Where to purchase these plugs?

turbogti

Where to purchase these plugs?
« on: 4 Nov 2012, 05:11 pm »
Hi,

I want to experiment with different type wires to see who much differences they would make to the nCore, but I don't want to solder them directly to the modules. So where can i buy the following plugs? what are they called??

Cheers!

cab

Re: Where to purchase these plugs?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2012, 05:17 pm »
They are molex-type connectors available from Mouser, Digi-key and the other usual suspects. You will need to buy the plastic outer piece and the inner crimp pins. The problem comes in when you need to crimp the pins. Normally, each make and model pin has its own specialized crimping tool. These can be $$$ of dollars. Or, if you are good, you can solder the pins on. Be sure to order lots of extras so you can practice. The part numbers are on the ncore data sheets.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2012, 05:30 pm »
Easy. Go the the hypex data sheets and the part numbers are all listed.  Very inexpensive at Newark, mouser or digi key.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2012, 05:35 pm »
Cab is right. It is the crimping tools that are expensive. Industry standard is pretty high due to expectations of using these tools heavily, so you won't find "harbor freight" quality offerings with these tools.

turbogti

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2012, 05:57 pm »
Thanks! you guys definitely have much more experience than i do.

their part numbers are:
43025-0400
43025-1200

and here are the pins info:
http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0430300002_CRIMP_TERMINALS.xml
http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0430300003_CRIMP_TERMINALS.xml
The only differences are "Plating min - Mating" - what does that even mean?
I'm gonna use Neotech Rectangular OCC 20AWG silver for this experiment.

Tool no.
63819-0000
63812-0800
11-03-0043

Indeed the tools are quite expensive. Maybe I need to share it with some friends.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2012, 06:10 pm »
I think my approach would be to remove the pin header from the SMPS600 and solder the new AC wiring directly into the board.  If anything is going to make this connection better, a direct solder mount will, avoiding the noise caused by the pin header and plug.  Looks like the holes in the board might accommodate 18 AWG wire.
Of course, this approach might get tricky for the header for the DC supplies to the nCore module, probably better to leave the plug in place for that.

turbogti

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2012, 04:49 am »
Actually I have thought of direct soldering, but that plug is kinda hard to mess with, and it accepts 20AWG max.

I am also planning to experiment the ncore with a linear power supply, so flexibility is def. my main concern here.

yetis

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2012, 01:15 am »
I did my own power and amp connections, with limited success. Connection issues will be your enemy. The power has been no problem, but the interconnect is a PITA! If you buy a tool, that will make all the difference!

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2012, 03:09 am »
Actually I have thought of direct soldering, but that plug is kinda hard to mess with, and it accepts 20AWG max.

I am also planning to experiment the ncore with a linear power supply, so flexibility is def. my main concern here.

With my direct soldering post, I was referring to the connector in the top picture: for AC input to the SMPS600, not the DC connector for the nCore module itself-too many pins to make direct soldering to the board worthwhile there.  Additionally, the nCore module board looks like it might be multi-layer, which is easy to damage if one is not really careful.  On the other hand, the SMPS600 board looks like it would take direct soldering for input AC wiring quite easily, and removing a two pin connector is also really easy with a little solder wick.
If you are going to make up your own cables for the DC input to the nCore, you are going to need to invest in the correct crimp tool, otherwise you are in for a world of hurt.  Do not expect to get much wire gauge into those guys either-stay with the spec for the crimp connections. 
Please report on your results with linear supplies, are you going to do something nice for the low voltage supply, like shunts, or????

turbogti

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2012, 04:25 am »
oh, that part is easy then. Maybe I should just do a direct soldering too.

The tools have arrived. I went with the ones from molex, because the crimps are a bit fragile, and looks like i can easily mess up the installation. Yes. I'm gonna make my own DC input cable to ncore. According to the Spec, 20AWG is the max you can go. I'm interested if Silver will actually sound better than copper on the nCore. It made quite a bit of differences between the nCore and binding.

we are going to do the following experiments:
0. Replace all of the internal wiring to silver
1. adding filters between SMPS and Ncore
2. replace SMPS with a proper linear power supply with good regulator
3. Shunts... which gonna be challenging
4. loads of LiFePo4 batteries + shunts??  :duh:

turbogti

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2012, 04:33 pm »
So I changed all of the internal cables to ROCC silver 20AWG by Neotech.
The bindings/XLR plug are from Cardas
Power plug is from Furutech

The cables cannot be twisted properly as they are in rectangular shape; quite fragile compare to circular shaped ones. I will shield it with something else instead in the near future.

The improvement is quite obvious, especially with the IEC <> SMPS cable replaced.

the most obvious change is the airness and dynamic. It feels less "choked", and much faster. More punches and cleaner bass.

And yes, the Molex tool is expensive, but worth it if you are planning to do serious modding with the Ncore.