy

I have a Smokin It II and have found apple to be my choice. Whatever you use you don't need much wood.  Just did Salmon yesterday with apple and it was a big hit like always.    John

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #137 on: 28 May 2013, 06:10 pm »
you have to watch putting rubs on chicken and ribs for real long periods of time as the rub will start to cure the meat.  i season my meat right before i build my fire and let my smoker come to temp.  i use to season my ribs the night before but got hammy ribs where the ribs have the texture of ham when cooked.

BobM

« Reply #138 on: 29 May 2013, 01:34 pm »
Thanks guys. My wife put the leftover chicken in the oven last night for about 30 minutes to reheat it and it tasted much better. I think part of the problem was that the outer ring may have cured, as suggested, but the inner portion was soft and moist and juicy, so the disparity was texturally strange. Additional cooking time brought them closer together in texture.

She makes amazingly great chicken in the oven, several different ways. I think I will just let her handle the fowl and smoke the beef and pork outside.

WireNut

« Reply #139 on: 8 Jun 2013, 09:12 pm »

OMG both of these look so good  :drool: :drool: :drool: I gotz to build me a true smoker  :notworthy:

:thumb: