Bryston BP17 Cubed preamplifier

95Dyna

Re: Bryston BP17 Cubed preamplifier
« Reply #40 on: 6 Aug 2017, 10:01 pm »
Now that my interest in the BP17 cubed is at a fever pitch I'm looking at it in fine detail and am confused as to  how the Analog 1 input button serves also as the selector (or  shift  key) for the digital inputs. If you select analog 1 and don't want to shift to digital how is this accomplished?  On the back panel input 1 appears to be dual purpose serving one stereo analog connection or 2 RCA digitals.  I tried to figure this out looking at the B135 cubed manual but to no avail.  There isn't a BP17 3 manual on the website as yet.

Syncytial

« Reply #41 on: 6 Aug 2017, 10:26 pm »
Now that my interest in the BP17 cubed is at a fever pitch I'm looking at it in fine detail and am confused as to  how the Analog 1 input button serves also as the selector (or  shift  key) for the digital inputs. If you select analog 1 and don't want to shift to digital how is this accomplished?  On the back panel input 1 appears to be dual purpose serving one stereo analog connection or 2 RCA digitals.  I tried to figure this out looking at the B135 cubed manual but to no avail.  There isn't a BP17 3 manual on the website as yet.

If the internal DAC is fitted, in either the BP-17 or the B135, the two coax inputs for Aux 2 become digital inputs, thus the Aux 2 button no longer has an analogue Aux 2 function - it becomes a toggle for digital/analogue mode. When in digital mode, selecting D1 to D4 digital inputs is done with the buttons used for other inputs in analogue mode - look at the front and rear panel images.

Look at the diagrams with explanatory legends in the B135 manual, or the BP17 manual. I expect it'll work the same way with the BP173, supported by the labelling of the buttons and the back panel.

Syncytial.

R. Daneel

« Reply #42 on: 7 Aug 2017, 09:20 am »
Hello!

Would the improvements done to cubed series amps with Dr. Salomie's input section be beneficial to BHA-1 headphone amp? Hopefully in a future BHA-2 headamp?

Best,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #43 on: 7 Aug 2017, 10:19 am »
If the internal DAC is fitted, in either the BP-17 or the B135, the two coax inputs for Aux 2 become digital inputs, thus the Aux 2 button no longer has an analogue Aux 2 function - it becomes a toggle for digital/analogue mode. When in digital mode, selecting D1 to D4 digital inputs is done with the buttons used for other inputs in analogue mode - look at the front and rear panel images.

Look at the diagrams with explanatory legends in the B135 manual, or the BP17 manual. I expect it'll work the same way with the BP173, supported by the labelling of the buttons and the back panel.

Syncytial.

Good explanation - thanks

james

95Dyna

« Reply #44 on: 7 Aug 2017, 04:14 pm »

Syncytial.

Thanks Syncytial.  I appreciate your clarification. 

95Dyna

« Reply #45 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:44 pm »
Hi James,

I'm most interested in hearing about your double blind test comparing the BP's 26/17 3 over this past weekend.  If I decide to take the plunge to replace my 26 and go for the BP17 3 I'd like to do it this month to take advantage of the no cost phono stage promo. I would plan to put the TF-2 in front of it and add the BHA-1.  It's that fixed level balanced out to the  HP amp that got me started on this  :thumb:

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 8 Aug 2017, 07:53 pm »
Hi Bill

I find there are a few differences between the BP26 and the new BP-17 Cubed preamplifiers.  The BP-17 Cubed circuitry is based on the new patent we received for the input stage of the new Cubed amplifiers.

The soundstage presentation is different – with the BP-26 it’s a more up-front sound with the voices or instrument tending to be at or slightly forward of the plane of the loudspeaker whereas the BP-17 Cubed has a more recessed presentation where most of the action is at the plane of the speaker and further behind.  The size of the stage  (left to right and front to back) as well as the presentation of the instruments (size and position) within the stage was very close so no major difference there I could detect. The BP-26 sounds a little ‘puncher’ in the mid-bass frequency area while the BP-17 Cubed is a little less forceful. If you like that ‘in your gut’ bass punch you may prefer the BP-26 in this area.

The part where I think the 17 excels is when a crescendo comes along – either voice of instrument. In some recordings where the vocalist or instrument goes from a low or medium volume level to a crescendo or maybe even approaching a scream with voice  the 17 never sounds strained or has any sense of glare or stridency. Sometimes I was thinking the BP-17 Cubed lacked dynamic capability but the more I listened the more I thought – no – it’s just that it is not producing any sense of overload or strain in the music when pushed. Transients in real music are huge and the ability of the BP-17 to deal with these huge shifts of level is something it handles very well.

So if I had to sum up the BP-17 in a word it would be “organic” – less hi-fi sounding. It has a very natural sound to it with no strain or glare.

Will spend some more time with the 17 going forward but so far these are my observations.

Hope this helps.

james

spartana

« Reply #47 on: 8 Aug 2017, 09:12 pm »
James,
Thanks!

How big is the difference of the original BP17 to the cubed? More the 5% or 50% difference? Does an original BP17 owner have to get nervous about the new cubed version?

Geoffrey

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 9 Aug 2017, 12:02 am »
James,
Thanks!

How big is the difference of the original BP17 to the cubed? More the 5% or 50% difference? Does an original BP17 owner have to get nervous about the new cubed version?

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey

The BP 17 was based on the BP-26 preamp so the differences would be similar.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #49 on: 9 Aug 2017, 02:12 am »
Hi Bill

I find there are a few differences between the BP26 and the new BP-17 Cubed preamplifiers.  The BP-17 Cubed circuitry is based on the new patent we received for the input stage of the new Cubed amplifiers.

The soundstage presentation is different – with the BP-26 it’s a more up-front sound with the voices or instrument tending to be at or slightly forward of the plane of the loudspeaker whereas the BP-17 Cubed has a more recessed presentation where most of the action is at the plane of the speaker and further behind.  The size of the stage  (left to right and front to back) as well as the presentation of the instruments (size and position) within the stage was very close so no major difference there I could detect. The BP-26 sounds a little ‘puncher’ in the mid-bass frequency area while the BP-17 Cubed is a little less forceful. If you like that ‘in your gut’ bass punch you may prefer the BP-26 in this area.

The part where I think the 17 excels is when a crescendo comes along – either voice of instrument. In some recordings where the vocalist or instrument goes from a low or medium volume level to a crescendo or maybe even approaching a scream with voice  the 17 never sounds strained or has any sense of glare or stridency. Sometimes I was thinking the BP-17 Cubed lacked dynamic capability but the more I listened the more I thought – no – it’s just that it is not producing any sense of overload or strain in the music when pushed. Transients in real music are huge and the ability of the BP-17 to deal with these huge shifts of level is something it handles very well.

So if I had to sum up the BP-17 in a word it would be “organic” – less hi-fi sounding. It has a very natural sound to it with no strain or glare.

Will spend some more time with the 17 going forward but so far these are my observations.

Hope this helps.

james

Thanks James!  I really appreciate your evaluation.  I am a hopeless bass head so the bass difference does concern me however the "organic", strength with transients and lack of  strain or glare sound interesting.  Glad to hear that soundstage properties are on par with the BP-26.  In my setup vocals, especially female, hover over me in front of the speaker plane and the stage goes from there all the way to and sometimes beyond the back wall.  It is often at least 1.5 tp 2m high with BP26>7BSST2>Focal Sopra 2's.  I love my BP26 which is 8 years old now and don't want to lose what I like about it just to have a fixed level balanced output for my headphone amp.  I may hold off on taking the leap and experiment with the BHA-1 balanced direct from my Esoteric K-05 vs. SE to the BHA-1 from the BP26 SE tape out.  If I find that the balanced connection makes a big difference I can reconsider then.  In the meantime hopefully some additional thoughts and impressions will become available.

Xinon

« Reply #50 on: 17 Aug 2017, 05:44 pm »
Only in hifi does the music sound relaxed, in real life brass instruments and snare drums makes your ears bleed.
I will keep my BP26 to an even punchier, more upfront, open, and dynamic Bryston pre comes along  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 17 Aug 2017, 06:02 pm »
Hi Folks,

A few great reviews on the new BP-17 Cubed in the works from Stereophile and Soundstage and Enjoy The Music Magazine.

james
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2017, 07:15 pm by James Tanner »

95Dyna

« Reply #52 on: 17 Aug 2017, 07:22 pm »
Hi Folks,

A few great reviews on the new BP-17 Cubed in the works from Stereophile and Soundstage and Enjoy The Music Magazine.

james

Thanks  for the heads up, James.  This is just what I'm looking for and these are three of the most well known pubs in the business. As stated previously I would like to decide on this by the end of the month to get the MM phono option promo.  Any chance any of them will be available before then? Parting with my BP26 would be  a destabilizing event inn my life.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 17 Aug 2017, 07:45 pm »
Thanks  for the heads up, James.  This is just what I'm looking for and these are three of the most well known pubs in the business. As stated previously I would like to decide on this by the end of the month to get the MM phono option promo.  Any chance any of them will be available before then? Parting with my BP26 would be  a destabilizing event inn my life.

Hi

I doubt you will see them for at least 2 months or more as the magazines typically want 6 week loaners.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #54 on: 17 Aug 2017, 08:19 pm »
Hi

I doubt you will see them for at least 2 months or more as the magazines typically want 6 week loaners.

james

Thanks James.  I'll take your word that they are "great" reviews.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 17 Aug 2017, 09:14 pm »
Thanks James.  I'll take your word that they are "great" reviews.

Yes I get sneak peaks but I am sworn to secrecy.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #56 on: 18 Aug 2017, 01:27 am »
Yes I get sneak peaks but I am sworn to secrecy.

james
Personal integrity is the most important asset a man can carry in his bag.  Hats off to you for maintainig yours :thumb:fill

Raimo

« Reply #57 on: 18 Aug 2017, 07:51 pm »
Hallo James, do you have any plan on offering a digital crossover board to the BP17Cubed?
I would be interested in a 80Hz crossover, the problem is that i have a infra bass module system and need to be able to lift the lowest frequenses below 20Hz.
And also have a tilt funktion from 80Hz and down. Is this possible to implement to the software?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #58 on: 18 Aug 2017, 08:16 pm »
Hallo James, do you have any plan on offering a digital crossover board to the BP17Cubed?
I would be interested in a 80Hz crossover, the problem is that i have a infra bass module system and need to be able to lift the lowest frequenses below 20Hz.
And also have a tilt funktion from 80Hz and down. Is this possible to implement to the software?

Hi

No we are working on a new preamp which will allow the digital crossover to be used internally but the B_17 would need a total redesign.

James

spartana

« Reply #59 on: 19 Aug 2017, 12:14 pm »
Dear all,
maybe a bit off topic but yet somehow related: looked at the backside of the BR2 remote of my BP17 and found out that the used screws are exactly the same as I've been looking for for another device of mine.

No idea what these screws are. Can anybody help me? For sure they are not metric. I assume it is either 4 - 40 UNC or 4 - 48 UNF. Here in Europe these are hard to find if you do not exactly know what you are looking for. Nearly no dealers offer them.

Sorry, hope it is okay to post this question here.

BP17 is great, love mine :-)

Appreciate any help on my specific problem,

Geoffrey