What are these tweeters in the ST III? Replacements for the Focal T-120

davidc1

I'm pretty sure these tweeters pictured were replacements for the Focal T-120 that were in the Super Tower III/SE after the focals were discontinued. Does anybody know what they are? In case I ever need to replace my Focals? Thanks guys. (these are not my speakers...mine have the yellow/orange Focals)

ZAKski288

Who really knows what they are, unless someone that knows of these speakers can tell you. To me it looks like someone left the face plate off the Focal T 120 and slapped a dome tweeter over the top. But who knows.

davidc1

Who really knows what they are, unless someone that knows of these speakers can tell you. To me it looks like someone left the face plate off the Focal T 120 and slapped a dome tweeter over the top. But who knows.

Thanks for your help, but as I said, these appear to be the tweeters that Brian used after the Focal T-120's were no longer available. I do not believe they were some private party modification.

duck851

Yes, they look like the ones I got from Brian in 2012.  There were no labels or markings visible, but I think they are rumored to be Morel.  I think there has been some discussion in other threads here.

Stimpy

From the Replacement Driver thread:

"Driver: Morel CAT 308 1-1/8" Soft Dome Tweeter
Source/Part Number: Parts Express / 277-082
Used in VMPS Models: Super Tower/R
Replacement or Original Driver: Replacement
Certainty: 95%
Notes:  This is is the model that Morel identifies as a replacement for the MDT-30."

duck851

My Focal replacements

davidc1

Thank you so much! Nothing written on the back huh? And those are these spiral ribbon super tweeters I think? Also, what overall model of speaker do you have? Thanks again!

My Focal replacements

duck851

I’ve got Tower II SEs I built as kits in maybe 1995 or so.  I was moving things around while listening to music ( :nono:  :duh:) and fried the Focal and the “JVC” in one speaker.   Like I said, Brian sold me these as direct replacements. IIRC correctly the only markings on the Infinity EMIT-like ribbon tweeters was the number 25

I think both the replacements sound much better with less sibilant emphasis than the originals. YMMV…