Got a Pair of REL S/812

A_shah

Got a Pair of REL S/812
« on: 14 Jun 2020, 06:57 am »
OK  I don't care for Subwoofers when it comes to my 2 channel listening which is about 70% of my listening habit another 30% Home theater I had a very cable HSU 15 Subwoofer VTF MK2 with my HT system. after doing some research I decided to try out some REL Sub woofer starting with the a pair of T/9i & concluded I needed something more than that to supplement my Poseidon Speakers talked to REL my heart was set on getting a REL GI Mark 11 but the good people at REL advised instead of going with a single G1 ( no way could I have two of those in my living room ) suggested try the S/812 so got a pair of these beauties, they go down  to 19Hz  I have set them at 24HZ very happy with the choice as they have two separate inputs and are tunable separately both for music( high Level connection to the mono amps ) as well as home theater via the LFE .
The RELs are pretty unique- eye candy :P  it is kind of hard to describe them but definitely very musical   :popcorn:

Phil A

Re: Got a Pair of REL S/812
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2020, 12:51 pm »
Congrats - been using Rel subs in my main system and secondary systems for 18+ years.  I still have two old Storm IIIs in the (integrated AV) main system for 2-channel and a Power Sound Audio for HT duties.  At some point, mine will need to be replaced.  Can''t complain with the use I've gotten out of them.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2020, 01:05 pm »
Good morning, Ashgar!  :)

Congratulations on your procurement of Rel subs. I look forward to reading your thoughts on how the sound in your room. I’ve read about Rel subs for years, but have yet to actually hear one.

Michael

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2020, 05:05 pm »
Hi Ashgar,

Glad you like your new S/812's. Nice unboxing photos, REL's packaging is the best, it is like Russian Matryoshka dolls, I'll bet they have zero shipping damage.

Hopefully there will be more updates regarding how they sound with music and movies. I like the way REL subs disappear, they blend so seamlessly with the main speakers that every few weeks I have to kneel down and put my ear to the G2 to see if it is on or play some music with a big bass synth track.

Wayne

A_shah

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2020, 06:02 am »
Michael,
the REL's are pretty unique in a sense that you can use both a separate HT system and 2 channel via Hi level connections and separate  controls What bugs me most about them is most money seems to be spent :scratch: on High gloss Lacquer paint 12 coats and aesthetic- REL could easily bring the cost on these down  by using 5 coats and do away with the fancy handles.

it is interesting when listening to two channel music you don't realize how good & musical they are ! until you shut them off ! Big sound stage blend very well with the Big D Poseidon's - I have set the crossovers at around 24HZ seem to blend seamlessly . The Poseidon's  are  are in the process of  being packed to go for their final upgrades soon , they should have been sent to Lou  Mid -May but had trouble finding some one to help me pack them , finally talked to my son who has promised to help do that , they should be out by the end of next week if not before  I hopefully   :thumb:

Asghar

A_shah

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2020, 06:15 am »
Michael,
the REL's are pretty unique in a sense that you can use both a separate HT system and 2 channel via Hi level connections and separate  controls What bugs me most about them is most money seems to be spent :scratch: on High gloss Lacquer paint 12 coats and aesthetic- REL could easily bring the cost on these down  by using 5 coats and do away with the fancy handles.

it is interesting when listening to two channel music you don't realize how good & musical they are ! until you shut them off ! Big sound stage blend very well with the Big D Poseidon's - I have set the crossovers at around 24HZ seem to blend seamlessly . The Poseidon's  are  are in the process of  being packed to go for their final upgrades soon , they should have been sent to Lou  Mid -May but had trouble finding some one to help me pack them , finally talked to my son who has promised to help do that , they should be out by the end of next week if not before  I hopefully   :thumb:

Asghar

Wayne
Thanks :thumb: have the same experience! have to shut them off and listen to make sure they are still working they blend so well , although I still am having trouble trying to find a sweet spot for them sometimes I move them to the corners and the other times I move them next to the speakers , at "your suggestion" I had decided to get a G-1 MK II but I have mono amps which necessitated that I have two of them although I was getting a very good deal from a dealer in Chicago for a pair of them but it would have been impossible to fit both in my living room space , plus both the dealer & the good people at  REL recommended a pair of  S/510  or the S/812 so I just opted to go for the S/812 Where have you placed your G-1 for music listening ?

Asghar

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2020, 02:35 pm »

Where have you placed your G-1 for music listening ?

Asghar
My listening space is 14'w x 17'w so everything is piled up at the front wall. A G1 would be a tight squeeze so I found a used G2 that fits perfectly. The G2 is used for movies too, I flip a few switches, turn on the amp stack and the stereo transforms into a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos home theater.

A_shah

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2020, 05:39 am »
Asghar
My listening space is 14'w x 17'w so everything is piled up at the front wall. A G1 would be a tight squeeze so I found a used G2 that fits perfectly. The G2 is used for movies too, I flip a few switches, turn on the amp stack and the stereo transforms into a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos home theater.

Wayne

that is a very nice set up I guess you are using the blanket over the TV to avoid reflection points when you listen to the music ? I just got my self a few GIK acoustic panels and than used the UMIK-1 mike with REW,for room correction and the measured my speaker Low end extension this allowed me to take the guess work out and set correct low pass filter frequency & slope for a smoother transition as I am focusing on the 15- 28 HZ octave   Also  recently picked up a Denon AVR X4500H as I was not getting a true 5.1 via my OPPO 205 & Wyred4Sound MC7150 amp. this is a big upgrade for me with the Denon using the audyssey multEQ 32 room correction software use two reflecting Dolby speakers on my front Kef LS 50 speakers for Dolby effect satisfied for now with my theater experience !

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2020, 04:27 pm »
I guess you are using the blanket over the TV to avoid reflection points when you listen to the music ?

Yes, without the blanket the sound is brighter. With the blanket the sound is more relaxed, focused and natural.

I have been surprised that a lot of music has sub-bass content, like Easter eggs waiting to be discovered.

spacedghost

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2020, 02:14 pm »
Morning

Any updates on the integration into your system?   Waiting on mine to be delivered, so I’ll just live vicariously through you until then...  :D

Shaun

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2020, 04:25 am »
Wayne

that is a very nice set up I guess you are using the blanket over the TV to avoid reflection points when you listen to the music ? I just got my self a few GIK acoustic panels and than used the UMIK-1 mike with REW,for room correction and the measured my speaker Low end extension this allowed me to take the guess work out and set correct low pass filter frequency & slope for a smoother transition as I am focusing on the 15- 28 HZ octave   Also  recently picked up a Denon AVR X4500H as I was not getting a true 5.1 via my OPPO 205 & Wyred4Sound MC7150 amp. this is a big upgrade for me with the Denon using the audyssey multEQ 32 room correction software use two reflecting Dolby speakers on my front Kef LS 50 speakers for Dolby effect satisfied for now with my theater experience !

That's a very sexy setup! :thumb: