Mono. Have you guys tried this?

guf

Mono. Have you guys tried this?
« on: 23 Apr 2021, 11:22 pm »
WOW.

incredible.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Mono. Have you guys tried this?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2021, 11:47 pm »
I glad discovered many mono jazz SACDs sound great, very deep soundstage.
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/7043

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2021, 03:43 am »
WOW.

incredible.
Welcome to the party, even if you're a bit late.  Mono has some real attributes- less saturation on the master tape, deep soundstage, better dynamics to mention a few.  I've had a mono cartridge on a mono only turntable for many years, and probably 1/4 of my vinyl collection is mono. The world has been collecting mono jazz for decades, mono classical not so much- still cheap.  I find that mono classical can be very effective in creating a realistic reproduction of a performance... maybe a bit further back in the concert hall where hall ambience has become more of an influence on the sound.   

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2021, 10:40 am »
When I read the title to the thread I had a question, thanks for answering it.  I don't have a mono set up, I might have some garage sale mono recordings, I could check, but I've always thought what for? 
Not sure I want to dive down another audio rabbit hole, but at least I have a good reason to now if I would be so inclined.  So I assume you need a mono cartridge, do you need a mono phono pre for full effect?

S Clark

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2021, 03:47 pm »
You do need a mono cartridge to get the most out of your mono lps.  But it doesn't have to be mega bucks.  I use a Denon DL102 which sell new for $250.  The post on the cartridge are extra long to allow for two wires to slide on... so you can use an arm wired for stereo and a stereo preamp. 
Way further down the rabbit hole are the Miyajima cartridges for a couple of grand. 
But the reward is lower noise and greater sense of depth.  I will take a chance on mono lps that look pretty rough- VG to VG-, something I'd never bother with in stereo.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2021, 03:48 pm »
So I assume you need a mono cartridge, do you need a mono phono pre for full effect?
I think no, I mean say vintage mono jazz recordings have good sound in a Stereo system aka two channel/speakers, in a mono system with just one speaker the sound may be disappointing IMO.

S Clark

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2021, 04:04 pm »
We all have opinions, but my experience is that mono sounds better with a mono cartridge, playing through either one speaker or two. 

guf

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2021, 04:38 pm »
yeah, I'm always late to the game. late to vinyl and late to mono. I just got a mono cart and I'm playing through 2 speakers and its unbelievable.  Its only been a few days but it makes it hard to listen to stereo. The depth and power is amazing. the reissues are great, as expected but even some random original jazz records are incredible. Makes me wonder why stereo mixes took over. I want, I need more monos!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2021, 05:44 pm »

GeneS

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2021, 06:20 pm »
I dig mono, especially recordings that were done in mono originally.
Having a mono cartridge is definitely the best way to do it, but until I can have two turntables set up (one for stereo, one for mono) I “cheat” by using a phono pre that has a mono button. If I understand it correctly, basically the mono button “sums” the stereo cartridge into one. Again, not ideal, but it gets me by for now. There are several such phono pre-amps with that feature.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2021, 06:47 pm »
You do need a mono cartridge to get the most out of your mono lps.  But it doesn't have to be mega bucks.  I use a Denon DL102 which sell new for $250.  The post on the cartridge are extra long to allow for two wires to slide on... so you can use an arm wired for stereo and a stereo preamp. 
Way further down the rabbit hole are the Miyajima cartridges for a couple of grand. 
But the reward is lower noise and greater sense of depth.  I will take a chance on mono lps that look pretty rough- VG to VG-, something I'd never bother with in stereo.

Excellent advice. Grado makes a $100 Mono as well. Prefer the Miyajima but big bucks. A world of difference to be had over using a stereo cart.

charles