Pre-amp, amp your using with your Single Driver, informal poll

45triode

shindo claret pre to a yamamoto a08s via EVS Naked Ultimate Attenuators, because the shindo has way too much gain for the amp. there is a slight loss of dynamics and space though because of the attenuators. i tried substituting the shindo pre with only the attenuators and the music lost all its coherence and space and fun. my pre is to my opionion the heart of my system. alternative amp rogue audio atlas. great amp (like a buddy, never lets you down, always fun), but cannot keep up with the speed of the yamamoto (like a mistress, constantly surprising and very sensitive to rectifier choice, which then influences your power tube choice). non terminated diy boenicke audio cryo silver wire in cotton tubing to zu druids (great speakers, don´t let anyone tell you otherwise). i tried vintage klangfilm speaker cables, they sound very coherent (musical), but suffer a bit in the low and top end and you lose a bit of dynamics. interconnects vintage emt studio cable.

cheers, great forum, oliver

Christof

Re: Pre-amp, amp your using with your Single Driver, informal poll
« Reply #41 on: 12 May 2009, 09:55 pm »
Odyssey Candela to Symphonic Line RG....way, way too much power for the pair of little (2.5") Alpair5 drivers in a near field TL cabinet, I'm using about 1/10th of the real estate on my volume control  :lol: but they sound nice.  I'm thinking tubes and small....with a very minimal preamp...maybe even a TVC pre.

cg.

chrisby

« Reply #42 on: 13 May 2009, 03:25 pm »
Odyssey Candela to Symphonic Line RG....way, way too much power for the pair of little (2.5") Alpair5 drivers in a near field TL cabinet, I'm using about 1/10th of the real estate on my volume control  :lol: but they sound nice.  I'm thinking tubes and small....with a very minimal preamp...maybe even a TVC pre.

cg.

The Glow Mk II - EL84 SEP might be worth some consideration. 

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #43 on: 13 May 2009, 07:27 pm »
Decware CSP2 & SE84ZS driving Omega speakers. I've found the active preamp to make the low-powered amp to sound slightly more powerful & "fuller" than without. Since I live in small apartment & don't need a lot of of low bass & am content with 85dB peaks, I've found this combination works well.

dwell

« Reply #44 on: 24 May 2009, 02:54 am »
Using a Cayin ta-30 and a Hawthorne audio Spud. Also have a gainclone paired with a prometheus passive pre. I use them in different combination with my 126 Saburo design, horn shoppe horns, Hawthorne SI's.

Most enjoyed combinations are:
Spud with Saburo
Cayin with SI's

recstar24

« Reply #45 on: 24 May 2009, 06:04 am »
Moth si2a3/45H integrated into Hornshopped Horns.