Question about powering Odyssey Amps

Spirit

• Volunteer
Question about powering Odyssey Amps
« on: 14 May 2018, 12:36 am »
I am a very proud owner of 2 sets of Stratos Mono amps - yes, that is a total of 4 amps.
I have been meaning to get an answer to this query for quite awhile:
Klaus recommends that the amps be plugged directly into an AC outlet and not to use any power conditioning.
I have a power regenerator sitting idle - Purepower APS 1000 - which basically takes dirty AC, regenerates and then outputs clean and stable power.
What would be the reasoning for not using this kind of device to use with the amps?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Question about powering Odyssey Amps
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2018, 12:48 am »
There is no benefit, Stratos power supply already cleaning the income power. This device no delivery power to drive 1 Stratos, it suit to preamp or sources.

A_shah

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2018, 08:53 am »
There is no benefit, Stratos power supply already cleaning the income power. This device no delivery power to drive 1 Stratos, it suit to preamp or sources.

+1 Plus :thumb:

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2018, 01:39 pm »
OK. Fair enough - can someone explain technically how the Stratos cleans the incoming power?

Waltzzz

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2018, 02:04 pm »
Very good questions.  I'm interested in the definitive answer.  I have a kismet amp with a Cardas Parsec power cord.  I hear a slight buzzing (can't hear from listening position) which seems to be coming from the transformer.  A technician told me it probably needed to be secured better.  However, when the furnace kicks on the buzzing becomes louder - so I have to assume it is related to the power the amp is being fed.  Before I buy an expensive current cleaner such as Audioquest Niagra I will see what others have to say.

rikhav

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2018, 03:37 pm »
My friend had exactly same problem with his Karan integrated amp
The Karan's distributor immediately concluded it needs a transformer replacement and it will be chargeable as unit is outside warranty
He also said it's happened due to bad electricity at my friend's house
We called a very recognised technician known to have  worked on  with very high equipment

He immediately found out the screw holding the transformer tight to the chasis had somehow for some reason become loose and transformer was not snug tight in its position

Moment screw was tightened and amp switched on the hum had gone
Not happened again

So just get checked if the transformer is snug tight in its place or wobbles a little bit

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2018, 10:29 pm »
OK. Fair enough - can someone explain technically how the Stratos cleans the incoming power?
Usually is a PCB after the power cord before the power transformer, my cd player Sony from 1999 have a PCB after the power cord for mains treatment.
Edited for grammars.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 11:50 pm by FullRangeMan »

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2018, 11:29 pm »
Usually is a PCB after the power cord before the power transformer, by cd player Sony from 1999 have a this PCB after the power cord for mains treatment.
I absolutely mean no disrespect, but I do not understand how this reply would help me in deciding whether to use a power re-generator.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2018, 11:39 pm »
I absolutely mean no disrespect, but I do not understand how this reply would help me in deciding whether to use a power re-generator.
OK, as I said before seems your equip is suited to preamps, cd players etc due the 1000W capacity, Iam being conservative suggesting you dont use it w/a big amp as Stratos for security reasons.
However ask the Klaus relevant opinion too.

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2018, 11:44 pm »
Spirit

I have own Odyssey amps since 1999, four different models, and have tried them with and without line conditioning.  No harm done either way so try it and make up your own mind. Only way you will know as every power situation is different in every living environment and you already own the device.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2018, 12:04 am »
Thank you guys for the replies. I think I will contact Klaus to get his take on this subject.
Much appreciated.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2018, 12:30 am »
If you ask Klaus the Stratos maximum electricity consumption would help.

fado

« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2018, 12:48 am »
My Furman power conditioner has separate plugs for amplifiers so I use one of them for my amplifier but I have no idea how the designated amp plugs differ from the others. I have read that amps should use wall plugs but then what about power surge protection?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2018, 01:11 am »
Conditioner plugs for amps typically use circuits ''hi'' current.

After a catastrophic event a few years a go I do the ''best'' surge protection now: if start a rain I turn off all my system, also after every listening session I unplug all equips from the wall.

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2018, 01:32 am »
When I had my Stratos Extreme amp, I had it plugged into a Shunyata Hydra 2 which was designed for high current power amps.  The Hydra conditioners do not limit power as they are passive.  The noise floor lowered audibly.

Randy

« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2018, 05:22 am »
Very good questions.  I'm interested in the definitive answer.  I have a kismet amp with a Cardas Parsec power cord.  I hear a slight buzzing (can't hear from listening position) which seems to be coming from the transformer.  A technician told me it probably needed to be secured better.  However, when the furnace kicks on the buzzing becomes louder - so I have to assume it is related to the power the amp is being fed.  Before I buy an expensive current cleaner such as Audioquest Niagra I will see what others have to say.

https://avahifi.com/collections/accessories/products/humdinger-dc-line-blocker

It works. I'd never had amplifier buzz until I got my latest.  This took care of it completely.

Big Hendy

« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2018, 03:32 pm »
I am weighing in for the first - so none of you have seen me before.  I have been doing business with Klaus for just over 18 years (2000).  I have had an original Stratos stereo power amp, upgraded to Stratos Mono Extremes, then had him build up a pair of RG4s (Symphonic line design).  I also own a pair of Symphonic Line Legatos, and at one point, owned a Tempest pre-amp.  He is now in the process of upgrading my entire system: new power amps, Candela pre-amp; Suspiro with independent power supply; Symphonic Line CD player; and Liquids.  Yes, I jumped onto the upgrade treadmill big time and cannot wait for the new system to be built and arrive.  That's my way of providing Klaus the most ringing endorsement that I can.  I have nothing by high praise for him.  I have purchased much equipment over the years from many locations in Montana, California, Maryland, and Virginia.  Never in all my dealings have I dealt with someone who possesses the passion and desire to impart his love for music recreation as much as Klaus - bar none (and I have dealt with some dealers that were a pleasure to deal with - but none like Klaus).

The real reasons for this post, however, is this.  I recently moved my existing system (which contains the RG4s) from the basement to the upstairs master bedroom and encountered a nasty hum (I believe it is a ground loop).  To address the issue, I purchased a $100 UPS at Costco, which also serves as a surge protector.  It eliminated the hum and has enabled me to protect my system in the event of electrical surges. Voila - problem solved.

Waltzzz

« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2018, 08:35 pm »
It's always informative to read the feedback - for me it is regarding the hum/buzzing in my amp - due to either/both the electrical line or a loose transformer.  Thank you Rikhov, Randy and Big Hendy especially.  I will look into the amp to see if any obvious screws holding the power supply are loose and I will investigate the humdinger and UPS. 

rikhav

« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2018, 02:54 am »
You will mostly need to hold the nut on top of transformer with one spanner and tighten the one at the bottom of the chasis
So just cautioning you it's not a one man job specially with the weight of all Odyssey amplifiers

AlTran

« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2018, 05:09 pm »
I don't use a power conditioner any longer. Simply put, I have direct & dedicated lines for each piece.