Help please: JRiver MC17 NAS library set up issue

strider

Help please: JRiver MC17 NAS library set up issue
« on: 26 Aug 2012, 07:05 pm »
I've got the NAS up and connected to our network. I've created a share on the NAS for music and have successfully ripped a CD to it using dBpoweramp. I can see the file containing the CD on the computer that JRiver is on by accessing it via it's IP address, but can't figure out how to set JRiver to access the library on the NAS.

Set up is: dBpoweramp on my laptop (runs Windows 7) using it to rip CD to NAS in FLAC format
NAS is a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 connected to router via ethernet cable
 Media computer is attached to network via ethernet, also running Windows 7
 Media program is JRiver MC 17

Searching the 'net, I think that I may need to map the NAS as a network drive on the media computer in order for JRiver to see it. Tried to do that by going to Start -> Computer -> Map a drive but keep getting different error messages.

Am I looking in the right direction?

TIA,
 Ben

srb

Re: Help please: JRiver MC17 NAS library set up issue
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2012, 07:51 pm »
I'm not sure what error messages you're getting when trying to map a network drive, but you can either add a mapped drive letter or your can add the UNC share name (ex: \\Netgear_ReadyNAS\sharename) without having to map a drive letter to the share.

To add a UNC network share to J.River:

1.  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import Folders > Add Folder...

2.  In the Auto-Import Folder dialog, scroll down below your Computer and its drives to Network and click the arrow to the left.  You may have a spinning 'hourglass' for a bit while it attempts to discover network devices and shares.  It should eventually resolve and you should see the Netgear ReadyNAS device and should be able to click the arrow next to it to expand it and show the shared folders.

3.  Select the shared folder and click OK in the Auto-Import Folder dialog and you should now see the path listed under the Auto-Import Folders heading.  Click OK in the Options dialog to finalize it.

4.  If you go to the left side browser sidebar, you should see the NAS device and shared folder under Audio > Files.

Steve

strider

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2012, 09:56 pm »
When I tried to "map network drive" I'd go to Computer->Map Network Drive, select Z as the drive name, hit "Browse" and I wouldn't see the NAS as an option to open and look at the shares. Just tried it again and now I saw the Shares, opened, clicked the "media" folder and was able to map the drive. I  was just trying to post the error message I was getting, don't know why it didn't work before or why it does now, but I think I'll leave it at that for now.

Thanks for the response!

Edit: We're going to chalk it up to dumb luck that I've got it running, the more I poke around the less sense everything makes. I was able to map the drive as I described above on my laptop. Went downstairs and tried on the media computer (where JRiver resides) and still didn't have the NAS as an option when I browsed after I selected the drive letter during the Map Network Drive process. Only reason I can access the files on the NAS on the media computer is I downloaded Netgear's ReadyNAS Remote program, which must have been created for network illiterate people like myself.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2012, 10:23 pm »
By mapping a logical drive (drive letter) you are adding a layer of obfuscation, asking windows to get more involved than necessary. While it should not matter, it is not wise to tempt Windows to fail.

If you can use the UNC "\\NAS\music\" instead of the logical drive M:\music you might speed the transfer slightly and take one job away from Windows that it doesn't need.

JRiver is pretty well developed, so it should not have a problem with network address, but if UNC doesn't work, stick with the mapped drive letter.

I have an older ReadyNAS NV, and I like it. I have replaced power supplies a couple times, but I'm sure the newer versions have that sorted out.

strider

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2012, 12:10 pm »
By mapping a logical drive (drive letter) you are adding a layer of obfuscation, asking windows to get more involved than necessary. While it should not matter, it is not wise to tempt Windows to fail.

If you can use the UNC "\\NAS\music\" instead of the logical drive M:\music you might speed the transfer slightly and take one job away from Windows that it doesn't need.

JRiver is pretty well developed, so it should not have a problem with network address, but if UNC doesn't work, stick with the mapped drive letter.

I have an older ReadyNAS NV, and I like it. I have replaced power supplies a couple times, but I'm sure the newer versions have that sorted out.

I'm going to try that when I get home, thanks. Didn't remember the term "UNC" yesterday when the migration was happening.