Help in deciding which Salk for me. please

targa02

Help in deciding which Salk for me. please
« on: 25 Apr 2009, 02:30 am »
Hi,  First of all I do not consider myself and audiophile, but certainly appreciate quality and value in audio equipment.  I live in a condo in the San Francisco area with my girlfriend (actually more of a wife (I mean that in a good way  :D))  My listening/viewing/living area are all-in-one.  The wall the mains set against are approximately 15 ft from the sitting position.  I've moved the speaker 30 inches from the wall.  The left wall (floor to ceiling glass) is 8 ft from the left speaker.  The right opens up to the dining/kitchen area.  The ceiling is 19 ft.  The room is carpeted, but at this point no room treatments.  My current equipment is Rocket Sig 1000 mains, Rocket Sig "Bigfoot" center, Magneplanar MMGW as rear surrounds (wall mounted), NAD T754 AV Receiver, NAD T785 Universal Disc Player and a Pioneer PDP-5020 TV.  I had/have an Onix Ref 1 that I have been using for the last 4 years prior to getting the Rocket 1000s.  The RS1ks are certainly fuller sounding, better bass extension and much better imaging IMHO, but they are not as refined as the Ref 1s.  I miss that.  Anyway, I was not aware of Salk Signature Sound until just a few weeks ago.  Wow, do I feel like I have been missing out!  :duh:  What great reviews and great looking speakers!  I use my system about 70/30 (home theater/music), but the ability to reproduce music is more important than home theater.  My budget is $3500 to get started on the mains.  What would you suggest??  Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your responses.

floresjc

Re: Help in deciding which Salk for me. please
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2009, 02:38 am »
In your situation, I'd go with a SongTower set up. They are well under your budget for mains, and you could actually get the matching center. Or grab the ST and the SongSub, since you are mainly HT and you will want that extension.

bahorn1

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2009, 02:43 am »
I second the recommendation for SongTowers for mains.  Then add a SongCenter and/or sub.  I'm in Mountain View if you want to hear my SongTowers, SongCenter, and SongSurround I's.  PM me if interested.  There are at least 3 others in the area I'm aware of with a similar setup of speakers.

--Doug

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2009, 03:29 am »
Jim intends to introduce a new transmission line speaker in the $3000.00 range.  You might considering asking him about the new speaker before deciding.  The SongTower is a great speaker, and if you can increase your budget by $500.00, you could buy the HT2-TL.  If your room permits, you might also find a used pair of HT3.  Jim has a pair for $5000.00, and there was a pair that sold a week or so ago for $3750.00.  The HT2-TL and HT3 have much deeper bass extension than the SongTower and you would not need or desire, in my opinion, a sub for music.

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2009, 04:18 am »
Having compared the Rocket 760's in my room with the SongTowers, I would recommend the HT2-TL's.  Maybe the new TL speaker would be fine too!   If you use a sub then you could use the HT1's or HT2's.  The SongTower's are closer to what you have, but the SongTowers are more refined.

I would give Jim a call.  He will tell it to you straight.

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2009, 04:33 am »
I've also been able to make that comparison, and I'm not going to say which is better, but I'm pretty sure the difference is about as great whether you use the HT2TL or the ST as a comparison.  I don't think it's a matter of refinement--it's a very large difference in midrange voicing for either the ST or HT2.   

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2009, 01:41 pm »
I've also been able to make that comparison, and I'm not going to say which is better, but I'm pretty sure the difference is about as great whether you use the HT2TL or the ST as a comparison.  I don't think it's a matter of refinement--it's a very large difference in midrange voicing for either the ST or HT2.   
+1.  My good friend has a pair of Rocket 760's and the difference between his setup and my ST's is not small.  Needless to say, I am very happy with my SongTower RT's, and I recommend going with a pair, of course.  However, if you can spring the extra $500 for the HT2 TL's, you won't regret it.

targa02

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2009, 02:24 pm »
I second the recommendation for SongTowers for mains.  Then add a SongCenter and/or sub.  I'm in Mountain View if you want to hear my SongTowers, SongCenter, and SongSurround I's.  PM me if interested.  There are at least 3 others in the area I'm aware of with a similar setup of speakers.

--Doug

Thanks!  That is a very kind offer.  PM sent.

targa02

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2009, 02:39 pm »
Thanks to all for your input.  Much appreciated.  One other piece of equipment I currently own that I failed to include is the rocket ULW-10 sub.

With regards to the HT2 TL is that the HT2 floor standing?  I do not see HT2 TL on the web site.  Has anyone heard the new V-Series V3?  That looks to be an interesting comparison to the HT2. 

jermmd

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2009, 02:46 pm »
I say go for a used pair of HT3's. I'll bet you could buy a pair for your price after the HT4's come out. Heck, I might consider upgrading to the HT4's depending on the cost. Where are you located?

targa02

« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2009, 02:50 pm »
I am on the West Coast.  Just South of San Francisco.

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2009, 03:34 pm »
With regards to the HT2 TL is that the HT2 floor standing?  I do not see HT2 TL on the web site.  Has anyone heard the new V-Series V3?  That looks to be an interesting comparison to the HT2. 

The HT2-TL is not the same as the HT2.  We are currently working on a new version of our web site.  The HT2-TL will be listed on the new site, but it is not on our current web site.  There are so many new things and I just didn't have the time to work up pages for both the current and the new site.  So the new site got the pages.  I should be switching to the new site soon - perhaps as soon as tomorrow.

- Jim

haw1144

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2009, 06:22 pm »
If you're willing to drive a lil further, I'm located in San Jose. I also have the SongTower/Center/Surround, as well as the SongSub.

mchuckp

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2009, 08:10 pm »
Jim intends to introduce a new transmission line speaker in the $3000.00 range.  You might considering asking him about the new speaker before deciding.  The SongTower is a great speaker, and if you can increase your budget by $500.00, you could buy the HT2-TL.  If your room permits, you might also find a used pair of HT3.  Jim has a pair for $5000.00, and there was a pair that sold a week or so ago for $3750.00.  The HT2-TL and HT3 have much deeper bass extension than the SongTower and you would not need or desire, in my opinion, a sub for music.

I've heard about the HT4's coming soon, but haven't heard that Jim has anything else new coming.  I'm looking at placing an order for speakers (most likely some ST's) at AK Fest or shortly after.  You have me intrigued as $3K could be in my price range.

Any info around that I'm overlooking?  Time frame for release?

Art_Chicago

« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2009, 08:55 pm »

I've heard about the HT4's coming soon, but haven't heard that Jim has anything else new coming.  I'm looking at placing an order for speakers (most likely some ST's) at AK Fest or shortly after.  You have me intrigued as $3K could be in my price range.

Jim mentioned once that his goal was to make the best speakers <2k (ST's), <3k (coming),< 4k (HT2TL) and so on. Surely he has kept his word so far!

But with the budget of 3500 I'd get HT2TL just based on the reviews.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2009, 11:08 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jim can fill you in about what he has in mind at AK fest.  I'll look forward to meeting you there. 

targa02

« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2009, 02:57 pm »
If you're willing to drive a lil further, I'm located in San Jose. I also have the SongTower/Center/Surround, as well as the SongSub.

Thank you for the offer!  I may take you up on it later.  I hope to hear Doug's system later this week.

bahorn1

« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2009, 09:42 pm »

Thank you for the offer!  I may take you up on it later.  I hope to hear Doug's system later this week.

Hey targa02,

Email and PM response sent.  Just let me know if either time works for you.

--Doug

avalon65

« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2009, 09:11 pm »
Just my two-cents, but you may want to hold back some of your funding and integrate an amp into your system as well. I don't have any experience with your receiver, but I have yet to run across a moderately priced receiver that brings out the bloom of good speakers like separates do. A quick check of the NAD web indicates yours is 90WPC, which is adequate, but not great. Yours has pre-outs so you could take advantage of an external amp to feed your mains and use the receiver to power the center and rears. NAD has some nice amps in the C272 and C275BEE.

targa02

« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2009, 09:48 pm »
Just my two-cents, but you may want to hold back some of your funding and integrate an amp into your system as well. I don't have any experience with your receiver, but I have yet to run across a moderately priced receiver that brings out the bloom of good speakers like separates do. A quick check of the NAD web indicates yours is 90WPC, which is adequate, but not great. Yours has pre-outs so you could take advantage of an external amp to feed your mains and use the receiver to power the center and rears. NAD has some nice amps in the C272 and C275BEE.

Thanks for the input Avalon.  I have considered that I will need to upgrade (it seems to be a never ending cycle with this hobby) my amplification.  I planned on upgrading to a power amp over time.  Do you feel I would be "wasting" my dollars by not upgrading with more refined speakers, such as Salks?  Also, are you familiar with wyred4sound amps ?http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/site/74030/117839/shopping/shopping-plusB.html?find_groupid=18048

Thanks