Bryston BP17 Cubed preamplifier

Jimmy71

Re: Bryston BP17 Cubed preamplifier
« Reply #60 on: 20 Aug 2017, 10:26 am »
Hi

No we are working on a new preamp which will allow the digital crossover to be used internally but the B_17 would need a total redesign.

James
Hi James can you please tell me when is this new BP 26 preamp  due and will there be any cosmetic changes from the BP26?                                                 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 20 Aug 2017, 08:47 pm »
Hi James can you please tell me when is this new BP 26 preamp  due and will there be any cosmetic changes from the BP26?                                                 

HI

At least a year away and will be 2 rack spaces high with a single rack space external power supply.

james

jippo

« Reply #62 on: 24 Aug 2017, 11:59 am »
Dear all,
maybe a bit off topic but yet somehow related: looked at the backside of the BR2 remote of my BP17 and found out that the used screws are exactly the same as I've been looking for for another device of mine.

No idea what these screws are. Can anybody help me? For sure they are not metric. I assume it is either 4 - 40 UNC or 4 - 48 UNF. Here in Europe these are hard to find if you do not exactly know what you are looking for. Nearly no dealers offer them.

Sorry, hope it is okay to post this question here.

BP17 is great, love mine :-)

Appreciate any help on my specific problem,

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey, as the distributor for the Benelux I think we can help you - please send me a PM.

Hein

95Dyna

« Reply #63 on: 25 Aug 2017, 09:19 pm »
Hi James,

Any word on Soundgame's question regarding the BP17 Cubed output voltage specs for both SE and balanced?

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #64 on: 25 Aug 2017, 10:17 pm »
Sorry nothing yet - I would assume they would be similar to our other preamps - 30 Volts Balanced and 15 Single ended.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #65 on: 28 Aug 2017, 10:54 pm »
Hi James

Any future plans to provide for outboard power for BP17 cubed via the MPS2 or PS3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #66 on: 28 Aug 2017, 11:08 pm »
Hi James

Any future plans to provide for outboard power for BP17 cubed via the MPS2 or PS3?

Hi

No plans on that front.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #67 on: 29 Aug 2017, 06:26 pm »
Hi James,

Two final questions before I decide on moving from BP26 > BP17 Cubed:

- How do you select among the balanced output to the amp(s) and fixed balanced out to the headphone amp?

- You mentioned earlier you were "looking" at some things on the BR-2 relative to the BP17 Cubed operation.  If I order the BP17 this week with a new BR-2 will  it have whatever modifications you are looking at?

Thanks,

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 29 Aug 2017, 06:48 pm »
Hi Bill,

1. The Balanced 1 and 2 outputs come factory set at Variable.  You can order the preamp to have Balanced output number 1 to be Fixed.

2. The changes in the BR-2 have to do with making it simpler - we are thinking of a different overlay on the remote but that is a ways off. The current BR2 runs the BP-17 Cubed fine but some of the labels on the buttons need to change in the future.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #69 on: 29 Aug 2017, 07:37 pm »
Hi Bill,

1. The Balanced 1 and 2 outputs come factory set at Variable.  You can order the preamp to have Balanced output number 1 to be Variable.

2. The changes in the BR-2 have to do with making it simpler - we are thinking of a different overlay on the remote but that is a ways off. The current BR2 runs the BP-17 Cubed fine but some of the labels on the buttons need to change in the future.

james
Thanks James, I guess I wasn't clear on my first question. Are all of the outputs always active such that if you want to listen to the headphones out of the fixed balance out you must turn down the volume to the variable balanced  and SE outputs or turn the loudspeaker amps off?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 29 Aug 2017, 07:43 pm »
Thanks James, I guess I wasn't clear on my first question. Are all of the outputs always active such that if you want to listen to the headphones out of the fixed balance out you must turn down the volume to the variable balanced  and SE outputs or turn the loudspeaker amps off?

Yes the fixed output would stay fixed regardless of where the volume control was on the BP-17.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #71 on: 30 Aug 2017, 07:40 pm »
Hi James,

Sorry, one more question. Since the internal MM section on the BP17 cubed will be on board with the power supply will there be any compromise with noise in the circuit vs. using the BP2-20 and PS-3 or vs the BP26P/MPS-2? I read in one description the new BP17 is designed to keep all such interference in check.  A clarification would be appreciated.

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 30 Aug 2017, 08:04 pm »
Hi James,

Sorry, one more question. Since the internal MM section on the BP17 cubed will be on board with the power supply will there be any compromise with noise in the circuit vs. using the BP2-20 and PS-3 or vs the BP26P/MPS-2? I read in one description the new BP17 is designed to keep all such interference in check.  A clarification would be appreciated.

Bill

Hi Bill

You try to reduce the magnetic interference as best you can with internal phono stages and with MM stages it easier than with high gain MC stages.  External phono stages eliminate the issue all together of course but add cost and connector requirements.

Its a tough call - I have not measured the the difference between our internal and our external phono stage but I have the MM stage in the BP-17 Cubed at home with the Bryston turntable and an Ortofon MM cartridge and have no issues at all. I also have the BP26 with the Bryston turntable and the external Bryston MM/MC Phono Stage with the PS3 power supply and a BENZ moving coil and it also performs very well.

Hows that for a political answer !!!

james

95Dyna

« Reply #73 on: 30 Aug 2017, 08:23 pm »
Hi Bill

You try to reduce the magnetic interference as best you can with internal phono stages and with MM stages it easier than with high gain MC stages.  External phono stages eliminate the issue all together of course but add cost and connector requirements.

Its a tough call - I have not measured the the difference between our internal and our external phono stage but I have the MM stage in the BP-17 Cubed at home with the Bryston turntable and an Ortofon MM cartridge and have no issues at all. I also have the BP26 with the Bryston turntable and the external Bryston MM/MC Phono Stage with the PS3 power supply and a BENZ moving coil and it also performs very well.

Hows that for a political answer !!!

james

Skillfully  done, James.  You should  run for office! I'm just trying to make up my mind at the 11th hour whether to jump on the BP17 3 with MM promo and replace my BP26P with a change to  my existing 3rd party mm/mc phone stage in the mix.  I haven't used the BP26 MM section in the 9 years I've had the unit and was thinking that adding the TF-2 would make sense whether I keep the 26 or go to  the 17 w/mm.  The 26 with MPS-2 there is no issue.  With the 17 I would  rather pay the extra money for BP-2 20 and PS 3 than risk any compromising sound quality due to PS noise.  You have to stop providing so many choices, you're giving me shoppers block :lol:

Mike-48

« Reply #74 on: 3 Sep 2017, 03:51 am »
No - we are looking at doing a BP-26 combined with a BDA-3 as a preamp in the future

I think that's a great idea.  Those with only digital sources don't need much more from a preamp. Volume only. It seems to me that the categories are converging ... and for good reason.

Mike-48

« Reply #75 on: 3 Sep 2017, 04:06 am »
James,

Regarding the future monster BP-26 preamp, you mentioned a crossover would be an option. Might that include a sub option for those using main speakers (with passive crossovers) and sub(s)?

There is a dearth of really good electronic crossovers around, and it makes sense to incorporate one in a DAC/preamp.

My impression is, the 10B has not been updated to new circuitry.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 3 Sep 2017, 10:16 am »
James,

Regarding the future monster BP-26 preamp, you mentioned a crossover would be an option. Might that include a sub option for those using main speakers (with passive crossovers) and sub(s)?

There is a dearth of really good electronic crossovers around, and it makes sense to incorporate one in a DAC/preamp.

My impression is, the 10B has not been updated to new circuitry.

Hi

The 10B  is an analog active crossover and is very flexible so ideal for adding a sub to a system.  The BAX-1 is an active digital crossover and is designed to go with our new Active Bryston speakers. It is specifically designed using dedicated software to operate the Model T the Middle T and the Mini T (all different software).  So when I mentioned the new preamp would have a crossover module I meant for our specific speakers and built in to the new preamp.

Active crossovers like the 10B offer excellent flexibility so they can be used in a variety of systems but they are limited by their universality because they typically only offer slope and crossover roll-off options. The Bryston BAX-1 crossover is designed with a particular speaker in mind (Model T, Middle T, Mini T) and therefore can be optimized (we do over 300 measurements in the anechoic chamber) to provide the best 'Sound Power' (on and off-axis flat frequency response) available for each given speaker.

james

Mike-48

« Reply #77 on: 3 Sep 2017, 05:19 pm »
The 10B  is an analog active crossover and is very flexible so ideal for adding a sub to a system.  The BAX-1 is an active digital crossover and is designed to go with our new Active Bryston speakers. [...]

OK James, thanks, that explains it.

Raimo

« Reply #78 on: 3 Sep 2017, 09:11 pm »
Hi

The 10B  is an analog active crossover and is very flexible so ideal for adding a sub to a system.  The BAX-1 is an active digital crossover and is designed to go with our new Active Bryston speakers. It is specifically designed using dedicated software to operate the Model T the Middle T and the Mini T (all different software).  So when I mentioned the new preamp would have a crossover module I meant for our specific speakers and built in to the new preamp.

Active crossovers like the 10B offer excellent flexibility so they can be used in a variety of systems but they are limited by their universality because they typically only offer slope and crossover roll-off options. The Bryston BAX-1 crossover is designed with a particular speaker in mind (Model T, Middle T, Mini T) and therefore can be optimized (we do over 300 measurements in the anechoic chamber) to provide the best 'Sound Power' (on and off-axis flat frequency response) available for each given speaker.

james
So no plans att all for a preamp with built in crossover for subwoofer?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #79 on: 3 Sep 2017, 10:10 pm »
So no plans att all for a preamp with built in crossover for subwoofer?

Hi

Not at this point - it will be a plug in module dedicated to our active speakers.

james