RAW Acoustics HT3 floorstanding speakers

audiojerry

« on: 8 Jan 2006, 01:04 am »
I've been having a great time auditionng the HT3. Last night I spent about four hours with them listening to various types of music, and at the conclusion, I had no sense of listening fatigue. That says a lot about my overall evaluation of the HT3's. When I can listen for hours, it means I must be enjoying it, which means I must think they are pretty good.

The HT3 does nothing to offend, and lots to impress. It's a very smooth soundng speaker with clean highs and shockingly deep bass for a speaker that is essentially a floor standing monitor. When you consider its depth and width, it takes up less space than a small monitor on stands. But it plays so much larger than a monitor. It didn't have unlimited bottom end or dynamic range, but it played plenty loud for me, and I never felt short changed in those areas.

The bass is tight and articulate, but in my room I got the best results with the side firing woofers facing each other. Man, those small bass drivers are impressive!  

I like to listen to my speakers nearfield with speakers the 6-7' from my head and 5' apart.
The advantages are that you get more of the direct signal with less interference from sidewall reflections. You also don't need to turn the volume up as high, which means less distortion. But to listen this way the drivers must work extremely well together to achieve a coherent sound. That's how I listen to my ProAc's, and the HT3's were ideal in this setup. If you haven't done near field listening, you should really give it a shot with the
HT3.

Here's a picture from just behind where my head would be when sitting down.  

The photo is kind of dark. I was unsuccesfully trying to depict how I listen in a darkend room, but I had to adjust the contrast of the photo so the speakers could be seen better.
In reality, the front of the room is darker than the back of the room, leaving the speakers in almost complete darkness.  The HT3's are about 5' apart and 5' from my head. In my room there is about 10' of open space behind the speakers, and when sitting like this in the near field the speakers are pretty much out of direct line of sight, which helps to make them seem to disappear when listening. You get all this wonderful sound in front of you, with a great sense of depth, and the physical presence of the speakers pretty much out of the equation.  

My evaluation is based on how they compared to my ProAc Response 2.5 floorstanders.
Here's a picture of each side by side:

You can see that they are similar in stature. The ProAc's are 42” tall and the HT3's are 40”, but the ProAc's are on a base with spikes, which raises them about 2”. The HT3 tweeter is a ribbon, which sounds very different from the ProAc. Which one is better is a matter of preference, I guess. Both have excellent high frequency extension, and both are  clean and clear, but they do not sound the same. The midrange driver, of course contributes to the sonic character of the HT3. The ProAc does not have a separate midrange driver. In the bass region, both are very similar and both are excellent. Overall, I'd give the nod to the ProAc. The HT3 had a slight tendency to resonate in the bass in my room. The biggest difference was in the midrange, where the ProAc excels, and the most noticeable outcome is in vocals. With the HT3, vocalists sound less chesty.

The HT3 was excellent at reproducing guitar and other strings, and brass instruments. I really enjoyed listening to Otmar Liebert and his acoustic guitar – very articulate and convincing.

And the HT3 excelled at symphonic music, which is how I ended up doing practically all of my listening once I was done with the evaluation process. I just decided to stop working and start enjoying. One of the recordings I listened to was the Best of Rachmaninoff on Telarc. Track #12, Finale from his Piano Concerto #3 in D Minor, performed by Lang Lang was electrifying, and Track #9, Adante from Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini was inspirational.

Overall, I was very impressed with the HT3, and believe it is an excellent value. I was comparing to my $4500 ProAc, after all.

Some notes:
For such a small floorstander, they can play very loudly.
They are very smooth and non fatiguing.
They do seem to require lots of power. At the same volume setting as my ProAc, they played much quieter.
The wrap around maple veneer is very attractive, but the seam at the back is not, well seamless.    
Excellent bass
The cabinets are very solid and feel very well braced. I challengd the HT3 with a track from the Burmester Test CD 3, track #10 of the Chinese Drums. The bass rattled my walls but not the speakers – very impressive.

If this seems like a speaker that might interest you, I strongly encourage you to get on the audition list on the RAW forum.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2006, 01:32 am »
Jerry,

Nice review.

I can't see your pictures though... :cry:

George

audiojerry

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2006, 01:58 am »
Thanks, Zybar.
Sorry about the hidden photos.
Are they showing now?

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2006, 02:08 am »
Quote from: audiojerry
Thanks, Zybar.
Sorry about the hidden photos.
Are they showing now?

I seez 'em.

What drivers are in the proacs?

audiojerry

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2006, 07:27 am »
Quote from: MaxCast

I seez 'em.
What drivers are in the proacs?

The ProAc uses a ScanSpeak  7" midbass, which is the one that was frequently used in many popular high end lines including Wilson, Merlin VSM's, Vienna Acoustics, and Wilson Benesch. It's a fantastic sounding and performing driver when implemented approriatly. It was developed in the late '90's. I don't know if it's still popularly used. If not, I wonder what has replaced it.

The tweeter is a Vifa, I believe, supposedly modified for ProAc. I'll bet the only modification was the stamping of the "ProAc" label on the tweeter faceplate.   :lol:

Steve

No pictures
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2006, 06:55 pm »
Jerry, the links are Xd so I cannot see anything. Thought I would let you know.

audiojerry

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2006, 10:35 pm »
I don't know what's going on. :?
 Is it ok now?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2006, 11:15 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
I don't know what's going on. :?
 Is it ok now?
I see the photo's....thanks Jerry !! :wink:

mca

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2006, 11:55 pm »
The HT3 looks like it could use a base like the ProAc has. Is it stable or tippy?

audiojerry

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2006, 02:20 am »
Quote from: mca
The HT3 looks like it could use a base like the ProAc has. Is it stable or tippy?

I agree, they do stand up by themselves reasonably well, but they are not as stable as I'd like them to be. I think Al said he might be working on bases. He is now building them to use spikes, which should help..

markC

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2006, 03:22 am »
I would think that spikes are must with a slim/tall design if you are sitting them on carpet. Not only for stability, but I prefer the sound of my slim/tall speaks spiked to the floor.

audiojerry

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2006, 04:15 am »
I should have mentioned that I am auditioning the original HT3, not the latest version with Sonicaps and Mills resistors.
Yes, the price goes up, but does the peformance go up to? I'll bet it does.

RAW

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2006, 05:07 am »
For those who never got a low down on the gear that was used here is the list.
Speakers: ProAc Response 2.5 ($4500/pr)
Amp: Audio Research VT200 - 200wpc vacuum tube  
Preamp: SAS Audio Lab 10A - vacuum tube
Transport: Classe CDT-1
DAC: Modwright modified P3A with custom Monolithic power supply
Analog: Rega Planar 25, Dynavector cartridge, Lehman Black Cube mk 2 with upgraded power supply.  
Cabling: Ridge Street Audio

Jerry
Yes we have the Sonicap upgrade now in the HT series.
The Sonicap caps along with Mills resistors now in the HT series offers a very good value, using the Sonicap now as the only way to offer the HT series.

Yes the Sonicap just brings that more detail out of the mids, more than you can even think is possible.By just changing the caps from Solen to Sonicap.

On the HT3 we use Sonicaps plus bypass caps on the tweeter network, a Sonicap stacked on top of Solen caps for the mid plus a Sonicap bypass cap. We did this to get more detail out of the mid yet keeping the cost down.
Adding only Sonicap caps on the mid network is a very costly upgrade and we now have a very good mid detail yet not using a costly midrange cap stack.

For the slim floor stander we have never offered basses for them all due to the price point we have offered them.
But we have added basses to them as of January 1, 2006 along with spikes.
Along with the Spikes we will be offering the new Soundfusion spikes as an option.
http://www.soundfusion.ca/VibeBuster8.htm
After using them for awhile I see them as a very good option to the HT3 but a standard on the HT8.

Veneer on the HT3 demo pair.
Well the Maple veneer is a very exotic veneer that in 35yrs of the veneer business our supplier has never seen this veneer.
We have done the demo pair in a finish that is a satin sheen to keep any minor damage done from users to a min plus, with the lighter veneer and not a higher sheen in the finish from one stop to the next they will look good even with minor scratches.
As well yes in veneer seam in the back is ok not the best but as I said these are a demo pair and as we have already had some one take them apart this is why we have sent out a pair as they are. Those looking under all the nicks and corners for blemished cabinets these are the demo pair of HT3.
You will get a idea of the finished product as well as the Acoustical product.

And those asking if we are doing another demo pair of HT3 pair with the Sonicaps not at this time.
Just think of this the review pair has Solen caps and Sonicaps just add more to them.

Thanks again to Jerry for the review and look forward to getting the pair onto the next person for review.