Jared's 24" subwoofer twins

sfox7076

Re: Jared's 24" subwoofer twins
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2017, 05:53 am »
They won't be able to if they have two 24" to start.  The chimney will fall down...

NewAVphile

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2017, 02:53 pm »
I am the lucky owner of those subs. I bought the drivers (yes, Stereo Integrity BHS-24, custom made for lower Fs) and amplifiers (again, yes they are speakerpower sp1-4000) with the intention of building my own enclosures, however I ran out of time so I started looking for someone to build them for me. I'm honestly glad I ran out of time to build my own enclosures because I would not have come close to the amazing product built by Jim. On that note, Jim Salk is truly an amazing guy. He took a difficult project and exceeded my expectations in every way. His communication is great. His packaging of the subs was flawless (the packaging for each sub filled up every bit of a 48x42 pallet). The product is flawless. They're much more beautiful in person. They sound better than I hoped. They actually match my Funk subs in musicality and blow them out of the water for movies. The funks were extremely powerful for movies and never failed to impress me, but these subs are simply on another level. The first movie I watched after tuning the subs was Interstellar, and the rocket take-off scene shook my room to the point that I was worried about the drywall (seriously). The best part is the subs aren't even breaking a sweat. The drivers are so amazing that I have no high pass crossover and in fact boost the frequencies below 20hz and they refuse to bottom out even at 5hz at 100db. I will post a review of all of the stuff in my theater at some point a few months from now on AVS. Previous subs that I've owned have been: SVS PB-13U pair, ML Descent i pair, Funk Audio 18.0 pair and others that were unremarkable. These Salk subs blow all the others out of the water in every way except maybe a very small advantage in musicality going to the ML Descent i's.

FYI, I moved the subs by myself with the help of a furniture dolly, and yes it was challenging, even with years of powerlifting under my belt.

Dick Hertz

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2017, 05:02 pm »
Jim, could you build a pair for my Yugo?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2017, 05:20 pm »
Nice!

Now you just need to upgrade your mains  :wink:

I own the Funk 18.3 so I can relate somewhat.

Enjoy!
Anand.

stlrman

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2017, 06:03 pm »
How much for subwoofer?
 Driver? Amp? And  box ?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2017, 06:03 pm »
How much for subwoofer?
 Driver? Amp? And  box ?
See above.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2017, 06:25 pm »
Wow, great job Jim and mojave.  :thumb:   mojave, that's especially amazing!!! Beautiful woodworking! Looks like something I'd make, but better.  :wink:

I've been thinking about subs recently, was thinking two 21" in a force-canceling arrangement...  :green:   But that might be overkill as I'm not worried about covering movie effects, just music... maybe stick to 18s... 

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #27 on: 12 Jan 2017, 08:14 pm »
I am the lucky owner of those subs. I bought the drivers (yes, Stereo Integrity BHS-24, custom made for lower Fs) and amplifiers (again, yes they are speakerpower sp1-4000) with the intention of building my own enclosures, however I ran out of time so I started looking for someone to build them for me. I'm honestly glad I ran out of time to build my own enclosures because I would not have come close to the amazing product built by Jim. On that note, Jim Salk is truly an amazing guy. He took a difficult project and exceeded my expectations in every way. His communication is great. His packaging of the subs was flawless (the packaging for each sub filled up every bit of a 48x42 pallet). The product is flawless. They're much more beautiful in person. They sound better than I hoped. They actually match my Funk subs in musicality and blow them out of the water for movies. The funks were extremely powerful for movies and never failed to impress me, but these subs are simply on another level. The first movie I watched after tuning the subs was Interstellar, and the rocket take-off scene shook my room to the point that I was worried about the drywall (seriously). The best part is the subs aren't even breaking a sweat. The drivers are so amazing that I have no high pass crossover and in fact boost the frequencies below 20hz and they refuse to bottom out even at 5hz at 100db. I will post a review of all of the stuff in my theater at some point a few months from now on AVS. Previous subs that I've owned have been: SVS PB-13U pair, ML Descent i pair, Funk Audio 18.0 pair and others that were unremarkable. These Salk subs blow all the others out of the water in every way except maybe a very small advantage in musicality going to the ML Descent i's.

FYI, I moved the subs by myself with the help of a furniture dolly, and yes it was challenging, even with years of powerlifting under my belt.

Jared - your room looks fantastic. Can I be your neighbor? Just not next door, or next to that. Maybe just down the street a bit and around the corner.

mojave

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2017, 08:59 pm »
This is the best looking sub I've ever seen. Did you do a build thread for this?

Wow, great job Jim and mojave.  :thumb:   mojave, that's especially amazing!!! Beautiful woodworking! Looks like something I'd make, but better.  :wink:

All I said was "Here is a DIY sub. . . ."  :) Sorry if I gave the impression I built it because I didn't. AVS member PassingInterest built that sub. He has the most incredible build threads which show almost every detail of the build. Here is the thread for that subwoofer:  Bunker Buster Build.

Folsom

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2017, 10:37 pm »
I realize it might be a real pain, but if you got them off the floor a few inches you main gain some articulation.

They look amazing. I'll come over for movie night anytime. I mean... beaten up by bass night. Those are crazy.

DEP14

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2017, 11:22 am »
Damn on every level.

Honest question, I have to imagine you barely scratch the surface of what they are capable of output wise in your home?  Heck, I just have a SVS SB13 and I worry at times about drywall cracking and light fixtures coming out of the ceiling.

Is your room "purpose built"  i.e. built like a bomb shelter. 

Impressive subs to say the least!

Early B.

« Reply #31 on: 13 Jan 2017, 02:32 pm »
I realize it might be a real pain, but if you got them off the floor a few inches you main gain some articulation.

Agreed. I have four subs, and whenever I lift them off the floor, I get cleaner bass. If a sub sits directly on the floor, you're gonna hear part of the floor.

I have a question about speed. Based on sheer size alone, I can imagine that these subs would great for some forms of music, but not others such as jazz. On the other hand, the drivers may not be moving very much to produce prodigious bass at moderate listening levels. How does the bass sound with various types of music?   

jsalk

« Reply #32 on: 13 Jan 2017, 03:19 pm »
Just a quick note...we installed inserts on the bottoms of the cabinets so that if Jared wanted to use footers to raise the subs, he can.

- Jim

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #33 on: 13 Jan 2017, 03:28 pm »
My 15s can make the entire house "sing along" at higher SPLs. Decoupling bass cabs from the floor is extremely important imo, it reduces sympathetic resonances all over the house by quite a bit and makes the soundstage clearer and more defined. I use IsoAcoustics stands, they have some new footers out (Gaia series) but the subs are too big for them. The modular alum stands would probably work well as they are available in custom sizes. I could see a pair of those 24s causing damage to most homes for sure...  :lol:

stlrman

« Reply #34 on: 13 Jan 2017, 03:50 pm »
What size is your screen? What projector do you have? Thanks.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jan 2017, 04:37 pm »
Very nice system. What is your crossover point? Thanks

Rocket Ronny

NewAVphile

« Reply #36 on: 14 Jan 2017, 02:17 am »
Thank you everyone for the feedback and help! To answer some questions:
abd1: Yes, you can be my neighbor, but even if you were several houses down, my bass will still find its way to you. :D I'm lucky enough to have some space between neighbors, so my neighbors aren't really bothered by my bass.
Folsom: I have tried raising subs before and didn't get much improvement in the bass, however that was a different room in a different house so it might be different in this house, however, any higher and the subs would cover the screen, so I'll pass on raising the subs for now. I will say that the subs are extremely articulate already in my room, likely secondary to all the acoustic treatments.
DEP14: Most of the time, the sub drivers are barely moving and still destroying my ears. I imagine I have a ton of extra headroom... which is why I bought the beasts. The room was purpose-built, but not to the standards that it could have been.
Early B: The subs sound great at all listening volumes and all types of music. Their musicality actually surprised me because I was expecting them to sound a bit worse for music. They sound just as good as my old Funks, which are very musical. With that being said, I rarely listen to music with subs. My Sonus Faber Olympica III's have pretty good output to just below 40hz, and I enjoy the purity of the speakers by themselves.
stirman: my screen is 120" 1:2.35 with a JVC rs400u. I love the projector, my screen innovation screen is very good, but not exactly reference
Rocket_Ronny: I crossover to the mains at 90hz, the subwoofers sound great to over 150hz, but I like to run my subs a little hot, and crossover above 80-90 with a hot subwoofer sounds less natural to me.

Rooster19

« Reply #37 on: 14 Jan 2017, 12:45 pm »

looks awesome!

So are you going to try to integrate the subs to play with the 24's, or "just" run the 24's?

NewAVphile

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jan 2017, 01:47 am »
Rooster19: Thank you for the compliment! I thought about running the Funk subs nearfield, however once I played the 24's alone I realized I don't need nearfield  :thumb:   I'm actually currently trying to sell my old Funk subs on audiogon to let someone else enjoy them.