Wicker basket bass trap

lokie

Wicker basket bass trap
« on: 19 Jul 2019, 06:50 pm »
What do you think of putting some "bass absorbing " product (Owens-Corning 703 fiberglass, Roxul, etc..) in a wicker basket? Not one unlike the picture.

I know experimentation with placement and volume (like using more than one basket or a combination of different sizes etc.) and measuring would be in order.
What I'm really asking about is whether the bass waves would penetrate the basket as should. 

Thanks- Doug

mcgsxr

Re: Wicker basket bass trap
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2019, 06:59 pm »
I'd say yes, the bass will not in any material way be slowed down by the wicker.

In fact it travels through ceilings and walls pretty well too!

Cool idea, and attractive vs some other designs/concepts I've seen.

gab

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2019, 07:03 pm »
not much protection from the Owens-Corning 703 fiberglass fibers. Maybe need some dirty clothes around the fiberglass  :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2019, 10:03 am »
Good idea!

Should work well but basket(s) will have to be large to serve as bass traps.  Look into DIY or GIK 'range limiter' membrane methods for treating just bass if that's what you're after.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2019, 10:17 am by JLM »

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2019, 10:37 am »
The basket itself, not much help... Put something in the basket- out of season clothing, blankets etc. and you have a good corner trap without shelling out big bucks. Now to figure out how to attach one to the ceiling upside down....

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2019, 01:07 pm »
Your concept will work. Adjust the density of the stuffing to control how well it absorbs the lowest frequencies.
Bass will penetrate any material easily, except thick concrete walls.

I use similar idea with large ultratouch cotton batts rolled up and stuffed into black garbage bags, makes a stackable 2' x 2' cylindrical absorber. Very ugly, but very effective.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2019, 02:09 pm »
Doug O,

Your concept will work fine. I would use Roxul or OC703/705, cut up in layers and then wrap the entire thing in a colored acoustically transparent fabric (perhaps black), then cut a circular piece of decorative wood to place on top of it so that the wicker basket turns into a stand. Be forewarned that some advertised "acoustically transparent fabrics" are actually NOT. Guilford of Maine FR701 is not bad. Acousticmac also sells acoustically transparent fabrics that also measure well. Don't assume that any old fabric will do (if you are trying to treat frequencies >300 Hz), however for midbass, and bass, you don't have to be so concerned (<300 Hz). Also consult with Nyal Mellor of Acoustic Frontiers on this subject as he has tested many of the touted 'acoustically transparent' fabrics. The devil as usual is in the details.

Do understand that just doing 1 wicker basket this way will make little difference to your room's response. What you want is a lot of wicker baskets thrown around the room and cumulatively, it will start to make a difference.

At some point you will have to ask yourself if the expense is worth it versus the usual DIY panels or GIK's stuff. I gave up on the DIY method of bass trapping (except for my ceiling where the peripheries serves as a humongous bass trap) once I calculated my own costs for building up these panels.

Good luck!

Best,
Anand.

https://www.guilfordofmaine.com/swatches/2100-394.pdf

The DMD stuff is also good: https://www.acoustimac.com/dmd-acoustic-fabric/

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2019, 02:09 pm »
cool idea Doug, give it a shot and keep us posted !