Uragano build , Satori / Raal

Terrystouf

Uragano build , Satori / Raal
« on: 15 Jun 2014, 06:40 pm »
 This was my first ever build , the Satori / Raal 2 way that Rick put together for me . I wanted to build the last two-ways I would ever want for , probably a bit ambitious for a fist build , but I think I finally have them . Rick was very patient working with me and my millions of questions during this quite drawn out process . After finally nailing down a box design , to final assembly , I was pretty impressed with the smoothness and detail offered from these 40+ lb cement lined , front ported bad boys . The Satori's needed a short break in to really start coming alive in the lower octaves , they perform exactly as I hoped , exceptional mid-range with adequate bass extension , i don't think I have ever heard mid-range of this quality in any 2 ways with a driver larger than 5.5" before , I know its probably an ignorant generalization , but 6" + drivers have never done it for me as far as mid-range , but they usually have more bass extension. The Satori seems to provide both . I have a sub that I run anyway , but I feel the lower I can cross it the better , but they are quite respectable with out the sub . As for the Raals , I didn't know what to expect , but I can only describe them as smooth and detailed , putting out exactly what is put in , with very good off axis ability . I have heard ride cymbals that sound like a real ride cymbal in the room (yes I am a drummer), and as embarrassing as this is , I can hear the difference , if i really concentrate , from a 320 mp3 to a cd . In my initial listening I felt that for me , I wanted a few db more of the Raal , and I hate to reach for the treble knob , even though that worked , so after running some sweeps with a cheap calibrated mic and sending a graph from the REW software to Rick , he offered a simple mod to the crossovers that I finally just completed , and am wowed with . I can now happily run my Yamaha A-S500 dead flat with a perfect balance for my abused ear drums . The output is enough to easily overwhelm my not so sonically great 18 x 22 listening area , and I cant help but think how much my mind could be blown if i could really turn these up in a proper acoustically treated room .
    I cant say enough good things about Ricks patience and guidance through this build and huge learning curve for me . Anyone looking for a two way that rivals anything I have ever heard in this category should definitely consider these .

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Uragano build , Satori / Raal
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2014, 03:49 am »
Terry,

That looks like a great job! I'm seriously considering the Satori for my next speakers. I'm still trying to decide if I want them front ported or sealed. I'll support them with a couple subs. I'll probably want a dome tweeter instead of a ribbon. I'm pretty certain I prefer domes. Now, which dome do I want?....I'll figure it out eventually.

Thanks for posting this. Got any more build pics? Now that you're a month into the speakers, how do you like them?

Michael