Jeff Bagby Tribute

Mudslide

Fantastic looking, and I'll bet measuring/sounding, speakers!

(Go win 'em, Michael.)

SlushPuppy

Those look fantastic!  :thumb:

PMAT

Stunning and elegant. I can’t stop staring at that veneer work.

ZAKski288

Wow, great job. I love the veneer.

HT cOz

I"ll be sure to keep the group posted on the progress of the raffle.  In the meantime, I see a lot of interest in the veneering of these speakers and will post a bit about that process.  This is all coming from Kevin Kendrick.   :popcorn:

The second stack from the left is the material this set of cabinets was built from. I purchased four pieces, consecutive so they could be bookmatched. For reference, each piece is 6" wide and 94" long. Prices vary depending on quality, this lot's price was $9.50 per square foot. Total for the fours sheets came out to $160.00, very reasonable IMO considering the color and character. By far, some of the most beautiful veneer I've worked with to date.

I've bookmatched a few times now. IMO, the veneer needs to be as flat as possible for good book matches. You can buy softeners or you can make your own. Found a recipe online a couple of years ago, it has worked well for me. 6 parts distilled water, 3 parts denatured alchohol, 1 part glycerin

Found this tip online sometime back and it makes a world of difference when crosscutting veneer. Lightly dampen the veneer with a wet cloth along your cut line, both sides. Before I found this tip, I almost always fractured the veneer towards the end I was pulling towards with the veneer saw (pictured next). Haven't had any issues since incorporating this into my routine. This tip is really only needed for crosscuts, cuts with the grain are much easier.

In this case, I needed to retain as much of the original width as possible. Two consecutive pieces of the veneer were crosscut to length first and then stacked on top of each other for the rip cut. I prefer a piece of MDF as the straight edge to guide with, no chance of it damaging my veneer saw blade. The little handsaw can be purchased from numerous places online. I like to support small business owners when I can and get most of my tools and supplies from Veneer Supplies.com. Here is a link to the saw.

It's very easy to lose track of which piece came from which piece of veneer. I mark my individual sheets to help me keep them oriented and tied together. In the picture above, the two pieces came from sheet number 3 and sheet number 4 (top corners are marked). Although you would think as long as these two pieces stayed together, it wouldn't matter which side was up and which side was down. There's a definite difference in the character of the wood when flipped over and it doesn't line up as well one way vs the other. Picture on the right is the same two pieces as on the left but flipped over to see the back side.

Once I had two sets, I placed them on a piece of scrap cardboard and sprayed them down with the softener. Wet one side, immediately flip and wet the other side. If you try to saturate the veneer from one side only, it will curl and buckle worse. After they've sat 5-10 minutes soaking up the softener, I'll blot up any remaining puddles and then proceed to put them between two boards to be clamped flat. BTW, if it's not obvious by the second picture, this is when you would usually get a really good idea of what the veneer will look like once finished. The oranges and reds in this lot are incredible

I use a couple of 2" thick boards (we use this stuff at the shop). The same can be accomplished with multiple sheets of MDF or a combination of other materials, just needs to be reasonably flat. Brown paper like they used to make grocery sacks from is used to dry out the veneer. You can purchase a roll of the the brown paper from Home Depot. Cut it to size to match your boards. Place a couple of sheets on bottom and then your first set of veneer (next pic). Cover that with a single sheet of paper and then place your next set of veneer on top of that.

Two pieces end to end. Cover with a single sheet of the brown paper and then repeat the process for the next set of veneer. I usually limit my number of veneer layers to three. Once you have finished the layers, make sure the top has two sheets of paper (just like the bottom did). That will prevent a lot of the moisture from getting into your flattening boards.

Clamp for a few hours and open it back up to inspect for moisture. If needed, replace the paper and clamp for additional time until they are dry.

Here is a close up of one of the sidewall sets. There are a couple of splits about an inch left and right of the edges that will get worse if I don't soften and flatten this veneer. Can't even attempt to straighten the book match edges until this stuff is treated. Otherwise, the splits will grow. Once these were flattened, I added additional tape over the splits to prevent any glue from coming through and to help prevent any further expansion of the splits.

Ok guys, that's about enough for tonight, I'll try to add more tomorrow.

jcsperson

Outstanding work.

I'll be interested in the raffle when it is announced.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Love this kind of stuff.

And the CNC router is fabulous. Folks, I don't know if you recognize it but that machine is working in 5 axes cutting that miter for the baffle.

One day maybe I'll embrace Facebook. Yet another rabbit hole for my addictive nature to go running down...

HT cOz

Love this kind of stuff.

And the CNC router is fabulous. Folks, I don't know if you recognize it but that machine is working in 5 axes cutting that miter for the baffle.

One day maybe I'll embrace Facebook. Yet another rabbit hole for my addictive nature to go running down...

You can see Kevin's 5 way CNC in action here on a different project https://youtu.be/tgNVLO0mr1Y
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2020, 08:10 pm by HT cOz »

Phil A

Beautiful work (I'll be looking to see when the raffle is announced too).  I always admire people with skills.  Just not my skill set.  If I did any anything of an artistic nature, it would belong on the fridge with a magnet.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Selah Tribute build by Kevin Kendrick prepare for amazement
« Reply #29 on: 10 Jun 2020, 02:57 am »
:drool:

Call me amazed.  :thumb:

Has Rick announced how this raffle (or ???) will proceed?

Michael

Originally I thought a raffle might be possible using GoFundMe; however, like many other fundraising sites they don't allow raffles. I'm open to suggestions.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #30 on: 10 Jun 2020, 04:54 am »
Oh. Well. I don't have any experience with this either. How do businesses hold raffles? Does an attorney need to be involved?

The money could be placed in an escrow account with a record of who purchased how many shares. The attorney (I presume?) would keep track of things. Once all shares are sold, a winner is picked by using a drawing (paper, chits, or electronically?), but there would have to be total transparency. [I'd volunteer to do everything, but when (not if  :thankyou:) I declared myself the winner, some folks might not accept that I was completely honest.   :nono:]

Seriously though, have you determined the likely value of these speakers? How much will each share cost - $50, $100, $250, more?

Those are my thoughts or questions. Can anyone else think of ideas? Has anyone here held raffles before?

Michael
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2020, 06:47 am by mresseguie »

Stercom

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jun 2020, 01:34 pm »
Should probably take a look at info like this:  https://www.fundraiserhelp.com/fundraising-raffles.htm#:~:text= Fundraising Raffle Regulations ,tickets because sales... More

Maybe an auction through a third-party website with the money being donated at the end would be a better way to go. Just a thought

Phil A

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #33 on: 10 Jun 2020, 02:55 pm »
State laws do apply. Unless I’m misunderstanding the law in NC, where Rick lives, a raffle can only be conducted by a nonprofit, as below. And as much as some of us think of Selah as an ‘educational’ organization and by some, even as a ‘religion’ onto itself, I doubt NC state would think of Pastor Craig’s business as a true nonprofit.

https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_37.html

14-309.15.  Raffles.
(a)       It is lawful for any nonprofit organization, candidate, political committee, or any government entity within the State, to conduct raffles in accordance with this section. Each regional or county chapter of a nonprofit organization is eligible to conduct raffles in accordance with this section independently of its parent organization. Any person who conducts a raffle in violation of any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. Upon conviction that person shall not conduct a raffle for a period of one year. It is lawful to participate in a raffle conducted pursuant to this section. It is not a violation of State law to advertise a raffle conducted in accordance with this section. A raffle conducted pursuant to this section is not "gambling." For the purpose of this section, "candidate" and "political committee" have the meaning provided by Article 22A of Chapter 163 of the General Statutes, who have filed organization reports under that Article, and who are in good standing with the appropriate board of elections. Receipts and expenditures of a raffle by a candidate or political committee shall be reported in accordance with Article 22A of Chapter 163 of the General Statutes, and ticket purchases are contributions within the meaning of that Article.
(b)       For purposes of this section "raffle" means a game in which the prize is won by random drawing of the name or number of one or more persons purchasing chances.
(c)       A nonprofit organization may hold no more than four raffles per year.
(d)       Except as provided in subsection (g) of this section, the maximum cash prize that may be offered or paid for any one raffle is one hundred twenty-five thousand dollars ($125,000) and if merchandise is used as a prize, and it is not redeemable for cash, the maximum fair market value of that prize may be one hundred twenty-five thousand dollars ($125,000). The total cash prizes offered or paid by any nonprofit organization shall not exceed two hundred fifty thousand dollars ($250,000) in any calendar year. The total fair market value of all prizes offered by any nonprofit organization, either in cash or in merchandise that is not redeemable for cash, shall not exceed two hundred fifty thousand dollars ($250,000) in any calendar year.
(e)       Raffles shall not be conducted in conjunction with bingo.
(f)        As used in this subsection, "net proceeds of a raffle" means the receipts less the cost of prizes awarded. No less than ninety percent (90%) of the net proceeds of a raffle shall be used by the nonprofit organization for charitable, religious, educational, civic, or other nonprofit purposes. None of the net proceeds of the raffle shall be used to pay any person to conduct the raffle, or to rent a building where the tickets are received or sold or the drawing is conducted.

HT cOz

« Reply #34 on: 10 Jun 2020, 05:44 pm »
I think https://rallyup.com/ looks to be a good option. If we do it right other people could donate additional items and it could be an event like atmosphere. Happy to help any capacity needed. Jeff was always a super approachable gentlemen.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #35 on: 11 Jun 2020, 07:39 pm »
State laws do apply. Unless I’m misunderstanding the law in NC, where Rick lives, a raffle can only be conducted by a nonprofit, as below. And as much as some of us think of Selah as an ‘educational’ organization and by some, even as a ‘religion’ onto itself, I doubt NC state would think of Pastor Craig’s business as a true nonprofit.

https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_37.html

14-309.15.  Raffles.
(a)       It is lawful for any nonprofit organization, candidate, political committee, or any government entity within the State, to conduct raffles in accordance with this section. Each regional or county chapter of a nonprofit organization is eligible to conduct raffles in accordance with this section independently of its parent organization. Any person who conducts a raffle in violation of any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. Upon conviction that person shall not conduct a raffle for a period of one year. It is lawful to participate in a raffle conducted pursuant to this section. It is not a violation of State law to advertise a raffle conducted in accordance with this section. A raffle conducted pursuant to this section is not "gambling." For the purpose of this section, "candidate" and "political committee" have the meaning provided by Article 22A of Chapter 163 of the General Statutes, who have filed organization reports under that Article, and who are in good standing with the appropriate board of elections. Receipts and expenditures of a raffle by a candidate or political committee shall be reported in accordance with Article 22A of Chapter 163 of the General Statutes, and ticket purchases are contributions within the meaning of that Article.
(b)       For purposes of this section "raffle" means a game in which the prize is won by random drawing of the name or number of one or more persons purchasing chances.
(c)       A nonprofit organization may hold no more than four raffles per year.
(d)       Except as provided in subsection (g) of this section, the maximum cash prize that may be offered or paid for any one raffle is one hundred twenty-five thousand dollars ($125,000) and if merchandise is used as a prize, and it is not redeemable for cash, the maximum fair market value of that prize may be one hundred twenty-five thousand dollars ($125,000). The total cash prizes offered or paid by any nonprofit organization shall not exceed two hundred fifty thousand dollars ($250,000) in any calendar year. The total fair market value of all prizes offered by any nonprofit organization, either in cash or in merchandise that is not redeemable for cash, shall not exceed two hundred fifty thousand dollars ($250,000) in any calendar year.
(e)       Raffles shall not be conducted in conjunction with bingo.
(f)        As used in this subsection, "net proceeds of a raffle" means the receipts less the cost of prizes awarded. No less than ninety percent (90%) of the net proceeds of a raffle shall be used by the nonprofit organization for charitable, religious, educational, civic, or other nonprofit purposes. None of the net proceeds of the raffle shall be used to pay any person to conduct the raffle, or to rent a building where the tickets are received or sold or the drawing is conducted.

Thanks for looking this up. An auction looks to be the way to go.

jcsperson

« Reply #36 on: 12 Jun 2020, 01:00 am »

Just because the speakers are being built in NC doesn't mean the raffle has to be held here.

tktran303

« Reply #37 on: 12 Jun 2020, 12:21 pm »
Thanks for looking this up. An auction looks to be the way to go.

All proceeds to Jeff's spouse?

My bid:
$1K

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #38 on: 12 Jun 2020, 12:36 pm »
Just because the speakers are being built in NC doesn't mean the raffle has to be held here.

True, but most states have similar laws and regulations.

Cheers,
Lester

dflee

« Reply #39 on: 12 Jun 2020, 01:27 pm »
Could you not do something like the Karma circle.
Everyone who gets to pick a number has to have proof of donating a designated amount on
the gofundme site to Jeff. That way there is no monies per say directly involved.
If I remember correctly, you can look on the gofundme site to confirm donation.

Don