Silver v copper

guest2521

Silver v copper
« on: 28 Oct 2006, 08:24 am »
How much better are the silver transformers and how do they sound different?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: Silver v copper
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2006, 10:12 pm »
Hello!

This question comes up from time to time - well all the time actually! I am gathering text for a FAQ I'll add to my web page one of these days and copper vs silver will be near the top of the list I am sure.

First the TX102 and TX103 are quite different when it comes to copper vs silver comparisons. The general sonic character is not all that different but the tx103 step-ups show more difference between copper and silver than the tx102 volume controls do. Also in both cases I don't think it is safe to start with the assumption that the more expensive silver will be 'better' in all systems. 

There are bits and pieces about silver in the thread history but this thread has a decent description of them I think:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=28999.0

Here is a summary of the way I see it:

TX103 MC step-ups
- If the word budget comes up then forget silver exists - likely you'd be best to allocate the $$$ to some records or some other component.
- If your system is not robust in the low end then copper is far more likely to drop in and go.
- If the above 2 answers leave the door open for silvers then I would say go for it if you wanted to.

-----------------------------

TX102 Volume Controls
- Just like the tx103 above - If the word budget comes up then forget silver exists - likely you'd be best to allocate the $$$ to some records or some other component.
- If your system is a bit bright or aggressive in the top end then skip the silvers and go copper
- If the above 2 answers leave the door open for silvers then I would say go for it if you wanted to.

Please post any follow up questions and I'll do my best to answer them here.

Many Thanks!

John