HD 800s or Focal Clears?

Wind Chaser

Re: HD 800s or Focal Clears?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Sep 2019, 06:32 pm »
Obviously comfort is a given. It is the first consideration. Nobody wants to wear anything uncomfortable.

But comfort, isn’t enough. Obviously we are very fussy about sound quality and presentation. I won’t sacrifice comfort for sound quality and or presentation, and I won’t sacrifice presentation for sound quality. The best sound quality is not a quality sound if it doesn’t include a great presentation in my opinion.   :shake:

So without hearing either the Focal Clear or the HD800, knowing what I know my vote goes easily to the HD800. Then it’s just a matter of finding the best possible amp to maximize their full potential. However if some isn’t as picky about presentation, then there are countless options both open and closed back to choose from. But from what I understand, the HD800 are in a class by themselves when it comes to presentation. The biggest most spacious presentation wins for me

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #21 on: 15 Sep 2019, 06:57 pm »
JohnR ..

Thanks for that information, I actually saw that and read the fine print:

"Valid September 1st, 2019 through September 30th, 2019"

I live near Moon Audio in Cary, I guess I could run over there and talke to the man! (:>)

I am hoping the Black Friday event might shed some good discounts as well on the HD800s and others...

Alex

wind chaser...I and probably like you and others have been in this game for many, many years...but its always fun to discuss with
birds of the same feathers!

THere is an overwhelming consensus that the HD6XX and 8XX pair very very well with the Bottlehead Crack and Manline....which I have both here in house.
The exisiting HD 600 are magical with the lower cost Crack.....as well with the Schitt Vahalla 2.

So my leaning is towards the higher impedance cans here....the Focals I think are 55 ohms....so its not a great match with these amps then..

But...

I have several other really good SS amps that would do the trick....

choices..
Alex

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: 15 Sep 2019, 07:20 pm »
I live near Moon Audio in Cary, I guess I could run over there and talke to the man! (:>)

Maybe you can listen to the headphones there?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2019, 07:32 pm »
Obviously comfort is a given. It is the first consideration. Nobody wants to wear anything uncomfortable.

But comfort, isn’t enough. Obviously we are very fussy about sound quality and presentation. I won’t sacrifice comfort for sound quality and or presentation, and I won’t sacrifice presentation for sound quality. The best sound quality is not a quality sound if it doesn’t include a great presentation in my opinion.   :shake:

So without hearing either the Focal Clear or the HD800, knowing what I know my vote goes easily to the HD800. Then it’s just a matter of finding the best possible amp to maximize their full potential. However if some isn’t as picky about presentation, then there are countless options both open and closed back to choose from. But from what I understand, the HD800 are in a class by themselves when it comes to presentation. The biggest most spacious presentation wins for me

They image big, but they are also unbearably bright, IME.  So there's no real substitute for trying things oneself, which is true of headphones even more than anything else, except maybe for speakers.  Case in point, others don't find the 800's too bright and absolutely love them  Personally I couldn't listen to them for more than about half an hour, great soundstage or not.   

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep 2019, 07:38 pm »
How many amps did you try with them? Source material? Do you fear / have an aversion to Eq?  :D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 15 Sep 2019, 07:42 pm »
I have never been over there but its about 14.1 miles and 22 min away according to google maps!

Good idea....I will give them a call and see what happens...

Alex

brooklyn

« Reply #26 on: 16 Sep 2019, 12:12 am »
Hi Alex,

I see your on the market for new Cans, as you know I’ve been through my own experiences the last few months.
Part of the fun for me is the chase as I try to purchase preowned gear for a fair price in excellent condition. If your
patient enough, something always comes along.. Of course, preowned is not for everybody.

I find a pair of headphones has to be comfortable first followed closely by sound quality. It’s a personal choice so it
comes down to getting exactly what you want out of the new cans.. For me, I decided to purchase what I wanted to
hear in my home with my gear. It’s not exactly the most cost effective way but I had some money stashed from when I sold
my audio system so I decided to go for the gold ring.. lol

I purchased the Sennheiser HD-800S headphones weeks ago and have been using them with a Darkvoice tube amp
with very good results.. I also use the Beyer’s T1.2’s with the same amp. Both headphone sound wonderful but the
differences between the two for me are, the Senn’s have a more spacious sound then the T1’s and they are more
comfortable but the Senn’s are a tad loose on my noggin were the Beyer’s have just the right amount of clamping
force. I have large Italian ears and the Senn’s ear cups don’t even touch them. Besides all the hype, that’s the main
reason I wanted to try them. I’m glad I did..

I also recently purchased the HiFiman Ananda’s which are also very comfortable on my head maybe even more then
the Senn’s. I’ve been wanting to upgrade the 400i’s for awhile so I picked them up recently on sale on the HiFiman
web store. I’m using them with an older Graham Slee Solo SS headphone amp, their still breaking in but already
sound better to me then the 400i’s. The most comfortable Can’s I ever owned was the AKG Q701’s, at times, I didn’t
even know I was wearing them.. The only problem was they were a little bass shy for me. I like to hear tight and
controlled bass. It doesn’t necessarily have to be very deep.

I find once you get into the upper stratosphere in price, detail comes along with it and for me it is a double edge
sword, meaning.. Recordings that sound decent before all of a sudden might sound like crap with more resolving headphones
but if the music is recorded well given the right amp and dac combo, you will be rewarded like never before..

Yep, price can certainly sway my decision one way or the other but I alway do my best to get exactly what I’m looking
for. I’m actually in the market right now for a new solid state amp.. I’m thinking about an amp from Violectric. They
don’t turn up on the used market to often but I’m on the hunt.

I hope you enjoy your hunt and your new headphones which ever you decide.. Keep us posted, I always enjoy reading
what you have to say.

That said I am sitting here reading all your posts with a $25 dollar pair of Koss KPH30i's and listening to
Jake Shimabukuru and Emmylou Harris and Mark Knopfler's All the Roadrunning andwondering why I am going to spend
$1500!! These little puppies are really stellar!!

Well Alex, we don't need $1500 headphones to listen to our favorite tune's but it sure is nice. lol

Jerry
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2019, 04:54 am by brooklyn »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 16 Sep 2019, 12:55 pm »
Jerry, thanks for the nice comments!

Since I was asked to play facilitator I have tried to wake up the members and get some increased traffic in this circle...its pretty quiet compared to many other audio sites for sure.
But its not about quantity more so quality and making new friends and "honestly" sharing your experiences good and bad.

I actually feel the same ways about the AKG701's I had 2 pair over the past years, and felt they were bass light but eveything else was pretty good here.

Buying used is fine here....but never had the patience to wait for a good deal for the item I was looking for.....been lucky catching good discounts over time for the stuff
I have purchased.

The Vioelectric name has a great reputation.

How do the Anandas sound in cmparison to the HD800s and T1's you have...the Anandas are on sale for $849.

Alex

santacore

« Reply #28 on: 16 Sep 2019, 02:16 pm »
I had a Violectric amp years ago. There was nothing memorable about it, but it's a workhorse solid state amp for sure. I enjoyed it for the few months I had it but moved on. If you can get one for a good price it's worth checking it out.

JohnR

« Reply #29 on: 16 Sep 2019, 02:59 pm »
I kinda agree, robust and well engineered but somehow uninteresting. I think times are a changing.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #30 on: 16 Sep 2019, 04:21 pm »
Since I was asked to play facilitator I have tried to wake up the members and get some increased traffic in this circle...its pretty quiet compared to many other audio sites for sure.

Alex, don’t worry about that, you are doing a great job!  :thumb:

Just because people aren’t posting doesn’t mean they aren’t reading and being influenced by what’s going on here. Case in point, I just ordered those cheap Koss Wonder Cans thanks to this circle ....and I would imagine many others, including many non members have done so too.  :thumb:

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #31 on: 16 Sep 2019, 06:24 pm »
Yes, And due to all the talk about the Focal Clears, I am definitely interested in a nice slightly used pair of Focal Utopia's.  :green:

I've already got a pair of HD800S's!

Go for it!

Gene

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 16 Sep 2019, 06:46 pm »
Listening right now with the T1's plugged into the Vahalla 2.....just a nice wonderful, warm sound to me, I am thinking that the Clears would be much like
this sound, based on the comments I have read...so if thats the case I dont want another set of similar cans.

Even though the bass seems abit light, I hate boomy....and any real warmth at the low end.

I favor soundstage, articulation, openess, accuracy and clarity...and then go hunting for those really great mastered recordings...I dont like the idea
of buying stuff to make things sound different but realize their is magic in certain pairings for sure...

When I use the HD600 after after a few minutes of burn in.....ny head gets straight and it becomes a great experienc. Then back the T1's and its a hey
look what your missing, the warmth, musicality etc....hmmm.

Then start swapping in and out amps, tubes its a real circus at times...

I have a really nice high end amp, that I like, but find I enjoy two of the lower cost amps more so than the high dollar one....

So one of the fears is spending $1500 and not really hearing or getting the delta in performance one would think.

That said there are a ton of comments that the bass on the 800s is just fine...and the soundstage is indeed one of the best....

hmmm

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 16 Sep 2019, 06:48 pm »
Goosepond!!

You have a 85mm F1.2L !!!!!

Drooling here...

:>)

Alex

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #34 on: 16 Sep 2019, 06:56 pm »
Hi Alex,

Uhhh, what!!!

Never mind. I forgot what I had in my photo gallery!  :thumb:

Gene

Freo-1

« Reply #35 on: 16 Sep 2019, 07:01 pm »
Yes, And due to all the talk about the Focal Clears, I am definitely interested in a nice slightly used pair of Focal Utopia's.  :green:

I've already got a pair of HD800S's!

Go for it!

Gene

If you get the Utopia cans, by all means, let us know what you think!

I'm getting a pair of Focal Elears to see if I like the house sound of Focal.   

JohnR

« Reply #36 on: 17 Sep 2019, 02:32 am »
Listening right now with the T1's plugged into the Vahalla 2.....just a nice wonderful, warm sound to me, I am thinking that the Clears would be much like
this sound, based on the comments I have read...so if thats the case I dont want another set of similar cans.

Hm, I don't think the Clears are anything like the T1s... although they were a few years apart and everything else is different. You really ought to go and have a listen to them.... JMHO :D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: 17 Sep 2019, 12:45 pm »
John I agree, I should go listen to them.

At Moon you have to call for an appointment, its not a real store front. Its packed away in a small commercial area, along side of many small
pricate companies selling there stuff...

Also I hate to go ther and listen then buy somewhere else because I can save a few hundred bucks...

The HD800's are $1699 + Sales Tax, online I can get them for $1444 +/- so my frugal mind is telling me $255 delta is a bit pricey for a listening session?

Its one of those things like trying on sports shoes in a retail store then buying on line because of lower price...then there is massdrop where you state
we can get stuff for less than mortgage like prices!!

Thats our system here in the states...

At least if I buy from a Amazon, etc I can return them if I dont like them, I guess I could do this for both sets and send one back...

Ethical?

Alex
 :D

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #38 on: 17 Sep 2019, 01:19 pm »
At least if I buy from a Amazon, etc I can return them if I dont like them, I guess I could do this for both sets and send one back...

Ethical?

Alex
 :D

Ethical? As long as you state the honest reason you're returning them, what would be unethical? Amazon offers the option, so go for it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #39 on: 17 Sep 2019, 04:20 pm »
Amazon is a good idea. If you are going to spend that much money on headphones, you’ll want to put them to the test in the comfort of your own home for at least a few days with as many different amps as possible. You could always order both the 800 and Clear cans on your credit card and return one (or both) and continue exploring other options...

In the end if you choose to save a few $$ by buying used, that’s your decision.  :thumb: