New Full Ranger from Audiomagus

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: New Full Ranger from Audiomagus
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2008, 09:45 pm »
DavidS, are you working within a budget?

I haven't yet heard PHY... they do look interesting, I hope to get a chance to check them out someday.

Dave

Louis O

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2008, 11:42 pm »
All I know is the stories are true and know many who have been ripped off. I really doubt that this cone has hemp in it. It looks like Bamboo or Banana. All the original prototypes versions 1 and 2 were all started by me. The 4.5" is mine as well. I consulted on the parameters on this driver and went through  numerous whizzers and surrounds as well as changing the basket.

A brown soun has the patent on the pure hemp cone and Perry is not able to get it. He has been cut off a long time ago.

Please elaborate Duke.

Thanks,
Louis

jrebman

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2008, 11:59 pm »
Gentlemen, please -- I just don't think this is the appropriate place for this.  I mean no disrespect and I know it is an important issue, but would it be possible for you to take the discussion of PP and Hemp Acoustics to Industry Talk, or Audio Central (Sorry, Jim).

I realize that an argument can be made for having it here, but we have a guy here with a new product that he believes in, and until the allegations are proven there is potential to damage his business.  The issue is raised, a link for further investigation on the part of anybody who's curious is here, and we don't need to debate and replay this whole mess again.

Sorry, and Louis, you know I have nothing but respect and admiration for you, your products and your nintegrity, and I know Duke has a stellar reputation as well -- it's not about that.

Thanks for considering my request.

-- Jim

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2008, 12:13 am »
Jrebman, that sounds like a fair request to me.  If no such thread materializes elsewhere, my offer is open to anyone who contacts me.

Duke

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2008, 04:50 pm »
jim,

i respectfully disagree.  if a new guy w/a new product has his biz damaged because he chooses to deal w/certain suppliers that have major ethical issues, so be it.

ymmv,

doug s.

Gentlemen, please -- I just don't think this is the appropriate place for this.  I mean no disrespect and I know it is an important issue, but would it be possible for you to take the discussion of PP and Hemp Acoustics to Industry Talk, or Audio Central (Sorry, Jim).

I realize that an argument can be made for having it here, but we have a guy here with a new product that he believes in, and until the allegations are proven there is potential to damage his business.  The issue is raised, a link for further investigation on the part of anybody who's curious is here, and we don't need to debate and replay this whole mess again.

Sorry, and Louis, you know I have nothing but respect and admiration for you, your products and your nintegrity, and I know Duke has a stellar reputation as well -- it's not about that.

Thanks for considering my request.

-- Jim

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2008, 06:20 pm »
For the sake of potential risk to buyers (or even new manufacturers), I agree with doug s. that without judgements being made, its good and proper that disclosure is made.

mcgsxr

« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2008, 11:15 pm »
I don't think that jgrebman was suggesting that people not disclose or discuss the allegations, and experiences that are being shared - I believe he was simply suggesting (and I think it a valid one) that a thread specific to those discussions should be started - feel free to post a link here to that thread, but it is only fair to respect a guy who is running a business, and has a thread going here.

I have never heard his speakers, nor the drivers in question, nor have I had any dealings with any of the manufacturers under discussion here, and I DO value the information being shared.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #27 on: 2 Feb 2008, 03:58 am »
I don't think that jgrebman was suggesting that people not disclose or discuss the allegations, and experiences that are being shared - I believe he was simply suggesting (and I think it a valid one) that a thread specific to those discussions should be started - feel free to post a link here to that thread, but it is only fair to respect a guy who is running a business, and has a thread going here.

I have never heard his speakers, nor the drivers in question, nor have I had any dealings with any of the manufacturers under discussion here, and I DO value the information being shared.
first of all, the guy w/the thread going here isn't the guy running a business, but a potential customer.  as far as the guy running the business, i would really respect him if he comes out w/info that he has changed his source for drivers...  i appreciate the fact that audiomagus may not have known any of the info about the driver mfr, but the info is out there, & a business has to deal w/the consequences of its decisions...

ymmv,

doug s.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #28 on: 2 Feb 2008, 07:41 am »
if you acquired the cabs (they are nice looking) what kind of driver would you put in them.  Guess next step up the ladder is the Feastrex and PHYs of the world?

Demetri will house FE167, FE207, HA FR8c and probably Pioneer B20. The FE167 looks funny in it.

Cabinets should be designed specific for the driver... a monolith (generic name for this style of ML-V) can be made for any driver that works in an ML-V (many -- with starting dimensions -- are in the Metronome tables of the frugal-horn site).

When i saw the pictures of the proto-Little Grass Shack my 1st estimate of what retail would ned to be was close to $2.5k. Mike has priced them very aggressively.

dave

dave

DavidS

« Reply #29 on: 3 Feb 2008, 01:53 am »
I am reluctant to build another pair of speakers (once you build them they are pretty much yours for life) - any guesses or ballparks on what would it cost to build Demetris or Melevas or even have Dave build them for me.  Imagine I could use MDF or some kind of ply.  Trouble with bamboo is it sounds extremely fussy for home builder to get it right and sadly don't have great woodworking gear so hence attraction of these audiomagus full rangers for me (despite PP).  In small room don't want OB's or might try this although I have been attracted by phys and shoot the budget feastrex - but Demetris have nice wide baffle plus waf factor.  Waffle, waffle.

Scottmoose

« Reply #30 on: 3 Feb 2008, 11:17 am »
Well, if you do it yourself, couple of sheets of BB ply, plus whatever else is required.

If you wanted the cabinets custom-built from Dave & Co, then if you got in touch with them, they'll be able to give you a figure, based on whatever materials, finish etc you want: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/custom.html Chris's cabinet work, from all the pictures I've seen, is downright superb, so you'd certainly get a piece of furniture as well as a speaker out of it.

chrisby

« Reply #31 on: 4 Feb 2008, 06:16 pm »
DaveS - your profile says Victoria BC.  If this is correct, you're literally minutes away from a listening session to validate that any of the Planet10 design candidates are to your taste. 

PM myself or DaveD if you'd like to make such arrangements - your listening room and choice of music selections are best.

As for materials, whether you decide to build your own, or have them done more professionally, I'd suggest Baltic Birch plywood.  The material that Mike used for the LSG was carmelized bamboo plywood, and is absolutely gorgeous.  While it's not really all that much harder to work with than HDF or marine grade plywood, at approx 5x the cost of BB, it's nerve wracking to start cutting. 

I've made a total of 3 enclosures from the bleached (natural) version of this material, and aside from the visual appeal, when compared to the same enclosure in BB, there's something happening tone-wise that's hard to describe. 

chrisby

« Reply #32 on: 4 Feb 2008, 06:53 pm »

first of all, the guy w/the thread going here isn't the guy running a business, but a potential customer.  as far as the guy running the business, i would really respect him if he comes out w/info that he has changed his source for drivers...  i appreciate the fact that audiomagus may not have known any of the info about the driver mfr, but the info is out there, & a business has to deal w/the consequences of its decisions...

ymmv,

doug s.

Mark / Doug

No doubt that regardless of the outcome of any impending legal actions, eventual publication of results and fallout thereof, there will be some for whom this matter has already been decided.  It's too easy to forget that every story has at least 2 sides - absolute "right or wrong" only exist in fairy tales.

Mike has been publicly asked to justify a decision based on a combination of the performance of the loudspeaker driver in question, and his own moral compass - for which he should be respected.  He's stated his case - let's not debase ourselves by continuing to argue the point.  There's plenty of other forums for that.

If and when he revises this or any other product bearing his brand, let's hope it's for his own reasons, such as a specific request for customized version, new driver technologies, or other design improvements,  and not as abject surrender to this type of innuendo.  How much respect would any of us have for such a manufacturer?

There are already few enough specialty audio manufacturers willing to cater to the market segment that members of this type of forum comprise - let's not give them reason to retire from the game.