If you think only the latest speakers from VMPS are great!

warnerwh

A friend who's been into high end since the eighties came to my home this last weekend. I built a dedicated room which is treated.  The speakers I'm using are the older model Supertower/R's with dynaribbon mids and Scanspeak tweeters and a spiral ribbon super tweeter, good old VMPS bass drivers of course.  Preamp is an ARC LS 16, Parasound HCA 3500 amp, Sony ES cd player. Here's an email of his impression:

" Friday's listening was absolutely incredible. I have listened to Watt Puppies and various other high end speakers driven by Krell gear in a room designed and treated by Thiel at Nuts About Hi Fi. Although, it has been some time and memories fade; the midrange of your speakers with respect to detail and imaging was nothing short of stunning. The only problem is, I used to be happy. The same thing happened when I listened to your VMPS at your last house; however, it was definitely kicked up a notch."

Want to let people know occasionally the generation of speakers with the  dynaribbons that come up for sale are typically a steal at a couple of grand and will certainly compete with the latest from most anybody else's design for double the money or more.  You rarely see the Supertower/R,FF3 and FF1 for sale but when they are the prices I see for the sound quality I know, is incredible. I'm afraid I'd have to say for the 2k even VMPS doesn't have anything competitive!

flintstone

Supertowers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2005, 03:07 pm »
Check out my upside-down Supertowers at my system link.

I bought these new several years ago and have not used much for about 5 years.

I was told that to have the new 80oz woffs installed I would need to inlarge the cut-out so had my local Vmps dealer drop by to do the install.

Turns out they were just a drop-in with no cutting needed. Funny thing...the two guys that came to my home had experience with all the new models but not these oldies.

After telling me how mint these things looked and installing the new bass drivers we decided to have a listen...full-range of course.

I'm not sure if their eyes got bigger or mine because as I stated I had not had a listen in a few years myself....and never in my new much larger dedicated room.

To be honest, I was thinking about selling these and replacing with two of the larger subs....for a better over-all look. I have now decided to keep them and let them pull dubble duty as subs and my choice of ROCK SPEAKER OF THE DECADE!!!

Dave

audiochef

Classic VMPS
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2005, 08:16 pm »
Yes, my mediocre analog system via Tower 2SEs is hard to beat ,having streghnths even over my RM40s system.

davidc1

Re: If you think only the latest speakers from VMPS are great!
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2021, 03:30 pm »
I know this has got to be a massive longshot from such an old post...

Do you have a pic of the dynaribbons? Are they these:

https://images.app.goo.gl/MBX54md1UNHmiFg97

https://images.app.goo.gl/z8xGYAYsXt7PNBLbA

https://images.app.goo.gl/7kLvw4horMUGZ5s66

GeorgeAb

Re: If you think only the latest speakers from VMPS are great!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2021, 09:22 pm »
David,

If Warner does not respond in the next few days, hit me up with a PM and I will provide his email address. He will know the answer to your question.