Opinions of the Tempest

BWentler

• In Christ, we are all saved!
Opinions of the Tempest
« on: 7 Mar 2003, 04:01 am »
Does anyone here have the Tempest pre-amp?  I would like some reviews and opinions of it.

Thanks

W.C.

Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2003, 05:41 am »

Eduardo AAVM

Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2003, 01:43 pm »
Well I just copy and paste what I wrote:

Sincerly despite the lack of remote unite, the Tempest is by far the most natural sounding, to me there is no need of many adjectives just one: musical and the Tempest simply lets the music live. What W.C. wrote is completaly true. I had not used the phono stage.

The Tempest is a great product that deserves more attention, much more, the sound is open, natural, articulated.

Sincerly I have tried some other pres but I liked most the sound when the Stratos work togheter with the Tempest...

The other option was a tube Margules 220

JoshK

Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2003, 03:46 pm »
I wondered whether the phono section was of good quality or not.  Certainly seems to be the right price for a full featured (less remote) preamp.  If you are a DIYer type, you could get the remote package from Bent audio and retrofit it to the Tempest if a remote is necessary.  I think for a music only system remote is not needed.  Just the cd players remote....sometimes....

Eduardo AAVM

Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2003, 04:24 pm »
Well the phono section looks incredible I was surprised by the phono module quality and looks.

Joshk right I did not believe I could live without remote, but yes I am free I can live and I enjoy music much more, just sit and listen, not changing this, changing that...

Marbles

Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2003, 05:29 pm »
In the fall Klaus was working on a remote control (using an Alps pot IIRC).

I thought it was a done deal, but maybe not.

RB

Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2003, 08:11 pm »
I use the Tempest to drive my Stratos Dual Mono and would highly recommend this combo. I would describe the sound as clean with no harshness. Bass is fast, mids smooth. Dynamics are good(or maybe that's the Dual Mono)! And all against a velvety black quiet background. It is available with a volume only remote control featuring a motorized ALPS pot.

Call Klaus. He will give you an honest opinion of the Tempest in relation to the rest of your system.

DiNo

Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2003, 08:17 pm »
I've owned the Tempest for almost 2 years now and I have not swapped it out for another preamp yet.  I'm hook to this beast :-)

Go for it, you won't be dissappointed.

Wayno

Re: Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2003, 07:17 am »
Quote from: BWentler
Does anyone here have the Tempest pre-amp?  I would like some reviews and opinions of it.

Thanks

I ordered the dual mono amp and tempest pre a few weeks ago. You can get a remote option, vol. control only. I ordered mine with the remote. Also, you can get a 2nd output and h/t bypass if you like. I hope this helps. If you have any questions, talk to Klaus.

zzzone

Re: Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2003, 01:21 pm »
Quote from: Wayno
Quote from: BWentler

Thanks

I ordered the dual mono amp and tempest pre a few weeks ago. You can get a remote option, vol. control only. I ordered mine with the remote. Also, you can get a 2nd output and h/t bypass if you like. I hope this helps. If you have any questions, talk to Klaus.

I have the TEMPEST with the vol. remote...it has very limited range IMO but I still have found it usefull

Marbles

Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2003, 01:58 pm »
zzzone, I see you have the Lorelie's.  What do you think of them?

jcoat007

Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2003, 02:05 pm »
I have the TEMPEST with the vol. remote...it has very limited range IMO but I still have found it usefull

What has the limited range?  The Tempest or the remote?

zzzone

Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2003, 02:49 pm »
Quote from: jcoat007

What has the limited range?  The Tempest or the remote?

Sorry...I meant the remote has limited range....as for the Lorelei's...love them, very well balanced speaker, very musical,  fantastic finish and look great in the room.I have a large listening room and am considering getting an ACI Titan sub or two.....I want to try to bring down the ceiling. :o

Looking for that chest-caving type of bass. I am a little concerned about it though as I would need to use a Y-Connector  to add the subs. Don't want to take a chance on diminishing anything in these beautiful speakers (i guess i could always just get another pair of mono's for those too....hmmmm...would need to ask the ex-wife for a loan though)

I'm a virtual novice to this stuff for the most part so am still testing waters.

Captain Humble

Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2003, 11:35 am »
zzzone,
What finish did you choose for your Loreleis?
How big is your room?

Jeff

zzzone

Opinions of the Tempest
« Reply #14 on: 9 Mar 2003, 02:01 pm »
Quote from: Captain Humble
zzzone,
What finish did you choose for your Loreleis?
How big is your room?

Jeff

I think I drove Klaus nuts, I changed the finish 3 times but ended up getting the black ash...the rest of the components are also the basic black. Have a grey and black rack beside a big screen sony( 57") which is grey...looks amazing.

The room is 28X23.