SoundScapes Delivered!

fsimms

Re: SoundScapes Delivered!
« Reply #20 on: 22 Sep 2010, 02:25 pm »
Bob, you  never told me you bought a Dodd???

Yep, I got a used Dodd phono preamp.  It sounds great, especially with my new SS10's.  I am just using my backup Grado Black cartridge now but have a replacment OC9 comming from Audio Technica this week I hope.

Bob

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #21 on: 23 Sep 2010, 06:07 pm »
Bob
hope your enjoying the speakers. Please post a review after you have had a time with them. I asked once before so will try again...... what other speakers did you listen to and what drove the decision to the Soundscapes. Living in the UK it is difficult nea impossible to listen to them so courious about your road to Salk. Not too many, if any, folks are disappointed by them.
PS I have lived in the Clear Lake area three times and loved it there

fsimms

« Reply #22 on: 23 Sep 2010, 06:42 pm »
hope your enjoying the speakers.

I am having a lot of fun!  Trying to go through a small portion of my LP’s and tweeking.

Please post a review after you have had a time with them.

I will.  I am writing notes as I go along so when I am ready I can just cut and paste a review.   My opinions are slowly evolving.  I am hoping that after about another week I will be able to post some solid impressions.

I asked once before so will try again...... what other speakers did you listen to and what drove the decision to the Soundscapes. Living in the UK it is difficult near impossible to listen to them so curious about your road to Salk. Not too many, if any, folks are disappointed by them.

Sorry, I missed that question before.  I am a longtime audio enthusiast.   I still have my tube receiver and four way Electrovoice speaker from 40 years ago.  I still have Stax earphones from 35 years ago.  I bought a Salk HT1 speaker 6 years ago.  I went to the RMAF in 2007 and 2008 and heard a good sampling of what is out there.  I wasn’t interested in upgrading my Salk HT1 monitors for what I heard.  I did want to upgrade to a 3 way to be able to not have to use an electronic crossover to my sub.  I have heard the Salk HT3’s, Salk SongTower’s, Salk Archo’s and Salk Pharo’s.  I have heard the Vandersteen 5A’s several times.  You can click on the left on “Systems” to see most of the rest of my gear.

Bob

PS So far so good on the review.  :D

« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2010, 09:00 pm by fsimms »

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #23 on: 23 Sep 2010, 08:00 pm »
Thanks Bob
you're a lucky guy. Enjoy and keep us posted

OgOgilby

« Reply #24 on: 24 Sep 2010, 02:58 pm »
Congrats on the SS10's Bob! Looking forward to your review and to find out how you think the SS10's compare to the Vandersteen 5A's.

fsimms

« Reply #25 on: 27 Sep 2010, 01:08 pm »
Can you pls provide some listening impressions regarding :

1. Imaging precision
2. Soundstage width and depth
3. Overall coherence
4. Tone/character

I did a review on another thread.  Hopefully that answers your questions.  If it doesn’t then I will rephrase.  All above are incredible.  The SS10’s are transparent and have a strong “you are there” quality.  Half the room just disappears.

Congrats on the SS10's Bob! Looking forward to your review and to find out how you think the SS10's compare to the Vandersteen 5A's.

I didn’t compare them to the Vandersteen 5A’s in my review.  The first time I listened to the 5A’s I thought they were incredible.  I thought they were better than my HT1’s but at 8 times the price.  I thought my HT1’s were close enough.  I could tell from listening that the 5A’s have polypropylene drivers and I love that sound.  That isn’t what I thought was transparent.  The SS10’s are in another league though.  The SS10’s are beautiful sounding and transparent.   I didn’t listen to the 5A’s a lot then.  I have listened to them several times since but they never were set right so they didn’t have the extreme quality of the first setup.  If I knew that would be the only time that I heard 5A’s set up properly then I would have listened to them more extensively then.

Bob

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #26 on: 27 Sep 2010, 01:44 pm »
Hi Bob. Thx for the review, well explained.