what 7 channel amplier to use with OPPO 205 UHD

A_shah

what 7 channel amplier to use with OPPO 205 UHD
« on: 7 Jul 2018, 10:54 pm »
Hello,
Just acquired a new OPPO 205 UHD ,my habits are 70 %  music on a separate two channel system for which I use the XLR/RCA outputs and would like to use the Analog 7.1 out puts for a 5.1 /6.1 HT surround sound( F,C,L speakers are KEF  LS 50 and R 200c  and Anthem towers for surrounds   presently using a 7 year old Marantz SR 5005  ,
Presently testing a Emotiva BasX A-700 thought about a Wyred4sound MC 7150 but was talked out it by an AC member
would like any recommendations for a 7 channel amp to use with the Oppo 205  which has a very capable Sabre ES 9038 chipset that can decode the latest surround sound :popcorn: :thumb:
thanks,
Asghar 

milford3

Re: what 7 channel amplier to use with OPPO 205 UHD
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2018, 11:05 pm »
Check out the Marantz line of receivers.  They are built like tanks.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2018, 11:27 pm »
Asghar,

If you diy, there are lots of options...

If not, then find a great AVP like Emotiva’s XMC-1, or JBL Pro Synthesis SDP-45.

Then a 7 channel amp like Nord One Hypex Multichannel or NAD M27, etc...

Best,
Anand.

A_shah

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2018, 12:19 am »
Asghar,

If you diy, there are lots of options...

If not, then find a great AVP like Emotiva’s XMC-1, or JBL Pro Synthesis SDP-45.

Then a 7 channel amp like Nord One Hypex Multichannel or NAD M27, etc...

Best,
Anand.

Anand  thanks

DIY lots of options ? OUCH ! like what, :scratch: will check out  Nord One Hypex Multichannel or NAD M27, presently trying out the Emotiva BAsX A-700
with Analog 7.1 channel output/input not as impressive as my old Marantz SR5005

Asghar

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2018, 12:54 am »
Asghar,

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-700

Why am I not surprised! In any case Emotiva’s forte is really in AV Processor design not amplifier design. Their amps are “ok” but murky with far less fidelity, detail, etc...than the newer Hypex NCore, B&O IceEdge, etc...offerings. The measurements reveal the differences well. If you are curious, email Emotiva, they have measurements of their equipment done on an AP (Audio Precision).

If you really want to harness the level of detail, imaging, etc...from an Oppo 205 from it’s  analog output stage, you’re going to have to look at the aforementioned  offerings or high end Pass, Bryston, Classe, Coda, etc...this gets expensive with heavy Class A/AB biasing though. I’m sure there are other competent amplifier companies.

Don’t forget to upgrade the PS and clocks on the Oppo 205. Makes a good to great improvement.

I have an Oppo 203 which I am only using the HDMI out. I upgraded  both clocks, installed a new linear PS and a new aluminum anodized stabilizer for the transport. The HDMI output connects directly to the AVP and digital to analog conversion occurs there. I don’t use my Oppo 203 for 2ch anything. That’s a separate system.

Enjoy the adventure.

Best,
Anand.

PS: I have a Marantz SR5005. It’s decent for the money.

PPS: Do you have sn AVP or are you going direct from the Oppo 205’s Analog 7.1 outputs?

A_shah

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2018, 07:59 am »
Asghar,

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-700

Why am I not surprised! In any case Emotiva’s forte is really in AV Processor design not amplifier design. Their amps are “ok” but murky with far less fidelity, detail, etc...than the newer Hypex NCore, B&O IceEdge, etc...offerings. The measurements reveal the differences well. If you are curious, email Emotiva, they have measurements of their equipment done on an AP (Audio Precision).

If you really want to harness the level of detail, imaging, etc...from an Oppo 205 from it’s  analog output stage, you’re going to have to look at the aforementioned  offerings or high end Pass, Bryston, Classe, Coda, etc...this gets expensive with heavy Class A/AB biasing though. I’m sure there are other competent amplifier companies.

Don’t forget to upgrade the PS and clocks on the Oppo 205. Makes a good to great improvement.

I have an Oppo 203 which I am only using the HDMI out. I upgraded  both clocks, installed a new linear PS and a new aluminum anodized stabilizer for the transport. The HDMI output connects directly to the AVP and digital to analog conversion occurs there. I don’t use my Oppo 203 for 2ch anything. That’s a separate system.

Enjoy the adventure.

Best,
Anand.

PS: I have a Marantz SR5005. It’s decent for the money.

PPS: Do you have sn AVP or are you going direct from the Oppo 205’s Analog 7.1 outputs?

Right now I am going direct from Oppo 7.1 to the Emotiva A-700( Kef LS 50 for fronts & Kef CC R200) and the XLR are going into the the PS Audio Directstream SR DAC connected to Odyssey Kismet  which are connected to the Daedalus Poseidon that purchased from Lou this Feb,2018
Also own a pair of custom made QuickSilver  Audio 60 watt tube  mono  amps  with Don Sach's DS-2
I have looked at Clone PS for 205 , is it worth  sonically to use that ? which PS would you recommend ? would not know how to upgrade the clocks ? I thought 205 has a jitter free circuit ?
Thanks  :thumb:
Asghar

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2018, 02:42 pm »

Right now I am going direct from Oppo 7.1 to the Emotiva A-700( Kef LS 50 for fronts & Kef CC R200) and the XLR are going into the the PS Audio Directstream SR DAC connected to Odyssey Kismet  which are connected to the Daedalus Poseidon that purchased from Lou this Feb,2018
Also own a pair of custom made QuickSilver  Audio 60 watt tube  mono  amps  with Don Sach's DS-2
I have looked at Clone PS for 205 , is it worth  sonically to use that ? which PS would you recommend ? would not know how to upgrade the clocks ? I thought 205 has a jitter free circuit ?
Thanks  :thumb:
Asghar

You can buy full or partial kits from Oppomods, also diyaudio member "Coris" does modifications of the Oppo 203, 205. There is a massive thread on diyaudio if you are inclined in that direction. Changing system clocks requires precision SMD soldering skills as well as loupe/microscopes and high powered LED light, not to mention flux and a steady hand. Not for most members here on AC.

The 205 has a special circuit to reduce the jitter in the HDMI output but the main system clock can still be improved and that might make a difference.

I am not familiar with Clone PS's linear supply circuit but it appears generic and probably decent.

As usual it depends on how much $$ you want to dump.

If you don't want to do DIY, no problem, the above fellas will do it for you and you can always contact ModWright and see what Dan is up to.

That being said, the stock Oppo 205 and 203 are very nice and the picture quality is amazing.

Have fun!

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2018, 09:07 pm by poseidonsvoice »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2018, 02:58 pm »
Thanks for the link!

That topping DX7 is awesome! Lowest priced dac I've seen with those results.

The Oppo 205 is no slouch for sure. The measurements are glorious and therefore it should give one reason to pause about implementing any modification, although the measurements shown are using the USB input and balanced outputs. Asghar, if that is what your primary method of 2ch listening is then it makes no sense to modify the Oppo. The unit has absolutely flat THD with frequency! That's awesome.

If you are concerned with the unbalanced analog outputs, well, we don't know how the stock unit measures (but Amir is going to test it in the future  :P).

The Oppo 203 I imagine from the analog outputs won't measure as well. Hence I just use the HDMI output.

I have an Oppo 205 coming my way...

I wonder if Amir has measured the PS Audio DirecStream w/RedCloud yet? :scratch:

Best,

Anand.

A_shah

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2018, 05:37 pm »
@ jtwrace
thanks for the link, I intend to leave my OPPO 205 as it is my listening habits do not require esoteric modifications although I try to get the best I can afford and than just enjoy the experience
@poseidonVoice
Anand,
 Nope I don't think I want to  do all that soldiering although I could take the unit  to the the legendary Mark Sanders  who  made my QuickSilver mono's for me and has excellent soldering skills and equipment  he would probably do it and than laugh at me ! :lol: :banghead:

Spoke to Dan about modifying my 203 which I sold to an AC member , Dan was honest about the fact that I do not need to modify the 203 if I was only using it as a transport with the PS Directstream although he felt his mods for the 205 would would compete or better any thing else out their in that price range

thanks again  :thumb:

soundofrockets

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2018, 08:46 pm »
I use combination of Odyssey Kismets for the fronts and Parasound Halo A51 for the surrounds when watching movies.
for stereo I use the Rogue Apollo's with Dark Upgrades. 

A_shah

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2018, 09:16 pm »
I use combination of Odyssey Kismets for the fronts and Parasound Halo A51 for the surrounds when watching movies.
for stereo I use the Rogue Apollo's with Dark Upgrades.

Thanks,
Could do that ! but trying to simplify my movie listening experience with a one stop solution either just a new AVR or hopefully find a 7 channel amp I am happy with directly connecting  to the 7.1Channel output of the OPPO presently testing a Emotive BasX A-700 after 3 days of listening to it it seems to be opening up ! Some have suggested the New Class D Hypex unit which I find interesting although I have never heard one of those , I did own a Peachtree Nova  Class D for my desktop system used with KEF LS 50 ( I have replaced the desktop system with Kef LS 50 W which do have a class D amp ) but I found the Nova to be too clinical but with a dark  background
You have some very nice gear in  of Rogue Apollo with dark upgrades ! :)
Asghar

Studio19atx

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2018, 03:43 am »
If you want something thats built like tank and sounds good ATI and Earthquake sound must be on your list. I had the Cinénova Grande 7, sounded great. I also had the ATI built Lexicon RX-7, which was very good. You should also look at the ATI's hypex amps, they have linear power supplies.

If you don't mind used, then Lexicon LX 7 and Krell Showcase are best bang for buck.

If you want pure Hypex based amps then contact Bellissimo Audio Designs, he can probably build a custom 7 channel amp that meets your needs.

Good luck.

A_shah

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2018, 05:22 am »
Thanks for the link!

That topping DX7 is awesome! Lowest priced dac I've seen with those results.

The Oppo 205 is no slouch for sure. The measurements are glorious and therefore it should give one reason to pause about implementing any modification, although the measurements shown are using the USB input and balanced outputs. Asghar, if that is what your primary method of 2ch listening is then it makes no sense to modify the Oppo. The unit has absolutely flat THD with frequency! That's awesome.

If you are concerned with the unbalanced analog outputs, well, we don't know how the stock unit measures (but Amir is going to test it in the future  :P).

The Oppo 203 I imagine from the analog outputs won't measure as well. Hence I just use the HDMI output.

I have an Oppo 205 coming my way...

I wonder if Amir has measured the PS Audio DirecStream w/RedCloud yet? :scratch:

Best,

Anand.

Sorry made a mistake  :banghead: the Oppo 205 is connected to the Directstream Via Coax  and the  2 channel XLR are going into the Don Sachs Pre amp.which in turn are connected to the QS Mono-60 after reading Amir link I don't think I want go for any mod on this unit
Asghar

A_shah

« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2018, 08:44 pm »
Well ultimately ended  up with wyred4sound MC 7150., I short listed two Class D amplifiers Nord Acoustics 8 channel amplifier which would have to ship from UK and the Wyred4sound MC 7150.
I listened to the MC 7150 at the CAS 2018 and talked to EJ Sarmento the owner of Wyred4Sound and come to the conclusion I would be better off with the MC7150 , price wise and the fact the unit is made right here in California.

My first Impressions are it is a" very sweet sounding amplifier", very quite , very good dynamics and control , and works well with the OPPO 205 UHD 7.1 channel outputs. my 1st test  DVD was the DAS BOOT and WOW ! waves splashing around sounded so realistic with the KEF L/C/R channels , the depth charges on the submarines just exploded on my 15 "  HSU  research VTF 15H MKII subwoofer ! , the couch , the room vibrated and the vibrations could be felt upstairs , the MC 7150 is very clean and realistic sounding amplifier in a home theater environment and worth the price I paid for it.  :popcorn:     

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2018, 10:16 pm »
Enjoy!

Glad you found a unit you can live with!

Best,
Anand.

A_shah

« Reply #16 on: 2 Aug 2018, 02:03 am »
Enjoy!

Glad you found a unit you can live with!

Best,
Anand.

Thanks Anand
did take a look at the Nord  acoustic multi-channel  would have cost around 2K which was fine ! but time frame to get it from UK  and not having heard a Nord amp except on youtube , MC 7150 has been around since 2013 , tried  and tested model with very good reviews ,  got a chance to talk to EJ Sarmento of Wyred4sound  and he was kind enough to bring a unit to CAS 2018 , and I listened to it  along with other people in the room, who were also pretty impressed with the unit   plus the price he offered me was well worth it   :thumb:
Asghar

Macktrec

« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2018, 05:02 pm »
Hello - Recommend (if you can find a stable/good one) is Krell's Showcase 7 amplifier.  Is powerful A Type power with a very quiet noise floor.  Rated at 125w 8ohms but do not let this fool you as it has a very high current I've measured myself.

Take care,
Macktrec