Bryston BP17 Cubed preamplifier

Marius

Re: Bryston BP17 Cubed preamplifier
« Reply #20 on: 3 Aug 2017, 10:22 am »
It will be the latest circuits.

james

Wonderful! would the fixed balanced output be suited to hookup the BHA-1? #fingerscrossed...

Also, would you be able to accommodate more digital spdif inputs? The BDA3 lost to the BDA1 on that aspect, and that's what keeping at least me from upgrading just yet. And, since I would be filling 4 HDMIs already, a set of spare inputs wouldn't hurt either.

As i just posted else in AC, could it also have more balanced inputs that the Bp26 now has, and preferably at least 2 AES inputs on the DAC.

Monster of a machine of course, i know, but since your early in the design, i would think this is the time to ask ;)

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 3 Aug 2017, 10:47 am »

Wonderful! would the fixed balanced output be suited to hookup the BHA-1? #fingerscrossed...

Also, would you be able to accommodate more digital spdif inputs? The BDA3 lost to the BDA1 on that aspect, and that's what keeping at least me from upgrading just yet. And, since I would be filling 4 HDMIs already, a set of spare inputs wouldn't hurt either.

As i just posted else in AC, could it also have more balanced inputs that the Bp26 now has, and preferably at least 2 AES inputs on the DAC.

Monster of a machine of course, i know, but since your early in the design, i would think this is the time to ask ;)

Cheers,
Marius

Yes Monster and very, very expensive.  It will be close to a BP-17 and BDA3 combined.

james

Marius

« Reply #22 on: 3 Aug 2017, 11:37 am »
Yes Monster and very, very expensive.

james

Feared as much. Though that hasn’t kept you from designing the Sp3 before.

Would it be modular? Kind of like the fact that there still is hardly any need to update the Bp26 while my bda1 is long overdue. Having these different worlds in one box would sacrifice that adjustability to modern times if not modular.

Exciting, eagerly awaiting your new top tier amp/dac!
Marius

95Dyna

« Reply #23 on: 3 Aug 2017, 10:08 pm »
Hi Bill

No the new MM phono stages are different in the BP-17 cubed - it is based on the new 1/3rd size phono stages we just developed.  Trade ins would be up to the dealer.

james

Thanks James.  Are you saying that the difference is just form factor and not the circuit itself and resulting performance?  The reason I'm asking is I'm considering adding the new TF-2 to my existing  BP-26 internal MM or buying a new MC phono preamp to upgrade my existing.  However if the new MM stage (both external and internal) are improved from a performance  standpoint it would make good sense in light of the expense I would encounter to consider trading or selling my BP-26/MPS-2 and currrent MC phono pre for the new BP-17 MM and the TF-2. I would also pick up the fixed balanced out and full function remote in the process.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 4 Aug 2017, 11:38 am »
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Bryston Launches BP-17³ Cubed Preamplifier

New preamp is the first to employ patented Salomie input circuit and new feature set with highly flexible input/output array

Peterborough, Ontario August, 2017

Bryston has announced the introduction of the new BP-17³ (Cubed Series) preamplifier, utilizing patented technology that debuted on the much heralded Cubed Series amplifiers. The BP-17³ also features a new expanded input/output configuration for enhanced system flexibility. Like all analog components from Bryston, the BP-17³ is covered by an industry best 20 year warranty.

Bryston’s patented super-linear, low noise input buffer jointly developed by Bryston and the late Ph.D. engineer Dr. Ioan Alexandru Salomie significantly reduces noise and distortion. The BP-17³ also has improved RF and audio frequency noise filtering to prevent unwanted anomalies on the power line from interfering even minutely with the audio signal.

The BP-17³ offers expanded input/output options, including two pairs of XLR outputs and two pairs of RCA outputs, making it possible to connect a wide variety of equipment and accommodate numerous system configurations. An RCA tape loop lets users connect a line-level processor or recording device and one of the XLR output pairs can be internally selected to have either variable (default) or fixed output enabling users to easily connect a Bryston BHA-1 or other balanced input headphone amplifier.

The BP-17³ also includes two pairs of balanced inputs and five pair RCA inputs, and can be ordered with a high-resolution internal DAC, a premium moving magnet phono stage, both DAC and phono modules or without either module installed. Users can select sources, adjust volume and more all from the optional BR-2 remote control or via RS232 connection to virtually any control ecosystem. The BP-173 is available in either black or silver, 17-inch or 19-inch (wide) faceplates.

The BP-17³ will begin shipping to authorized dealers in September, 2017 with a US MSRP of $3995.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xcmwzp8fuj3q1gb/AABiKJbuijglWLE7YBUtTCAsa?dl=0

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 4 Aug 2017, 11:54 am »
Thanks James.  Are you saying that the difference is just form factor and not the circuit itself and resulting performance?  The reason I'm asking is I'm considering adding the new TF-2 to my existing  BP-26 internal MM or buying a new MC phono preamp to upgrade my existing.  However if the new MM stage (both external and internal) are improved from a performance  standpoint it would make good sense in light of the expense I would encounter to consider trading or selling my BP-26/MPS-2 and currrent MC phono pre for the new BP-17 MM and the TF-2. I would also pick up the fixed balanced out and full function remote in the process.

Hi

When you get to this level of performance the differences become smaller and smaller - I think I would make decisions on which preamplifier to purchase based on the feature set each offer.

james
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2017, 08:09 pm by James Tanner »

95Dyna

« Reply #26 on: 4 Aug 2017, 04:51 pm »
Hi

When you get to this level of performance yes the differences become smaller and smaller - I think I would make decisions on which preamplifier to purchase based on the feature set each offer.

james

Thank you sir!  I appreciate the input. I was  just looking over my circa 2009 BR2 and am wondering how the input selection on the BP 17 3 would work as the buttons outside volume and mute are CD and DAC oriented.  Will there be a faceplate and/or code change required to make it work?

SoundGame

« Reply #27 on: 4 Aug 2017, 05:44 pm »
Hi James - nice to see this has now officially been announced.  I think it will prove to be a great success given its single box configuration; new input circuitry and most impressive - fully balanced in/our circuitry.

Are there any preliminary specifications available to share?  I'm just interested in the impact of the new input stage to the overall distortion, as well, as I'm interested if the output voltage will be as high as the BP26.  This I see as a serious strength of the BP26, as its output voltage is higher than much of the competition, allowing it to be matched to just about any amplifier out there.  Will the BP-173 be the same?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 4 Aug 2017, 07:55 pm »
Thank you sir!  I appreciate the input. I was  just looking over my circa 2009 BR2 and am wondering how the input selection on the BP 17 3 would work as the buttons outside volume and mute are CD and DAC oriented.  Will there be a faceplate and/or code change required to make it work?

Hi

The Cubed BP17 will use the same code as the B135 and the BP17 - 712.

There should be a button on the BR2 that says Preamp - that will work some of the inputs as well.  We are looking at that now.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 4 Aug 2017, 07:56 pm »
Hi James - nice to see this has now officially been announced.  I think it will prove to be a great success given its single box configuration; new input circuitry and most impressive - fully balanced in/our circuitry.

Are there any preliminary specifications available to share?  I'm just interested in the impact of the new input stage to the overall distortion, as well, as I'm interested if the output voltage will be as high as the BP26.  This I see as a serious strength of the BP26, as its output voltage is higher than much of the competition, allowing it to be matched to just about any amplifier out there.  Will the BP-173 be the same?

Good questions - I will ask.

james

Pundamilia

« Reply #30 on: 4 Aug 2017, 09:32 pm »
It would be very interesting for current BP-26 owners to know the advances (other than the input stage and BDA-3 circuitry) in the BP-17 that would make it an upgrade from the BP-26.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 4 Aug 2017, 10:20 pm »
It would be very interesting for current BP-26 owners to know the advances (other than the input stage and BDA-3 circuitry) in the BP-17 that would make it an upgrade from the BP-26.

With the BP17 Cubed it's not just the input stage that's different - the whole Class A circuitry from input to output is the new design.

James

tie_breaker

« Reply #32 on: 5 Aug 2017, 03:11 am »
James, what improvements can we expect to hear with BP17 Cubed compared to BP26 in terms of sound quality?
Thx..

Xinon

« Reply #33 on: 5 Aug 2017, 06:45 am »
James, what improvements can we expect to hear with BP17 Cubed compared to BP26 in terms of sound quality?
Thx..
Im also interested in this question.
I like the direct sound of Bp26, and do not need/want smoother or more relaxed sound 8)
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2017, 08:26 am by Xinon »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 5 Aug 2017, 10:42 am »
Im also interested in this question.
I like the direct sound of Bp26, and do not need/want smoother or more relaxed sound 8)

Hi

I have the BP17 Cubed at home this weekend and am doing some blind tests with the 26.  Will report back.

james

Bones13

« Reply #35 on: 5 Aug 2017, 08:28 pm »
Congratulations on your new product release! It should be a winner.

I'm hooked on my BDA-3, and would definitely look at a BP26+BDA3 combo. Separate PSU would be extra money, but sonically a big plus.

Would it have the current (or better) HDMI board for inputs and switching?

2 channel SP-3 with 2 chassis design. I assume the MM phono and speaker crossover boards would be options, like the BP17 Cubed?

SoundGame

« Reply #36 on: 6 Aug 2017, 01:23 am »
Hi

The Cubed BP17 will use the same code as the B135 and the BP17 - 712.

There should be a button on the BR2 that says Preamp - that will work some of the inputs as well.  We are looking at that now.

james

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

R. Daneel

« Reply #37 on: 6 Aug 2017, 02:34 pm »
Hi!

Okay, the BP-17³ will have a new entirely new analog circuitry but I am a little confused about the DAC. Is it going to have a BDA-3 -like DAC or is are zou keeping the internal 24/96 board based on the CS4398

Cheers
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 6 Aug 2017, 02:59 pm »
Hi!

Okay, the BP-17³ will have a new entirely new analog circuitry but I am a little confused about the DAC. Is it going to have a BDA-3 -like DAC or is are zou keeping the internal 24/96 board based on the CS4398

Cheers
Antun

It will have the older DAC for now - 24/96 capable

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #39 on: 6 Aug 2017, 03:17 pm »
It will have the older DAC for now - 24/96 capable

james

Thank you Sir!

Cheers!
Antun