Coloney ab-1

Berndt

Coloney ab-1
« on: 15 Apr 2019, 03:03 pm »
It's been a while since I posted, but helping a fellow audio friend recently he gifted me a bunch of 70's gear.
One of the items is a coloney ab-1, which ran when parked. It is in cosmetic great condition. This is the predecessor to the  maple knoll.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/coloney/ab-1.shtml

I'm feeling ambivalent about spending any time fussing with it. If you are in the bay area and want a project it is kind of interesting /weird/ seventies hifi like bellbottoms...

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Coloney ab-1
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2019, 03:30 pm »
Bill,

I got a linear tracker.  It's pretty cool to see it in action and I can really hear good things -- definitely no inner groove distortion with soundstage.  I have to make sure everything is perfect with alignment, tonearm bearing and tracking force.  There is no anti skate and it can skip/stuck if the grooves are dirty or scratched.  But the reward is nice.  You might want to keep it, get it optimized and hear what I am talking about. 

Berndt

Re: Coloney ab-1
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2019, 03:49 pm »
I had an et-1 mkii on a Merrill heirloom and it wasn't a good match. I just want to be strategic about picking my projects. I'm more into mass decks with traditional arms. I'd love to see this go to someone more enthusiastic...