Mrs. Ninja's RMAF 2010 Write Up Part 1

Mrs. Ninja

• Industry Participant
Re: Mrs. Ninja's RMAF 2010 Write Up Part 1
« Reply #20 on: 21 Oct 2010, 08:35 pm »
What do you know of how much or little I was drinking? Was I being followed? Has someone said something? I inferred a slight amount of consumption at the end of business each day. Mama- no 1-2 Beers (or scotches in my case) is fine while on vacation at a audio show. If I drank like that at home even less would get done than now.

Mrs. Ninja

Too bad I didn't get to meet you sooner I probably would have been able to find more alcohol to blur away the craziness of the day LOL. Then again Gary, Trung and the rest of the crew in GR Research already seem to have the impression that I'm a raging alcoholic LOL (c'mon guys, 1-2 beers a night is nothing compared to what Mrs. Ninja consumed during the show  :wink: )

Mrs. Ninja

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 21 Oct 2010, 08:39 pm »
See all that is over the 101 syllabus head. More basic and more fun for the ladies.

including amps and clipping, peak power needed for music reproduction, speaker measurements and what they mean, etc.   The also had the Parts Express speaker driver person there with examples.  They also had a completely DSP crossover speaker IIRC.   

ME? :icon_surprised:
It would seem like an Audio 101 seminar for loved ones would be a natural fit given a good presenter.   :thumb:

Mrs. Ninja

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 21 Oct 2010, 08:49 pm »
Thank you all for 1. agreeing with me. I really didn't know how the post would be taken and happy it has been for the positive. 2. Supporting The Ninja and I we appreciate your friendship and business more than you know (our daughter as well ... she likes to eat.)

This year at RMAF we got to meet so many more people and talk to them about our hobby/industry and truly believe what I wrote. I want to push us all forward and you have been very instrumental in helping us see our role in it. No one solution will change the industry it will be lots of them over years that will evolve the hobby I hope into something that in the future old and young will be excited to be a part of.

Mrs. Ninja

PS:I am sorry if I can be scary at times it comes from my passion I promise and you can tell me to back the hell off. I won't take offense.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 21 Oct 2010, 09:11 pm »
See all that is over the 101 syllabus head. More basic and more fun for the ladies.

ME? :icon_surprised:

YES!  :D

brj

« Reply #24 on: 21 Oct 2010, 09:47 pm »
Quote from: arthurs
....I found my Ninja pin....finally.....   :lol:

I thought she was going to spear me for a second when giving me my Ninja pin! :lol:

Good post, Mrs. Ninja.  I'd suggest amending one item and adding one.

Amend: I'm going to argue with your music list! ;)  Let attendees request what they want.  Just be respectful enough to keep it short if others are waiting to audition their own music and make sure the recording quality is high.  You're just not going to make everyone happy with any given music selection.  Besides, I always discover several new artists or recordings at the show because attendees selected unique audition pieces.  (Cell phone apps like Shazam and SoundHound on the iPhone are wonderful for doing this surreptitiously!)  Even some of us toward the younger end of the audiophile spectrum enjoy classical music, for example.  And some systems that handle one genre very well may not excel with other genres to nearly the same degree, so testing what you enjoy is important.  (Systems that excel with small groups or solo vocals may struggle on massive orchestral works, for example.)

Add: If you're going to talk in a room while others are auditioning the gear, please keep it down or take the conversation outside.  This applies to both hosts and attendees.  I left quite a few rooms simply because the conversations were so loud that I couldn't appreciate the music.

Mama Virtue

« Reply #25 on: 21 Oct 2010, 10:32 pm »
What do you know of how much or little I was drinking? Was I being followed? Has someone said something? I inferred a slight amount of consumption at the end of business each day. Mama- no 1-2 Beers (or scotches in my case) is fine while on vacation at a audio show. If I drank like that at home even less would get done than now.

Mrs. Ninja

hmm, was just implying that you seemed to know where the free alcohol was  :D No insult intended. After hours, hanging at the bar with new/old friends, was one of the best parts of RMAF for me. And yea, did suck to meet you less then 2 hrs before Jason and I had to take off Sun.

:beer: to an excellent show for Skiing Ninja I hope!

cujobob

« Reply #26 on: 21 Oct 2010, 11:49 pm »
Not to mention, audiophile gear is built to appeal to a male aesthetic, which is why good systems are often banished to the basement or a "dedicated" listening room.  If that one thing could be changed, so that good audio is allowed back into the living room, then the industry will be in much better shape.  Same goes for speaker design - so many speakers are designed to sound good from the "sweet spot", that it prevents the general family from enjoying "great sound" from anywhere in the room/home.  These 2 things together really push this to be a solo activity and not something easily shared, even with family.

This is a limitation in many ways because not every tweeter out there is good off-axis.  True constant directivity is likely the best possible solution for many reasons, but this takes a large waveguide which...is hard to make acceptable looking for not a lot of money.  I don't think speakers are necessarily designed for men's taste...I think they're quite unisex overall, but to be good, size is usually required... most women want smaller sizes (for speakers).  While narrow baffles have advantages, small drivers have disadvantages.  You could make large speakers 'artsy' but that's one of those 'eye of the beholder' type of appearance...some will love, but some will hate.  Many people like simple, many like over-the-top.  There are many many good looking speakers IMHO.

Appearance is dandy, but ultimately we pay for performance...this is high-end audio.  Find a DIY kit you like if an offering out there doesn't please you and have someone make a custom cabinet.

Regarding music selection, I have to agree that more popular well-recorded audiophile music should be all that's played.  Turning off multiple customers just to please one is not good business.  Attendees should get a feel for the speakers' sound for possible future auditions but I don't believe shows are where you truly audition speakers, moreso figure out which you'd add to your list for quality auditions.

Mrs. Ninja

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 22 Oct 2010, 12:27 am »
Gonna have to do more than that to insult me. And I just happened to have several people letting me know which rooms I should visit if I needed a mid day "pick-me-up" shall we say. But I won't name names.

Mrs. Ninja

hmm, was just implying that you seemed to know where the free alcohol was  :D No insult intended.

Mrs. Ninja

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 22 Oct 2010, 12:41 am »
REALLY? I said no arguing with the list, it could not be all inclusive, its what I wanted to hear more of that was seriously lacking this year.
Amend: Let attendees request what they want.
Come during the all request lunch hours then to hear the new and strange. Besides I didn't say you could ask just if you did they had the right to refuse and it should ne so good they can't refuse.
Besides, I always discover several new artists or recordings at the show because attendees selected unique audition pieces. 
I know The Ninja does
Even some of us toward the younger end of the audiophile spectrum enjoy classical music, for example. 
As attendees of course you want to listen to what you want and as exhibitors of course they want to play only stuff that is showing the best light. No Loudspeaker/System can do it all (well so they tell me) so you do have to listen to alot with a wide array of stuff on it... this year the real stuff we listen to daily (in our house anyway) was seriously in the lacking department. How is that giving anyone a true experience of what they would get at home? It's a rhetorical question I don't need 1000 posts answering it.
And some systems that handle one genre very well may not excel with other genres to nearly the same degree, so testing what you enjoy is important.  (Systems that excel with small groups or solo vocals may struggle on massive orchestral works, for example.)

I addressed this last year so I didn't this year so read my 2009 write up and you will know I agree 100%
Add: If you're going to talk in a room while others are auditioning the gear, please keep it down or take the conversation outside.  This applies to both hosts and attendees.  I left quite a few rooms simply because the conversations were so loud that I couldn't appreciate the music.

Love the passion,
Mrs. Ninja

TONEPUB

« Reply #29 on: 22 Oct 2010, 01:44 am »
Hey there:

Thanks to both of you Ninjas for hanging out with me at the end of the show!  Sorry it was so
short, I was stretched pretty thin this year....

And as we discussed with the folks at Virtue, there's a lot of room for gear that sounds great
AND looks great.  It's really what a lot of the new audio customers want.  We'll always have the
2% of the market that will have dedicated listening spaces etc etc, but it's gotta look cool and
sound cool if you want to grab new customers.  I've been going to dealers all over the world
and that's the common thread.

We'll certainly do our best to help promote this!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #30 on: 22 Oct 2010, 02:10 am »
I will note that 80% of what I listen to is classical, so if classical is not "allowed" in a room, then that room has just evicted itself from my consideration for anything.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #31 on: 22 Oct 2010, 02:19 am »
I will note that 80% of what I listen to is classical, so if classical is not "allowed" in a room, then that room has just evicted itself from my consideration for anything.

What if the room is offering scotch?  :o   :lol:

Tyson

« Reply #32 on: 22 Oct 2010, 02:39 am »
One of the rooms did have Macallan 12, but it was 11am and I'd not eaten anything yet :(

Mrs. Ninja

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 22 Oct 2010, 05:15 am »
Never said anywhere was not allowed.

Mrs. Ninja

Tyson

« Reply #34 on: 22 Oct 2010, 05:59 am »
I beg to differ - your rule #6, plus the fact that zero classical is mentioned in your approved "pre-1980's" or "post-1980's" list pretty much guts it as a musical selection.  I didn't visit the Skiing Ninja room this year, and now it seems unlikely next year...

Tyson

« Reply #35 on: 22 Oct 2010, 06:02 am »
Actually, I take that back.  The fact that you mention both Radiohead and Tool on your approved list makes you OK in my book :thumb:

Mrs. Ninja

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 22 Oct 2010, 04:18 pm »
I said " 6.   Classical, Opera, Country (no Johnny Cash is not country), Folk, Foreign, Religious,  and New Age Instrumentals do have their place among some great made audio but it is to be peppered into the day and not the meat of the day. First off, it is not a universal crowd pleaser and too much of it can exhaust you making listening no longer enjoyable."

I did not say it was not allowed in that statement. Second the list was a what needed to be played more I had explained that in my response to brj it could in no way be all inclusive and I said anyone was free to submit someting for addition to the list. No one has as of yet.

Mrs. Ninja
Of course Radiohead and Tool, I love Thom and Maynard.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #37 on: 23 Oct 2010, 04:23 am »
Mrs. Ninja...
First off it “Hit the Mark” :thumb: the increase in rooms this year offering free alcohol because it has been scientifically proven that listening to music sounds better with wine or scotch.

I'll drink to that....and also include beer... :beer:  :lol:

I like your musical selections.... 8)
.....the only problem that I can see going forward....
..............with more computer setups every year....they won't have a Cd player...
.......................and may not what to "rip" your Cd so it can be heard. :duh:

studiotech

« Reply #38 on: 23 Oct 2010, 04:52 am »
I said " 6.   Classical, Opera, Country (no Johnny Cash is not country), Folk, Foreign, Religious,  and New Age Instrumentals do have their place among some great made audio but it is to be peppered into the day and not the meat of the day. First off, it is not a universal crowd pleaser and too much of it can exhaust you making listening no longer enjoyable."

I did not say it was not allowed in that statement. Second the list was a what needed to be played more I had explained that in my response to brj it could in no way be all inclusive and I said anyone was free to submit someting for addition to the list. No one has as of yet.

Mrs. Ninja
Of course Radiohead and Tool, I love Thom and Maynard.

I find that reading comprehension seems to be a real problem these days.....

Reminds me of my post from last year:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=34844

Greg

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #39 on: 23 Oct 2010, 05:56 am »
Mrs. Ninja...
Well I think that wraps it up for me. If anything else happened I don’t remember because I had one to many scotches at the bar before bed each night.

You might like this thread.... Link...  :wink: