sardonyx

ratso

sardonyx
« on: 30 Jul 2012, 06:22 pm »
for quite a while i have been going with a "phantom" center channel (i.e. none) in my system, which is split between 80% 2 channel and 20% HT use. in the past i have had center channels from axiom (bad) and def tec (worse, actually). my salk HT2-TL's throw a big soundstage, so none was fine. but recently i decided to have made for me a custom entertainment center that could fit a big center channel speaker (made for me by 57th street bookcases in chicago/evanston if anyone is local). i just got it delivered and into it went my new sardonyx center. listened for the first time yesterday and WOW! my experience with centers is obviously not great, but i do know good sound and i was amazed at the difference in my system. big huge soundstage, crystal clear voices for movies and a very natural powerful sound on surround sound music. the craftsmanship is excellent, it is a beautiful speaker and matches perfectly with my salk's sonically (who says you need matching LCR). anyways, mucho impressed with my new toy  :thumb:

PDR

• May the best man win
Re: sardonyx
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2012, 08:27 pm »
My fronts and and rears are arrays designed by Rick, the Sardonyx is a perfect match..... 8)

quattro98

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2012, 11:32 pm »
Congratulations! I'd love so see pics of your system. I'm local as well & planning on moving soon. I'm going to need some bookcases & was planning on going with 57th St. I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a media stand. My current center is an Aerial CC3B, but I'd like to leave space to upgrade to a Selah Magnifico in the future as an option.

ratso

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2012, 09:52 pm »
not the best (cell phone pix) but you get the idea. they did a great job on the cabinet (solid wood, no pressboard), very reasonably priced too. highly recommended.

quattro98

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2012, 12:08 am »
Thanks for the photos. That looks nice with plenty of space for equipment. Is it walnut or another wood with a dark stain?

ratso

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2012, 12:27 am »
yep walnut. i love dark wood, the more funeral parlor-y my house looks the better

persisting1

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2012, 08:02 pm »
Can you tell us why you decided on this center over the Salk?

I take it they use the same drivers and tweeter as your Salks?

ratso

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2012, 03:35 pm »
they are the same manufacturers at least, i have no idea if they are the same model woofs/tweets though (close enough for me). a few reasons. cheaper, for one (and admittedly i found one used on agon, but was gonna get one new). smaller than the salk. and admittedly, i was just curious to hear the selah's. i find them and salk to be of a similar philosophy and build (which is i hope taken as a compliment to both parties).