626R in A Cabinet?

hotwheels

626R in A Cabinet?
« on: 8 Aug 2005, 07:07 pm »
Does anyone have  626R speakers set into a cabinet? My only option is to put these into a cabinet (24 inches off floor, 60" high and 24" deep and 8 feet long). Is this too much of a compromise for these speakers?

CornellAlum

626R in A Cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2005, 07:17 pm »
In my opinion, absolutely it will be a compromise, though I suppose you could try it and let us know.

hotwheels

626R in A Cabinet?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2005, 07:22 pm »
Thanks CornellAlum  If it is too much of a compromise, then i will scratch these off the list and keep looking for a quality speaker that will work in this application. I understand some do and others do not work in a cabinet becasue of the bass issues related to placement in a cabinet.
Thanks

CornellAlum

626R in A Cabinet?
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2005, 07:52 pm »
My biggest concern would not be the bass perse, but rather how you would crossfire the speaks to get them in optimal placement for your room.  What is the size of the room and more importantly, why would you HAVE to place them in a cabinet?  That said, if you search the vmps archives here, there is most certainly a thread pertaining to this exact topic that I found while perusing a few months back.
Are ANY speakers going to sound optimally when placed in a cabinet?

Daryan

hotwheels

626R in A Cabinet?
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2005, 08:08 pm »
The room is aboutu 17x25x9.5 with one wall having 8' high glass doors, the other wall is i/2 glass door and 1/2 rock fireplace. the other two walls have built in cabinets. Te furniture is in the middle of the room. So, there is not much space on the floor to put speakers unless I put them infront of the glass doors and for varieties of reasons that  will not work.

I do have one corner where the two glass doors from different walls meet where I could place speakers, but there is not much room there since the fire place protrudes from the wall into the room about 4 -5 feet making the available corner space restricted.

That leaves me the cabinets unless I can make the glass wall corner work.

I will check the VPMS archives. I have checked elsewhere too and there are some speakers supposedly designed for this type of application and others that may work.

ScottMayo

Re: 626R in A Cabinet?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2005, 08:22 pm »
Quote from: hotwheels
Does anyone have  626R speakers set into a cabinet? My only option is to put these into a cabinet (24 inches off floor, 60" high and 24" deep and 8 feet long). Is this too much of a compromise for these speakers?

No speaker is going to take well to being shoved into what amounts to a small resonant chamber. A 2x5x8' cabinet is going to color the sound; you'll get a dramatic peak at around 560Hz and lots of other peaks extending down to about 70Hz. Depending on how the cabinet opens to the room, you can also get interesting diffraction effects. None of this is guaranteed to be a big problem, but then, it could be.

You have some options. First, buy some really cheap speakers at Radio Shack (which you will return, on the grounds that they are junk). Listen to them, then put them in the cabinet and then listen again. If the sound gets lots worse, you have some idea what will happen to any speaker you put in there, and can decide what you need to do. (Remember, sometimes cabinets just accidentially fall off of walls and shatter, and it isn't anyone's fault.) Of course, if the sound doesn't change much in there, you're in luck.

If it changes some, just enough to be annoying, you can experiment with making the cabinet sonically dead - stuff it with insulation or thick cloth and try the speakers again. Of course, if it's a display cabinet and it displays valuable art or something, this is not going to be much of an option.

You could get really lucky and decide you *like* the way the cabinet colors the sound. It would amount to a bit of a bass boost, which might be ok - smaller speakers, after all, don't always suffer from having their low end boosted a little. But I'd definitely experiment before buying any speaker for keeps.

CornellAlum

John Casler

626R in A Cabinet?
« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2005, 09:56 pm »
Quote from: hotwheels
The room is aboutu 17x25x9.5 with one wall having 8' high glass doors, the other wall is i/2 glass door and 1/2 rock fireplace. the other two walls have built in cabinets. Te furniture is in the middle of the room. So, there is not much space on the floor to put speakers unless I put them infront of the glass doors and for varieties of reasons that  will not work.

I do have one corner where the two glass doors from different walls meet where I could place speakers, but there is not much room there since ...

Hey Mr Wheels,

First off as mentioned earlier, cabinet placement is goint to be a problem with most any speaker.

With the 626R specifically you have three issues to address, and if addressed well, they could be better than most any other speaker.

Those issues are:

1) Reflection/refraction of the cabinet and its enclosure
2) The rear port response
3) Convergence issues

I have had clients place the 626R in cabinets before and "cringe" at the thought.

But the detrimental cabinet enclosure resonances "can" be challenged by making a "cutout" that fits the enclosures opening where only the "face" (front baffle) of the 626R fits through.  This cutout can be made of light plywood, or heavy cardboard and finished on both sides with acoustic foam.  So what you have is a an enclosure of the space, with the front of the speaker showing through.

It is also helpfull to put acoustic foam up on all the inside walls of the enclosure, and fill the rest of the enclosure with something like "fiber fill"

The rear of the enclosure should be open if you wish to get the deepest bass.  If this is a HT set up and you will be using a sub, simply set the 626R to roll off at 80 Hz and you should be fine.

The front of the 626R can either be "flush" with the cutout, or it can sticke out 3"-4".

You should also be able to place the speaker at an angle to acheive a convergence.

The front of the cutout could be finished in any fabric to acheive the desired look.

My particular client ran a black velvet curtain from the top of the cabinet to the bottom which was cut away to allow the 626R to be seen and heard.

It was quite attractive in appearance and sounded remarkable given it was sitting inside a cabinet.

I might add that the 626R was weighted and mechanically coupled to the cabinet to prevent vibration of the cabinet itself, after it was placed.