Pre-amp, amp your using with your Single Driver, informal poll

tbabb

I've got a single driver speakers on order (Tekton 4.5 Open Baffle) I currently have a 6SN7 Tube Preamp (Wright Sound) and 2A3 SET Monoblocks (Welborne Moondogs) I was curious what preamp/amp combo your using with your Single Driver speakers. What you have found to work.  I understand the Tekton has 4 ohm rating.

Anyone using a tri-path solution?

http://www.tektondesign.com/ob45.htm

acresm22

I'm using a Music Reference 2.5 watt EM7 and a shunt-to-ground passive pre on my Atelier First Horns (with Foxtex FE126e drivers. I've also used an SI Super-T on the Ateliers...sounds good too, but I prefer the lil EM7.

rajacat

• Washington State
Heathkit W5m monoblocks (rebuilt/modded) are powering my Omega Hemp Bipoles. I'm using a Van Alstine T7 for the preamp.

-Roy

bprice2

I'm using a Mapletree pre that I recently purchased from Rajacat and a Red Wine Signature 30 amp with Omega Bipoles (4.5" hemp drivers).  Me likey... aa

strider

DIY Pass B1 buffer pre amp to a Trends TA-10.1 for my FE127e equipped Fonkens which are actively crossed over at 120hz. Just bought an F5 pcb which should hopefully take over for the Trends at some point.

jk@home

Soon to be Bottlehead S.E.X intergral with my Tektons 6.5 (UPS delivered it TODAY!)
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2009, 09:20 pm by jk@home »

mcgsxr

I am using a Bolder SB3 as my source/DAC/pre, direct into single ended EL84 amp (old Magnavox console pull).

nodiak

Scott, Vaughn, Decware EL84 amps w/out pre worked great for Fostex 127e, 167e, B200's, Hemp FR8, Coral 6B.
LM3875 gainclone a litttle too sterile/Cylon.
Tripath - Virtue Audio One working out very well with FR8's. Amp is pretty open, not as much air or as transparent as tubes (but more body, which I like). Smooth, no harshness, good detail, soundstage, lively, etc. Maybe a tube pre in the future.
Don 

chadh

Space Tech Labs QA-001 (octal tubed pre-amp) and a Music Reference EM7 (5w) amp.  I'm hoping to score myself a Music Reference C4 preamp to replace the Space Tech Labs unit.  These are employed with Omega Super 3 XRS speakers.

Chad

doorman

Zen Select, Transcendent Sound GG pre. Another Virtue-1 here too! With a (good) tube-pre driving it , it's a very satisfying combination.
As an aside, after listening to my 126's for over a year, and having recently switched to a pair with the "eNAbLed" treatment, the difference simply must be heard. You haven't really heard what the driver is capable of without the above cone treatment.
Don

rhing

Onix SP3 6L6GC P-P integrated tube amp or PassDIY B1 Buffer preamp driving modified Tripath TA2024 T-amp. This drives a pair of Fostex FX-120 drivers installed in Jordan-Watts bass reflex monitor enclosures. Source is modified Sony Playstation One Model SCPH-1001. With the exception of the Onix tube amp, everything else is DIY and sounds very musical.

I will be evaluating a Virtue 2 Tripath-based integrated amplifier and a Glow Amp (2009 edition) with my Fostex speakers within the next three months. If you haven't heard the Fostex FX-120 or its Alnico sibling the Fostex F-120A, you owe it to yourself to do so. They are worth the extra expense.

santacore

I'm running a Melody I2A3 integrated with my Omega Compact Hemps. Very tasty combination. One day I'll try the Omega alnico drivers......

nicksgem10s

DIY F5, Silver Rock TVC, driving custom Supravox 135LB full range drivers on open baffle.  Some of the most pure sound I have experienced.

bacobits1

Vista Audio i34 integrated into Brines FT1600II MLTL (Fostex FE167E). Source is a Raysonic 128 or a Basis 1400 and a EE Mini Max Phono Pre. HSU VTF3MKII Sub. All very satisfying.

I do like Tekon's offerings especially before the price hike. I have not heard them.

D

pardales

I use the Vaughn Audio Carina integrated. Absolutely love it!  :thumb:

vinylkid58

This drives a pair of Fostex FX-120 drivers installed in Jordan-Watts bass reflex monitor enclosures.

Please post a pic if you have one.

Thanks,
Jeff

doug s.

• makin' music
not sure my present system qualifies as true single driver, since my oris 150 horns w/fostex fe206e's are actually crossed over at ~250hz to 15" fostex pro audio drivers mounted into custom klipsch lascala bass bins.  these, in turn, are crossed over at ~80hz to a pair of vmps larger subs.  x-over/eq is the deqx pdc2.6.  preamp is modded melos ma333r.  amp driving the oris horns is cap-upgraded almarro a205a mkll.  a modded ase z-man tube buffer resides between the deqx's hi-pass outs and the almarro.  amp driving the 15" fostex's is a rawson gainclone.  amps driving the subs are electrocompaniet aw75dmb's...

i used to swap out speakers somewhat frequently, but it's been almost a year now, and i have some other really nice more "conventional" speakers, including a pair of piega p5 mkll ltd 's, and a pair of gemme audio tanto's.  i got the tanto's at about the same time as i got the horn set-up, and i have been too content w/the horns to even unpack them...    :o   aa

doug s.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Preamp is a diy 6N1P CC direct coupled to a 6N1P CF. Need to add CCS loads.

The rest? What day is it? Today it is Mark Audio CHR70 (in Aiko -- not the best match) driven by modified GF Rita. "Yesterday" it was Tysen with FF85eN driven by Rita, SDX7 helper with what started out as a dual mono Hitachi MOSFET amp (PLLXO). "Tomorrow" (ie when the new PS is done) Feastrex 5" FC + multiple SDX7eN (think Tysen on steroids).

A pair of monoblok RH84s are usually in play -- Rita is being pressed into duty as we soup it up. A GF A-34, Trends T20U, and a 3875 Gainclone are on backup.

Also sitting in the listening room are a set of uFonken + common SDX7 driven by modded Keiga 2.1 plate amp (really a super-computer speaker system), FonkenPrime with FE127eN (with or without fonkenWoof), 2 pair mFonken (one with stock FE127eN, 1 with FE127eN), and (not FRs) a set of Spendor BC1, and a set of 2-way Sonys (ones designed and executed by the engineering dept, not the marketing guys) ...

... and then there are more downstairs. diy is addictive, i warn you.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
I've got a single driver speakers on order (Tekton 4.5 Open Baffle)

Do let us know how they work...

dave

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
I use chip amp monoblocks (not Tripath) with a passive pre-amp from Channel Island Audio.  Unfortunately CIA no longer sells the chip amps (but there are a pair for sale here at audiocircle at a very good price).  Chip amps are supposed to synergize very well with single driver designs and provide typically 20 - 40 watts per channel.  Chip amps are supposed to have a sound between tube and solid state and are used in a very simple circuit (total of 9 components).  DIY audio has tons of information on them with most of the tweaking done to swap parts and minimizing the signal paths (many less than an inch).   CIA instead went for substantial construction with huge power supplies.

An even cheaper and more purist alternative to a passive pre-amp is in-line attenuators (that go between the interconnect from your source and the power amp).  This makes changing sources a PITA, but can provide extremely good sound.  Note that my CIA passive pre sounds better than using the digital volume control on my player.