What did you make for dinner lastnight?

some young guy

What did you make for dinner lastnight?
« on: 9 Jun 2008, 11:27 pm »

Semolina crusted halibut with English peas, zucchini, shallots, tomatoes, basmati rice and saffron-tarragom cream.

topround

Re: What did you make for dinner lastnight?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2008, 11:29 pm »
Man, I want to come to your house for dinner!! :drool:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2008, 11:31 pm »
No pictures...

Some very tasty delmonico steaks and corn on cob cooked on the grill.   :green:

The steaks were lightly marinated with a mixture of ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, fresh garlic, and crushed black pepper.

The corn was brushed with a virgin olive oil, sea salt, and garlic mixture.

George

maxwalrath

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2008, 11:32 pm »
Pasta salad:

Took a large Vidalia Onion, sauteed it with a bunch of olive oil and garlic and let it cool.  Cooked some Penne Rigate to al-dente, cooled the pasta down with cold water, and tossed the pasta with diced uncooked tomatoes and a yellow pepper, and salt and pepper.  Cooled it in the fridge for 45 minutes, served with goat cheese.

topround

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2008, 11:34 pm »
Max
Watch those tomatoes!

maxwalrath

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2008, 11:39 pm »
Max
Watch those tomatoes!

I like to live on the edge

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:28 am »
Max
Watch those tomatoes!

I like to live on the edge

I guess McDonald's doesn't...... :?

For dinner tonight...Pepper Steak (grilled steak, garlic, grilled bell pepper & onions, rice, soy sauce, hot sauce...and some mango pickle on the side.)

giantsteps

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:31 am »
Max
Watch those tomatoes!

Stick to vine tomatoes Dr. Prat. :thumb:

Frank

giantsteps

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:40 am »

I had barbequed tri-tip and filet mignon, sweet potato fries, potatoes and a salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, grapefruit and orange peppers...sauce on the side of maple syrup, mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Watermelon for desert.

Frank

mca

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:51 am »

Can you tell I'm single :lol:

Turnandcough

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2008, 01:26 am »
Spaghettini sautéed with olive oil(Frantoio Valtenesi brand for good a quality/price ratio), slivered garlic(like Pauli in Goodfellas) and authentic Merguez sausages and garnished with chopped Italian parsley.

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2008, 01:55 am »
I kept it simple with a roasted chicken, baked potatoes, and fresh steamed broccoli.

The secret to a great roasted chicken is:

1.) The chicken, I only buy fresh, not frozen birds from a local butcher that keeps them on ice.

2.) The temperature, 450 degrees.

Pat dry the chicken and grease it up with a little canola oil because olive oil will start smoking at this temperature.
Liberally sprinkle the inside and outside with a salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne mix.
Pop it into a hot oven for an hour.
The outside is crispy, the inside is very tender and juicy.
Yum.

spudco

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:19 pm »
With the heatwave here, we kept dinner simple last night. 

The star of the evening was the season's first blueberry pie topped with ice cream.  It sure worked on my wife.

I changes my recipe this time after reading the current issue of "Cooks Illustrated" (I love this pub - very practical, well tested recipes and great gear and ingredient evaluations).  The recommended addition of grated granny smith apple is a real winner.  The texture of the pie filling is wonderful.  I recommend anyone with access to 6 cups of berries give this recipe a try!

Blueberries are the Bomb!

We have 2 patches of blueberry plants with a total of 44 plants of 7 varieties.  I usually get about 1-2 gallons every 2-3 days.  here in NC, they start producting around the first of June and some still ripen thru the end of July.  Blueberries are very easy to grow, live for 20+ years and I recommend them to any homeowner with a little space.  Fresh blueberries are also great gifts to family, friends and neighbors.

Although we use lots of our berries fresh - at breakfast, in salads, just munching... - they are really easy to preserve for off season use.  We simply pick ours, put them into heavy duty 1 gallon freezer bags with date label and freeze.  The last a year and can be used frozen or thawed. 

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:23 pm »
Lamb leg roast with potatoes and pumpkin, rubbed w/ rosemary and garlic. Broccoli and corn in the steamer. Had a couple of friends over. Simple but effective, about all I can do really :)

Canyoneagle

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:46 pm »
I tenderized (with a piercing tool) and marinated some organic chicken breasts in a mixture of lime juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and dried/pulverized chipotle chilies, then put them on the grill (with one of those mini-smokers filled with soaked mesquite chips).
Then I made a nice salad with organic spring mix, orange bell peppers, red onion, celery and vintage cheddar cheese.

Once the chicken was done, I sliced it and let it cool, added it to the salad with some chipotle ranch dressing - voila!  Fantastic summertime meal.

Of course, this was accompanied by Dos Equis amber and lime.  :wink:

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2008, 04:13 pm »
Chicken Enchilada's made with leftover BBQ chicken, onions, green bell pepper & zucchini.

giantsteps

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2008, 04:18 pm »

I had barbequed tri-tip and filet mignon, sweet potato fries, potatoes and a salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, grapefruit and orange peppers...sauce on the side of maple syrup, mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Watermelon for desert.

Frank

Leftovers! :thumb:

Frank

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2008, 06:30 pm »
Cheeseburgers on the grill and not the pan :lol: w/grilled corn on the cob, russet potato chips, red potato salad and for dessert nonsugar cheery jello w/fruit cocktail & no sugar Cool Whip. Cheeseburgers had lettuce, sweet onion, hot sweet pepper relish and catsup on a toasted bun. And let's not forget the Crystal Light. Tonite will be a repeat of last nite.  :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

Bemopti123

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jun 2008, 08:32 pm »
Squid stir fry seasoned with spicy red bean pepper paste, along with sesame oil, sugar and sesame seeds (veggies included were, thinly sliced carrots, sweet red bell pepper as well as scallions.)  This was accompanied with regular steamed riced mixed with wild black rice. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jun 2008, 09:03 pm »
Squid stir fry seasoned with spicy red bean pepper paste, along with sesame oil, sugar and sesame seeds (veggies included were, thinly sliced carrots, sweet red bell pepper as well as scallions.)  This was accompanied with regular steamed riced mixed with wild black rice. 
Did you actually make that or was it restruant fare? If you did yourself, I'm big on stirfry myself and use the bean paste also but squid is totally new. Does this come precut or what? How is the squid prepared? Other than fried calamari rings, I've never had it any other way myself so i'd be interested in how the squid was cut & cooked. I've used stirfry in any different ways with all types of fish, shellfish & meats,,, I'd like to add squid, if it's not too rubbery that is.  :thumb: Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin