Stacked Speakers

tailspinrex

Stacked Speakers
« on: 16 Jul 2014, 10:13 pm »
I have two pairs of Pioneer speakers  (10 lbs each) with I stack on top of each other.  What do I place between the speakers and what between the speakers and the 24" stand?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Stacked Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:41 am »
I recommend four Square Fat Dots between each speaker, and four Square Fat Dots between each speaker and stand.

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:51 am »
I'd use a few small bits of blue tack (silly putty) between the speakers and stands.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:54 am »
We have lots and lots of customers who have replaced BluTac between speakers and stands with Fat Dots for improved sonic results. Nothing wrong with BluTac--Fat Dots are just better for isolation, though, and for bringing out more of the best potential of the speakers.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2014, 02:01 am »
I like blue tack primarily for it's security without doing anything permanent. There's no worry of speakers accidentally getting knocked off their stands and if your stands are nice and heavy, the combo is super sturdy. What might be a best of both worlds solution is blue tack between speakers and stands, then Fat Dots between speakers.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2014, 02:08 am »
BluTac is mostly used to prevent monitors from toppling over on stands that often have under-size top plates. Unfortunately, BluTac leaves much to be desired sonically. "Sticky" Fat Dots, with pressure-sensitive adhesive applied to one or both sides, is a better solution. Makes a strong bond between speaker and stand, yet is removable. Most important sonically, "Sticky" Fat Dots, including "Sticky" Square Fat Dots, provide superb isolation/decoupling between speaker and stand without resonance issues as occurs with BluTac, Sorbothane and many other materials. You'll usually get a better-defined, linear bass with general, subtle improvements throughout the audio spectrum with dBNeutralizer-based Fat Dots or "Sticky" Fat Dots because of better isolation of the speaker cabinet and subsequently better vibrational integrity of the speaker baffle.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2014, 02:16 am »
Interesting. I might have to try these myself. :thumb: