Hello / Intro

Robrien20

Hello / Intro
« on: 31 Mar 2021, 01:41 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I believe I am on the younger side of this forum in my early 20s. I received my BS in Computer Science a couple of years ago, but have always been interested in all types of engineering. Early on into quarantine I decided I needed a new set of speakers and wasn’t satisfied by the UE Megabooms other guys my age are using.

I put together an MTM kit from Parts Express and fell in love! Never before had my playlists been played on any sort of “real” loudspeaker setup, though a budget one at that. Work from home with these babies has been great - they’re on at just about all waking hours so long as I’m not on a zoom call. I also started collecting spare audio equipment from family members, the highlight of which was a Revox B791 turntable (and a solid collection of vinyl to go with it).

Space is low in my apartment which has held me back from any new builds. I’ve been researching through forums, old articles, Facebook groups, google, etc, and think I would like to do a set of horn speakers next. The old Altec multicell horns caught my eye and got me digging, but I really fell in love with the Yuichi Arai 290 / 480 horns. My current apartment is far too small for any sort of horn setup right now, but I enjoy the brainstorming/planning process. I have a CNC shop I am friendly with, which could hopefully help me with construction some day.

I also haven’t heard Arai 290s before. Anyone know where I can find some good horns to listen to in New York City? Or any advice on their most visually, technically, and sonically appealing horn systems that won’t break the bank?

Thanks for having me

-Rob

kingcrowing

Re: Hello / Intro
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2021, 04:39 pm »
Welcome from a fellow newbie!

Have you looked into ribbon speakers? I feel like they may be a good fit for a small apartment compared to horns.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2021, 05:22 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Rob   :thumb:

Keywestjimmy

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2021, 12:45 am »
I think for $500 you'd be hard pressed to get better sound than some Klipsch RP-600 horn speakers. I see others are thinking about the bigger horns. That said, Monitor Audio ribbon speakers are nice in smaller spaces.
Jim

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2021, 03:22 am »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2021, 05:40 am »
I also haven’t heard Arai 290s before. Anyone know where I can find some good horns to listen to in New York City? Or any advice on their most visually, technically, and sonically appealing horn systems that won’t break the bank?

Thanks for having me

-Rob
Welcome Rob, you could PM our AC fellow Rollo from NYC for some guidance.
I dont like horns due the beaming effect and duck voice but they are a solution to hi sensitivity 2 ways speakers as used by klipsch what allow use a small tube amp, not a neglegible feature.