Make a 2004 Macbook Pro a music server? Bad idea?

geowak

Make a 2004 Macbook Pro a music server? Bad idea?
« on: 19 Aug 2015, 11:09 pm »
Just updated my everyday use old 13' Macbook Pro with a 2015 Macbook. Had the crazy idea to move all contents over to an external HDD EXCEPT ITUNES and the music library and make the older Macbook a dedicated music server. I have a very large library of aiff files and never really listen to them via my audio system.

Has anyone done this?
How well has it worked?
Should I run some software onto iTunes to increase sound quality?

I mostly run an all digital audio system and will be feeding a high quality DAC. Probably a Benchmark DAC1.

Thoughts??

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
Re: Make a 2004 Macbook Pro a music server? Bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2015, 11:58 pm »
Sounds like you're going to want to upgrade. I'm not too sure a 2004 (i.e: ancient) Macbook Pro is worth the time & effort Unless you've recently upgraded, somethings bound to fail.

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2015, 01:07 am »
I agree with Smk, it is an old laptop.  While it might be in working order, there comes a time when something is old that is not worth using it for more up to date device.  I have a 2009 15" MBP and while it has its updates and I also added additional HDD in lieu of the Superdrive, I am already counting the year/s whereas I will have to get an updated main computer. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2015, 02:26 am »
The Benchmark isn't the most musical DAC, you can do better for sonic enjoyment.  The latest one has DSD, which is way beyond what you'd need for AIFF files.  Recommend shopping for sub $500 DAC's (that's what I did for ALAC files).

I'm a computer dunce, so have only looked into software.  Again for AIFF I'd look at something like Decibel (a $35 iTunes add-on that is supposed to be simple to install/use).

I'd say, what do you have to lose trying to use your old MacBook?  I'm sure it'll run iTunes.  Even if you decide later to go to a Mini, you'd want a external HD for backup anyway, so you'd be out nothing for trying.  Don't know how the MacBook sound quality would compare to a Mini, but running off battery must be an advantage. 

I run a 2014 non-dedicated MacBook Air via a 3 meter USB cable from my listening chair to feed my audio system.  I have a small library that fits in it's SSD.  I use the MacBook Air everywhere including at the listening chair and only charge the battery when it drops below 20%.  So using my MacBook Air requires plugging the USB in (and sometimes the power cord).  From my single listening chair it's fairly easy to accommodate the cable(s).  Not as slick as a iPod controlling a headless Mini (of course display/keyboard/mouse is still needed for setup and troubleshooting).  You'd have to decide if you're a tinkerer or can get by for extended periods without messing with the Mini.  Personally I just didn't want another computer.