Recommendation for $4000 USD or lower high quality turntable

undertowogt1

Hi fellow audio addicts,

Currently I have a Project Debut III Turntable that I have been pretty happy with for the past 10 years. I am looking into get a "forever" table. A turntable that I will be happy with for the next 20 -30 years or more. I can always upgrade the cart but I would plan to have the table for a very long time. I would like to keep my budget for the Table and arm around 4000 USD ( I am from Canada so its really Like 5000 plus taxes). I do like the style of the VPI Prime and have read amazing reviews, but you know how reviews can be. I am ok with proper setup and alignment and have all the tools I need for that. I also have cleaning machines etc, so the money would be just for the Table and arm. I would want something with style, value, and function (sounds like the prime, I know), but is that my only choice. I am not a big fan of the Rega, they seem too plan, but I do kinda like the new Mofi tables and the cheaper Linn Sondeck LP12 Tables

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Recommendation for $4000 USD or lower high quality turntable
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2019, 09:23 am »
I would select two, a top current Technics SL1200 and a belt drive WTL.

maty

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2019, 11:03 am »
Turntable from Project Debut was a bad idea.

You do not need to spend a lot of money. A very good second hand turntable.

TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/yamaha/px-3.shtml

Cartridge: Ortofon Kontrapunkt A (Shibata)
https://www.ortofon.com/mc-kontrapunkt-a-p-621

There are more very good combinations.

BTW, phono preamp?

maty

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2019, 11:18 am »
Technics SL1200-MK5 (modified)

* Rega RB300 arm with RB700 wiring
* Michell Tecnoweight
* SoundSupports armboard
* Trans-Fi Audio ResoMat

Ortofon Quintet Black S

undertowogt1

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2019, 01:01 pm »
Turntable from Project Debut was a bad idea.

Currently my project debut has been modified to get ride of the infamous project hum. I isolated the motor with some rubber washers. It sits on a sand filled isolation stand and I have an Audio technical MLa440. To me it sound pretty good. That being said I have not heard other quality turntables in quality systems. My phono pre is a Bottlehead Reduction. The phono could he upgraded if needed. I am mainly concerned about getting a table that will last and deliver for years to come. Thanks for your suggestions. I will look them up. I do not have an issue buying used either.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2019, 04:56 pm by undertowogt1 »

borism

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2019, 01:23 pm »
I have a restored Thorens TD 160 Super by Vinyl Nirvana with a Jelco tonearm. At your price point you could look into a restored TD 125. Both are great tables and come with new custom hardwood plinths of your choice. Check out the website.

maty

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2019, 02:30 pm »
The world of vinyl is a very expensive hobby.

If you listen to very well recorded vinyl, you may be interested in spending money, but if it is not, it is not logical, in my opinion.

What kind of music do you listen to? Classic, jazz...

RPM123

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2019, 03:21 pm »
Check this line out, plus they are made in Canada. Perhaps a local dealer could offer you a price within your budget, especially with a trade-in.

http://purefidelity.ca/turntables.html

undertowogt1

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2019, 03:49 pm »

If you listen to very well recorded vinyl, you may be interested in spending money, but if it is not, it is not logical, in my opinion.

What kind of music do you listen to? Classic, jazz...
I listen music like , Floyd, Neil young, porcupine tree. Rock / prog/ Mark knofpler kinda stuff. Not Jazz and Classical.

I can afford a quality table , but at the same time I would like a sonic difference if I am going to drop  a significant amount of money. The other option would be to get a table around 3000 dollars and if needed buy a better phono and cart Maybe this would this be a better use of my money

kingdeezie

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2019, 04:00 pm »
I’ve been out of vinyl for a while.

A lot of people sleep on the JA Mitchell Gyrodec. I had one the first time I got out of analog. When I returned I bought a VPI Classic, and then a Prime.

All were good tables, but the Gyrodec was my favorite. It has good sonics, and felt better built to me versus either VPI product.

You could get a Gyrodec and Techoarm for around your budget. Just a thought.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2019, 04:06 pm »
If you look on Canuck Audio Mart, you'll find many decent tables that should be an upgrade for you.  I saw a few Thorens with SME tonearms.  That plus a thousand spent on a better cartridge should be a noticeable step up. 
And make a diy ultrasonic cleaner. 

S Clark

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2019, 04:16 pm »
This certainly doesn't have to be true.  High end vinyl sound, maybe not state of the art,  can happen at around $1.5K including table, arm, cartridge, and phono pre.
Good used TT- $500
Ortofon Quintet blue or better-  $250 used or $500 new
If you need a separate one,  Jelco tonearm-new ~ $400-600   used $250-300  or lots of various other used arms at $400^
Vista phono pre-  $300 new, $150 used

undertowogt1

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2019, 04:31 pm »

And make a diy ultrasonic cleaner.
.   already done

S Clark

maty

« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2019, 05:15 pm »
If I were you I would investigate combinations that give excellent results as the two commented. Nothing of a modern new TT,  some absurdly expensive.

PierreB

« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2019, 05:46 pm »
Have you listen to the new Rega Planar 8 with the Apheta 2 ??

mick wolfe

« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2019, 05:49 pm »
I've had a WTL Amadeus for about 6 years. Have no desire to look at other turntables. Despite the somewhat funky appearance and non conventional engineering approach, the Amadeus rivals tables far more costly.  Still slightly under $3K as far as I know.

roscoeiii

« Reply #17 on: 17 Mar 2019, 06:28 pm »
 Of what I have owned around that price I'd recommend the Well Tempered Amadeus or a Townsend Rock.  Rock gives you more bass and ability to change/choose arms. The benefits of both tables' damping is real impressive. I've compared the 2 elsewhere on this site

jibzilla

« Reply #18 on: 17 Mar 2019, 07:30 pm »
I highly recommend my own pioneer pl-70lii. It is the largest direct drive you can get from yahoo.jp and stay under the 30kg with packaging. It is also semi auto which is very nice. Anything over 30 and it is outrageously priced shipping. I got mine from hakana113. He deals with only mint museum quality items. His prices start out high but eventually go down and after that go to auction sometimes where some real deals can be had. I use zenmarket.jp as a proxy service.

For $4k
pioneer pl-70lii $1200 + 250 shipping $1450
oyaide tonearm cable $200 minus $50 for stock cable $150
A budget (daily driver cart) $150, A high end (special occasion cart) $650, I highly recommend 2juki on ebay
Nitty Gritty 1.0 $400
Acupwr step down transformer 300 watt $150
A $250 phono pre. I personally like lounge and bugle 2
The remaining $800 on pre mid 1980 records. I personally like classic rock and jazz

The most important parts are not what you spend or how you spend it though. The most important parts are doing the math, utilizing vinyl engine databases, and knowing what is up with records, avoid reissue classic records and discogs. I have seen many a mismatched system and I def. prefer the local record shop over discogs and think the classic records sound miles better than any reissue, save maybe big money bluenote/mfsl reissue's.   

If you like belt drive you can get a micro seiki bl-91 with gold platter and still stay under 30kg. It will sound even better, especially with a fidelity research tonearm. Allot more money though and not semi auto. It really is an end game record player sound wise though.

If you have to have new. I like Sota and Linn.

S Clark

« Reply #19 on: 17 Mar 2019, 08:09 pm »
The Pioneer Exclusive line are great tables. But both the P3 and the PL70 are very hard to come by in North America.  I have looked at Japanese auction sites, but never overcame my reluctance to buy overseas, in a foreign language and different culture. 
The Victor TT-81 (or JVC QL-8 with plinth and arm) are almost in that quality range, and the Technics SP-10 MKii is comparable.  I'd look at recapping any of these DD vintage tables as the electrolytics are getting pretty old.  So figure an extra couple of hundred added to the price.