New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.

SoCalWJS

Re: New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.
« Reply #120 on: 3 Mar 2018, 02:12 am »

The line array are in Panama...if you stop by...let me know...an audition is possible...Miguel
I may hold you to that!

(I think the chances of that are pretty remote...... :green:)

Every now and then I like to dream about having the means to indulge in a true SOTA system and of course, I start with Speakers. I keep coming back to the Line Force Array with at least a 3x12. I loved both the Super 7 and the Mockingbird LX systems when I heard them, and I think your speakers are probably the next step up. I've heard many top end systems though the years and I think both of those are at the top end of what I've heard (for their price point). I imagine that they capture some of the detail of the larger Martin Logan (and similar) w/o their directionality issues and scale to very large music just as well as the best  I've heard.

Enjoy!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #121 on: 3 Mar 2018, 02:21 am »
Miguel -- tell us more.

What amp do you have powering those line arrays? List the other gear.
How would you describe the sound?
What speakers did the line arrays replace?
Do you have a pair of Danny's OB servo subs for bass?
What convinced you to purchase those line arrays and have them shippeed to Panama? Did you come to Texas to hear them first? 
What gear do you have for sale?
Ditto!

Miguel Gonzalez

« Reply #122 on: 3 Mar 2018, 03:58 am »
Ditto!

What amp do you have powering those line arrays?

My main amplifier is the KR Audio Kronzilla VA680 Power Amplifier. single-ended tube amplifier - pure class A, zero feedback.

I left by mistake the amp on for 24 hours and the power supply has to changed...I have the part on its way to Panama...

I just bought today a first watt SIT-2 single stage, 10 watts at 8 ohms...should be in Panama soon hopefully...

I do no own any LP nor a turntable...only dac for the source in my case...

The dac I currently use is the Wadia X32 I imagine it is from the 90's...but...

https://sites.google.com/site/tvcaudio/home/wadia/wadia-x32

The wadia X32 has been modified by TVC audio from France (team of audiophile friends who work in the telecom industry), they have created their
own interface in between a logitech duet also modified and he wadia x32... with their 300 femtoseconds clocks on both side of the gear...

I am looking to replace the dac, I am even surprised that I still have this dac.

I should receive a modified Oppo Sonica and LKS 8038 from Ric Schultz in the next weeks...we shall see if the Wadia X32 will be replaced ?
Who knows ?

The preamp is The Truth Pre Amp

Of also use a regenator PurePower+ 1500

Cables are power supply Triode Labs and Custom interconnects silver wire...

I have also MMG speakers wires (Silver and another Cooper) and MMG cable interconnect cooper (for sale)

I am unable to describe the sound the way 6 moons does it (I need to read 10 times the article and still sometimes do not get it)

But I can tell you that this system with the Force Line Array is not fatiguing. Other systems exhaust you very quickly, this is not at all the case...

With my existing Wadia X32 dac I can only listen to 16 /44.1 format redbook CD from my computer through the Logitech Duet.

I have not yet felt the need to experiment with high res... but I will in the near future I am sure...You can literally rediscover your recording in
Redbook format...you would be surprised how much information is there when it was well recorded. The opposite being true also you can immediately know if the recording was excellent, ok or mediocre...

I listen to the same music at different places for example in my car, another system etc... and when I come back to the line arrays you perceive almost so much information that you wonder how much information is reproduced on other systems...

How could I best describe the speakers with the servo drives : it is the only component in my system since i got it that I never even thought one second to change, all the other component are at risk...that says a lot...

Emerald Physics Open Baffle Speaker (sold)

Clearwave Minuet R5 (Raal driver) (for sale)

Duet 7 Reference
Link : https://www.clearwavespeakers.com/product/1383849

Yes with the 3 drivers facing front...

What convinced you to purchase those line arrays and have them shipped to Panama?

When I started the conversation with Danny those speakers did not exist. Danny and I took a chance going forward on a product that did not exist.
I am so glad that I insisted on the structure being in Aluminum (one inch thick) which was not obvious at that time. The excution is obviuosly o be attribued to Danny.

Why planar, line array and open baffle ? After several discussions with Danny and Ric Schultz I became convinced that it was worthwhile to try and I am so happy of the end result delivered by Danny.

Did you come to Texas to hear them first?
Not at all

I am still surprised that there is only one pair like mine so far, I know they are expensive but really what you get if you can afford it (maybe kit or DIY or a mix of the 2, maybe another material than aluminum...) audiophiles should go after it seriously...

Lampizator
Aum Acoustics LDR Based Passive Preamplifier (Tortuga based)
http://aumacoustics.com/aum-acoustics-ldr-preamplifier/
Aum Acoustics Statement Quality 2A3 Tube Power Amplifier
http://aumacoustics.com/aum-acoustics-2a3-amp/
Vinnie Rossi LIO
Tubes...
Cables
cf Also Supra

I am open to any suggestion in order to improve my system...

Thanks Miguel

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #123 on: 3 Mar 2018, 04:16 am »
Hi Miguel,

You had Danny build you a pair of speakers that a lot of people here in the States would love to have. I have one of his earlier creations the Super Vs and really enjoy them with a Lampizator Atlantic Dac/Pre amp.

Which Lampizator do you have and how much do you want for it?

Miguel Gonzalez

« Reply #124 on: 3 Mar 2018, 04:25 am »
Hi Miguel,

You had Danny build you a pair of speakers that a lot of people here in the States would love to have. I have one of his earlier creations the Super Vs and really enjoy them with a Lampizator Atlantic Dac/Pre amp.

Which Lampizator do you have and how much do you want for it?

Big Seven Dac
Unbalanced
With volume control
DSD up to 128 with chipless

3800 usd...

Miguel Gonzalez

« Reply #125 on: 3 Mar 2018, 04:34 am »
Miguel -- tell us more.

What amp do you have powering those line arrays? List the other gear.
What convinced you to purchase those line arrays and have them shippeed to Panama? Did you come to Texas to hear them first? 

Just coming back to the neo 3's tweeters as the subject is about New GR Neo 3 tweeters...

The Clearwave Minuet R5 have Raal drivers, the large ones, it is one driver not a line array...but i do no miss at all the Raal ( I agree we are talking completely different configuration here)

I can hear up to 15KHZ

I have also the Maximum Supertweeters
http://www.townshendaudio.com/supertweeters/
and I have tried them on top of the line array, I do not know if it is my limitation with the 15khz but so far in my case it did not felt any improvement in the overall result.

Maybe I should try again with another amplifer...

studley

« Reply #126 on: 3 Mar 2018, 11:00 am »
At one point Danny was going to see if he could find a CNC shop that would make the frames at a reasonable price.  Guess that didn't pan out ?

Miguel Gonzalez

« Reply #127 on: 3 Mar 2018, 01:41 pm »
At one point Danny was going to see if he could find a CNC shop that would make the frames at a reasonable price.  Guess that didn't pan out ?

One of the issues with those open baffle aluminum panel that came up during the process of building them was to find a CNC shop that could CNC cut a piece that long...

Stimpy

« Reply #128 on: 3 Mar 2018, 02:24 pm »
One of the issues with those open baffle aluminum panel that came up during the process of building them was to find a CNC shop that could CNC cut a piece that long...

Well, that's a shame!  It would have been nice if baffle panels could have been made using a less expensive method?  Maybe even cutting baffles from flat stainless steel.  Then you could use a front and rear baffle, with Baltic Birch plywood (and the like) sandwiched in between.  Similar to how Clearaudio builds their top turntables.  I suppose you could use one stainless steel baffle sandwiched between front and rear wood baffles too.  If you wanted the wood look? 

Regardless, thanks for sharing Miguel.  An awesome system.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #129 on: 3 Mar 2018, 04:27 pm »

So exactly how long is the baffle panel?  I know I'm pretty busy these days and not around AC as much, but I might know a guy...

Also, are they finished in paint or is that a gloss finish annodizing?  Getting them cut might be doable off the top of my head, but I'm not sure I know anyone with an anno setup that could take a piece that big.

Miguel Gonzalez

« Reply #130 on: 3 Mar 2018, 06:54 pm »
So exactly how long is the baffle panel?  I know I'm pretty busy these days and not around AC as much, but I might know a guy...

Also, are they finished in paint or is that a gloss finish annodizing?  Getting them cut might be doable off the top of my head, but I'm not sure I know anyone with an anno setup that could take a piece that big.

The baffle was painted...

Uzeb

« Reply #131 on: 3 Mar 2018, 09:41 pm »
1/2" bamboo plywood I think would work for baffles, bamboo is considered stronger than steel. I own a cabinet shop and use 3/4' bamboo plywood a lot, it has very little bend or flex over 8 feet. As little or less than a 8 foot piece of 1/2" aluminum. Another aspect of bamboo is that it has vibration damping properties. 1/2" Bamboo Ply is about $170.00 to $200.00 for a 4 x8 sheet and machines pretty much like wood but needs a heavy CNC router to process.

I have an industrial CNC machine in my shop and could easily machine the baffles if I had the specs. I have included a picture of a speaker that I made out of 3/4 bamboo ply to fit Accuton drivers

I would be keen to be involved if there is some interest from others.

emailtim

« Reply #132 on: 4 Mar 2018, 06:02 am »
Here is the GR Neo3 with the yarn installed with the BG Neo10.

What does the yarn do to the tweeter (some type of attenuation) ?

srb

« Reply #133 on: 4 Mar 2018, 06:37 am »
What does the yarn do to the tweeter (some type of attenuation) ?

Post #9 describes the installation and results of the yarn used in place of the factory installed felt that was used in the BG PDR version.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152039.msg1626035#msg1626035

emailtim

« Reply #134 on: 4 Mar 2018, 07:07 am »
Post #9 describes the installation and results of the yarn used in place of the factory installed felt that was used in the BG PDR version.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152039.msg1626035#msg1626035

Thanks for the link.

Danny Richie

« Reply #135 on: 4 Mar 2018, 02:29 pm »
1/2" bamboo plywood I think would work for baffles, bamboo is considered stronger than steel. I own a cabinet shop and use 3/4' bamboo plywood a lot, it has very little bend or flex over 8 feet. As little or less than a 8 foot piece of 1/2" aluminum. Another aspect of bamboo is that it has vibration damping properties. 1/2" Bamboo Ply is about $170.00 to $200.00 for a 4 x8 sheet and machines pretty much like wood but needs a heavy CNC router to process.

I have an industrial CNC machine in my shop and could easily machine the baffles if I had the specs. I have included a picture of a speaker that I made out of 3/4 bamboo ply to fit Accuton drivers

I would be keen to be involved if there is some interest from others.

PM me or give me a call. Maybe we can make something happen with these.

HT cOz

« Reply #136 on: 6 Mar 2018, 02:52 pm »
Proper bamboo baffles would be amazing!!!

madsry

« Reply #137 on: 18 May 2018, 10:53 pm »
Did the bamboo idea pan out? Or the metal/ply/metal?

Also, I may have a resource for the aluminum CNC work if there was still sufficient interest...

Papucho

« Reply #138 on: 4 Jun 2018, 06:59 pm »

The baffle was painted...

Hello from Panama

I like your system

Beardy

« Reply #139 on: 7 Jun 2018, 04:22 pm »
laser cut steel would be low cost - much lower than milling.
stiffer than aluminium and readily powder coated.  It would push resonances way up.
Just bolt the drivers in and don't tap the holes.
If you did it in 1/4" inch steel it would be pigging heavy, so you'd want a stable base!
if you want to damp the structure then you could similarly cut a matching sheet of mass loaded rubber or No Rez or similar to glue to the back.