5V DC line in OK with Virtue Amps?

cynan

5V DC line in OK with Virtue Amps?
« on: 22 Aug 2012, 11:33 pm »
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but if so, I couldn't find it.

I have a source that puts out the normal 2.5V in single-ended and 5V in balanced. Will I risk hurting the virtue amp by using the balanced 5V output?

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: 5V DC line in OK with Virtue Amps?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2012, 03:24 am »
5v balanced?  That doesn't sound good to me.

I think Tripath doesn't want to see more than 2.5v and it's single ended.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

HiFlight

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2012, 08:24 pm »
While the output of a Tripath-based amplifier is essentially balanced in that both positive and negative outputs are actively driven, the input is unbalanced.  There is no provision for balanced inputs on the Sensation.   

Perhaps the OP meant a .5v  input rather than a 5v!

Ron

Xcalibur

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2012, 12:57 am »
Maybe the OP is talking about his DAC?  Some DACs hit 5V with balanced output.  Mine is 2.25V single ended and 4.5V running balanced for example.  They Wyred4Sound DACs output 5.2V balanced.

cynan

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:08 pm »
Maybe the OP is talking about his DAC?  Some DACs hit 5V with balanced output.  Mine is 2.25V single ended and 4.5V running balanced for example.  They Wyred4Sound DACs output 5.2V balanced.

Sorry, I lost track of this thread. But yes, this is exactly the situation I'm asking about. I have a DAC that has a standard ~2.5V single-ended output and a 5V balanced output. I was wondering if hooking up the balanced output on the DAC to the Virtue amps via a 3-pin XLR -> RCA adapter would be dangerous or not.

Looks like Seth is saying that more than 2.5V is a no-no?

I know that going balanced -> single ended via an adapter does not normally come with any sonic benefits, I was just looking for a way to connect the DAC to 2 amps without having to switch cables.

Edit: To complicate matters, the DAC can be switched to either be fixed or variable output (it has it's own volume control). So if the voltage is too high on "fixed" mode, I suppose I could run at half volume on "variable" mode (as long as I made sure that it did not output more than 2.5V..)

Xcalibur

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2012, 01:31 am »
There is such a thing as too much input voltage for an amp.  It depends upon the circuit design and other factors, but one thing to keep in mind is that 5V is your potential maximum output from the DAC.  Normal signal levels will be much lower than that so I doubt there is any danger, but it's always best to confirm with the experts.