Recommendation for Barber Adagio for Strings- String Quartet version

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I've got too many versions of this piece, but I heard a gorgeous rendition of the old standard, Barber's Adagio for String on the radio... played so slowly and mournfully.  But key was the fact that it was a string quartet version, a concert by the St. Louis Quartet. Each instrument cried.  Not being able to find a recording at Discogs, I thought I'd ask here for a recommendation for a slow paced string quartet recording.  Vinyl preferably.

Scott F.

Hi Scott

I haven't heard the quartet version you mention. I've only got the Leonard Slatkin version (St Louis SO).

BUT, it makes me wonder if the quartet doing this version might be the Arianna String Quartet. They too are based out of St Louis.
http://www.ariannaquartet.com/index.html

I don't see it listed on there Media page but I believe they have more that out of print now.

Just a thought...

S Clark

Apparently this is a local string quartet that plays wedding, parties, etc.   I was making the drive into town last night and heard them on NPR.   There are a few string quartet versions on youtube, none that are quite as moving. 

S Clark

Well, I've got a copy by the Borodin Quartet from 1961 coming.  It's a Russian pressing (not usually my favorite) on the...
 Mezhdunarodnaya Kniga label    :dunno:  It's kinda of shot in the dark, but Russian musicians of the early 60's tended to be amazingly good.  There are a few videos of them on Youtube.

S Clark

This record came in today, but had been used as a frisbee by the post office. :duh:  A chunk of the edge had been crushed an broken about 3/4" into the first track.  Fortunately, the famous Adagio section was the second track... just have to be careful where you cue the record. 
Turns out this a pre Melodiya label, a bit light on bass, but clear as a mountain stream.  Sadly, not the tempo and pacing I was hoping for, but still a nice version. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Melodiya usually recorded in analog tape and CDs have good SQ, better than Hungaroton and better than DG digital, they worth to buy in CD or LP.